2021 Reading Challenge discussion

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Cinder
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2017 > Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Jun 13, 2017 01:05PM) (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss ‘Marissa Meyers book, Cinder.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Mary Pat, Lindsay, Taylor R, Susy, Eirelyn, Joan, Chrissy, Brianna, Carrie, Kyla, Luisa, Ilona, Branigan, Shelly

message 2: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 97
Week 2: 97
Week 3: 97
Week 4: 97

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1152 comments I've "checked out" the ebook of this from the library. I enjoy fairytales & re-tellings, but I don't read much that is as tech-y sci-fi as this one seems to be (with the cyborgs & 'droids), so I'm very interested to find out how well I'll like this book! :D

Susy (susysstories) I'm about ⅓ into the story and really loving it so far. Since they didn't have an English edition at the library, I'm reading in Dutch now which makes it an even faster read. Tomorrow I'm doing a movie-day so no reading probably but hoping to read at least another third on Sunday or Monday.

Anybody else started yet?

Joan Barnett | 790 comments I'm starting tonight or tomorrow. I'm excited for this book. A lot of people have said they liked it.

Kate I read this last year and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I should try and complete the series one of these days. So many books so little time.

Susy (susysstories) I understand we'll be continuing the series so maybe you could join us next month Kate?

Joan Barnett | 790 comments I'm three chapters in and really enjoying it so far. It will probably be a quick read. The writing style is really easy. I like the characters already and the world building is interesting so far. I wish I had her little light to know if someone is lying or not.

Susy (susysstories) Joan wrote: "I wish I had her little light to know if someone was lying or not. ..."

Hahaha, yes, that would come in handy!

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1152 comments Lol, Joan, same here! That little lie detector light would come in handy!

I started yesterday & have read through chapter 4. The world is interesting, and I'm glad to be able to see very clear parallels to the original story, even in this vastly different world!

message 11: by Susy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susy (susysstories) Eirelyn wrote: "The world is interesting, and I'm glad to be able to see very clear parallels to the original story, even in this vastly different world..."

Yes, I love that too, even feel a little kick of excitement/joy, for example the reference to Cinderella's carriage.

message 12: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 790 comments So I've read through Chapter 11

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Susy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susy (susysstories) Joan wrote: "So I've read through Chapter 11

[spoilers removed]"

Any specific reason why you're not a fan of that element?
Completely agree with you on stepmom!

message 14: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments I am about 30% through this first book. I think I have a couple of things already figured out. I will have to wait and see if I am correct but (view spoiler)

The pace is just a little bit slow but I find that common with first books in series. The author has more time to build the tension when it is spread over a couple of books.

message 15: by Susy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susy (susysstories) Mary Pat wrote: "I am about 30% through this first book. I think I have a couple of things already figured out. I will have to wait and see if I am correct but [spoilers removed].."

Yes, some things become "obvious" quite early on in the story (I would be very surprised if the story took another turn) but not in a way that bothers me. I quite like the way it is written and the build up of the story. I think this will be one of my fastest reads (could be even faster if I didn't have so many other things going on this weekend like a "movie-day" lol)

message 16: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 790 comments I think I'm not a fan of that element because it has the possibility of being too real. I've kind of settled in with it though at this point. I agree some things do seem a little obvious at this point but I think I like that for this book.

message 17: by Susy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susy (susysstories) Same here

Chrissy | 224 comments I'm going to pick up a copy from the library on Wednesday, can I join the discussion?

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments If I have time this month I'm gonna try to jump in on this buddy read as well.

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1152 comments Chrissy & Brianna, yes yes, feel free to join us! :D

I've had a busy weekend so haven't read much on this (or anthing, really). Hopefully, I can start reading properly this week! :D

Carrie K | 1 comments I'm about halfway through. Got a hair appt today so probably going to read while the bleach and color develop. I'm enjoying this book so far! I do agree with some obvious things. I've been meaning to read Cinder for a while so I'm glad I finally got around to doing so. I'll probably buy Scarlet soon to continue on.

message 22: by Kyla (new) - added it

Kyla (kyl_aaaaaaa) | 47 comments Can you please put me on the list, Mary Pat? I've been in a reading slump and this has been on my TBR a while and I'll be able to fly through it.

message 23: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate Susy wrote: "I understand we'll be continuing the series so maybe you could join us next month Kate?"

That would be great!

message 24: by Luísa (new) - added it

Luísa Bastos (luisabastos) | 23 comments I've wanted to read this book for a long time! Can I join in? I have the ebook, so I can start reading it today!

message 25: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 790 comments Everyone feel free to join in. We love more discussions.

message 26: by Eirelyn (last edited Jun 05, 2017 06:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1152 comments I have finished ch 17.

I agree with you all on the "obvious" element. But it seems almost blatantly obvious, like the author wants us to know up front about this element without explicitly saying it... (view spoiler) That's the kind of vibe I get from the obviousness of this element, so I'm good with it. :D

Joan, I can see why that element would be a bit off-putting, for sure. I'm glad you're getting more used to it, though, since it seems to be such a big part of the book! :D (view spoiler)

message 27: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Chrissy, Brianna, Carrie, Kyla, Luisa - I have added you to the list of participants for this book and the others in the series. We will be reading Scarlet in July, Cress in August and Winter in September.

No pressure - just join us on the books you want to read!

message 28: by Mary Pat (last edited Jun 13, 2017 01:00PM) (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments I am starting Chapter 24 tonight. The tension of the story is definitely building and I am very curious to see what happens next. You could be right that the author is intentionally making some details more obvious - perhaps with the intention of surprising us? It will also be interesting to see if the story and characters play major roles in the next book or if they will focus on other characters from the same world.

At this point, I think (view spoiler)

On another note, I find that I have a soft spot for a couple of the supporting characters - especially Iko! She is so funny!

message 29: by Susy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susy (susysstories) Eirelyn wrote: "I agree with you all on the "obvious" element. But it seems almost blatantly obvious, like the author wants us to know up front about this element without explicitly saying it... (view spoiler) That's the kind of vibe I get from the obviousness of this element, so I'm good with it. :D..."

Yes I agree, it doesn't bother at all.

Joan, I can see why that element would be a bit off-putting, for sure. I'm glad you're getting more used to it, though, since it seems to be such a big part of the book! :D (view spoiler)..."

I'm liking the darker tone as well. I ended up really loving this story and can't wait to read Scarlet. Already read the novellas but they're so short....

message 30: by Susy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susy (susysstories) Mary Pat wrote: "On another note, I find that I have a soft spot for a couple of the supporting characters - especially Iko! She is so funny!..."

I really loved her! Read The Little Android (#2.6) and really loved her too, although the story is very sad...

message 31: by Joan (last edited Jun 06, 2017 04:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 790 comments I'm through Chapter 17 now. I guess I assumed it would be more frilly. I don't mind the plague now though. It kind of makes it more dystopian which is one of my favorite genres anyway. The blurb on the back of the book of my copy doesn't mention it but on the Goodreads blurb it does. I guess in the original Cinderella her real mother died from a plague. If work wasn't so busy this week I'd probably would have finished this already. It is a quick read.

Taylor C | 454 comments YESSSS!!! I'm excited for you all!!!

Oh dang... (view spoiler)

Shelly (shllybkwrm) | 2 comments I didn't even notice this was a read here until now! I coincidentally listened to Cinder last week and I'm on book 4 now. Loving the series! And I highly recommend the audio if anyone is still debating.

🐝 Bee 🐝  (branigansbooks) | 11 comments I ADORE THIS SERIES! I am beyond thrilled that I can discuss it!
It is so different than anything expected.

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1152 comments Joan wrote: "I'm through Chapter 17 now. I guess I assumed it would be more frilly. I don't mind the plague now though. It kind of makes it more dystopian which is one of my favorite genres anyway. The blurb on..."

I agree about the dystopian aspect, and that's one of my favorite genres as well! :D Also, I didn't realize that about Cinderella's mother in the original! That sort of parallel to the original kind of makes me enjoy it even more, lol.

message 36: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Just finished! The pace picked up quite a bit in the last third of the book and I was very engaged! No real surprises but the action and emotion of the characters was very enjoyable. I appreciated the fact that the ending was not typical and I look forward to what happens next!

message 37: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 790 comments I'm through chapter 26 now. Trying to fit reading in where I can this week. I'd be done already if I had more time. I like the characters. I think the relationship between Kai and Cinder is developing slowly. I almost want to skip to the end and see where it ends up.

Shelly (shllybkwrm) | 2 comments Kiwi_^^ wrote: "I've recently finished Scarlet and it was as awesome as Cinder.
Despite many unhappy things I think is very bad, I think the story is seriously Excellent and fun to read. It made me realise how goo..."

Click the "(some html is ok)" link top right of the comment box, spoiler tags are near the end.

message 39: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments I have copied Kiwi's post here and hidden the spoilers so that folks who haven't gotten that far don't read it accidentally. Kiwi, I will message you the details on how to hide spoilers.

I've recently finished Scarlet and it was as awesome as Cinder.
Despite many unhappy things I think is very bad, I think the story is seriously Excellent and fun to read. It made me realise how good sci-fic books are and it makes me want to read more. I'm sure whoever reads this series will definitely fall head over heels for this.

(view spoiler)

(P.s. How do you do the "hide spoiler" thing?)

message 40: by Kyla (new) - added it

Kyla (kyl_aaaaaaa) | 47 comments I just picked up my copy from the library :)

message 41: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 790 comments I finished it today. I did really like it. I ended up rating it 4 stars. The only thing I wanted was more interaction with Kai and Cinder. That's probably just the hopeless romantic in me though.

Chrissy | 224 comments I finished yesterday. I like the world and the plot, but I think plot and characters weren't developed enough? Hopefully the sequels will flesh things out a bit. One complaint -(view spoiler)

message 43: by Eirelyn (last edited Jun 11, 2017 11:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1152 comments I finished last night. I had basically picked this up to see what the fuss was all about, but I must say that I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. I gave it 4 stars. :D

One thing I really liked about this book was that it basically could have been a completely original novel, not based on the classic fairytale at all! But as it was, I liked that it was so different from Cinderella yet still had a lot of the elements, tweaked to fit this technologically advanced age. (view spoiler)

I wasn't surprised by any of the twists or turns, but I was okay with that. I had things figured out pretty early on, but it was fun to watch the characters figure them out as well. :)

(view spoiler)

I definitely plan to continue the series! :D

message 44: by Susy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susy (susysstories) Taylor R wrote: "YESSSS!!! I'm excited for you all!!!

Oh dang... [spoilers removed]"

Can't wait!,

message 45: by Susy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susy (susysstories) Chrissy wrote: "I finished yesterday. I like the world and the plot, but I think plot and characters weren't developed enough? Hopefully the sequels will flesh things out a bit. One complaint -[spoilers removed]"

Well, it is more or less de-humanizing in the sense that they are not completely human anymore....especially in Cinder's case. Humans have always had a problem with beings that are different from themselves (not everybody of course, but accepting someone that is different appears to be quite a challenge for a lot of people....)

message 46: by Susy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susy (susysstories) Eirelyn wrote: "I finished last night. I had basically picked this up to see what the fuss was all about, but I must say that I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. I gave it 4 stars. :D

One thing I really..."

Felt the same on both points you mentioned in your spoilers!

message 47: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 790 comments Eirelyn I agree with your spoilers as well but I didn't even realize (view spoiler)

message 48: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Eirelyn wrote: "I finished last night. I had basically picked this up to see what the fuss was all about, but I must say that I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. I gave it 4 stars. :D

One thing I really..."

There were a couple of other interesting tie-ins to the fairy tale! (view spoiler)

message 49: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (last edited Jun 13, 2017 11:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ilona | 3739 comments Hi guys, as this books has been on my tbr list for a while and everyone seems to be very enthusiastic about it, I would like to join :)
Will start reading tonight.

message 50: by Susy (last edited Jun 13, 2017 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susy (susysstories) I hope you like it as much as we did Ilona. Looking forward to hear what you think!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cinder (other topics)
Scarlet (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marissa Meyer (other topics)