Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats, #1)
This topic is about Traitor's Blade
2017 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Sarah & Runell - Traitor's Blade

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 5 stars

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5381 comments Mod
Sarah & Runell - Traitor's Blade

Sarah Hi Runell! I know it's not June yet but I thought I'd drop by and see when you'd like to start and what pace you'd like to go. I can start whenever you are ready!

Runell I'd love to go ahead and knock this one out of the park at the beginning of June if that works for you? I read pretty quickly (especially if the book is good and I can speed right through it) so whatever you'd like to do works for me, be it read at our own pace, read a number of chapters and discuss, etc.

Sarah Actually that works perfect for me too! I can go through a good book in a couple of days so I'm okay with that pace, do you want to try and get it done in the first week or so?

Sarah It looks like there are thirty chapters total, so if you wanted we could do 5/6 chapters a day?

Runell That works perfectly for me. :)

Sarah So I didn't get to do my 6 chapters yesterday- I figured I'd just do 12 today. I'm up to chapter 7 now so I figured I'd come drop my thoughts here.

I'm absolutely loving this book so far!! I love the characters (Kest is already my favorite) and I think the world building is subtle but thorough. Things are introduced in bits and pieces which make it easy to digest and don't slow the pace down.

I think so far what I'm most interested to see is why Falcio abandoned his king if he loves him so much? I really hope it gets explained at some point. It's jarring for me to keep hearing him defend the king who he ordered the Greatcoats not to fight to defend him.

On a side note- how do you think Falcio is pronounced? I've been imagining it as Fal-Kee-o but I feel like that's wrong.

Runell I'm a little behind as I'm on chapter 11, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm in love with the humor.

I'm very interested in this as well. I think it has to do with the King's wishes or whatever you want to call them that he gave to each of the men. I'm also very curious to see what the others were asked of.

I've been pronouncing it as Fa-lee-cee-o, but I doubt that's right either so who knows how it's really pronounced. Hahaha.

How far have you gotten?

Sarah I'm at Chapter 21. It's so hard to put down! The action is non-stop in this book. I almost wish the author would give us a break, haha! I mean that in a good way though.

Without spoiling anything, I really like the way the author has weaved the flashbacks in at appropriate times. It feels really natural and doesn't feel like some kind of boring info-dump.

Sarah How are you doing so far? I'm almost at the end. I'm sorry if I've been a bad book buddy. This one didn't lend me as much food for thought as other books do. I don't mean that in a bad way- it's just pretty straightforward.

Runell I'm now on chapter 20 and still enjoying it.

Chapter 19 though, The Fey Horse, just made me a little sick to my stomach. I can't stand animal abuse, even animal abuse that is fiction, so that chapter was a hard one to get through. I hope that Queen Patriana gets what's coming to her very soon.

And you're not being a bad book buddy at all because as you said, it's pretty straight forward. I'm just glad I'm finally catching up. Work and spending time with the boyfriend is keeping me from reading as much as I would like.

message 12: by Sarah (last edited Jun 06, 2017 06:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah Yeah that was a tough chapter. And I'm totally with you on the animal abuse. I remember there was a Stephen King book I read, Mr. Mercedes, and the serial killer was planning to poison a kid's dog. The whole time I was thinking "Oh God no! Not the Dog!!!" Even though the killer had already killed a bunch of other people, it was the dog that I was upset about. (The twist to the planned dog killing was phenomenal and backfired royally. The dog lived.)

Without spoiling too much- the Fey Horse serves an important purpose though, and it's worth getting through the chapter to see her "story".

Runell Okay, so I finished it at work and oh. my. God. I need the second book, now.

Because yessssss.

Sarah I'm going to finish today. I have the next two ordered and I'm checking the USPS tracker every five minutes, like- is it here yet? Amazon is telling me Monday but I don't think I'll be very happy if I miss the weekend to read them :(. Lol

Runell I ordered the next one through the library and I'm so excited to get my hands on it, but I'm going to have to buy the first two after I read it and the last two because my library system ONLY has the first two which suuuuucks and I know that I'm going to want to own this series anyways.

Sarah I ordered the next two used on Amazon for $15 total. I'm kind of mad at myself because they were all three on sale in the kindle store last month for $1.99 and I only bought the first one because I wasn't sure if I would like it or not.

But like you said- it'll be a series I want to own eventually anyway so I guess it's okay. USPS updated this morning it's out for delivery so I know what I'll be up to this weekend!