The Aeronaut's Windlass (The Cinder Spires, #1) The Aeronaut's Windlass question

Difficulty finishing.......
Bonnie Jennings Bonnie May 27, 2017 03:04PM
I am finding lately that im having difficulty finishing books. Ive never experienced this before. I must have at least ten that ive started and then set aside. Has anyone else experienced this? I usually plug through a book until im finished, just to give it a chance to pick up if im not into it a hundred percent. Ugh. Maybe its just the books im choosing, but im even having problems finishing the jim butcher steampunk (jim is one of my top ten authors) .

I went through this about a year and a half ago. I've heard it happens to a lot of avid readers- especially those that tend to gravitate towards one or two genres. I couldn't read ANYTHING. What got me out of my slump was reading something that was completely unlike what I would otherwise read. I also got out of my slump by starting to try out audio books. I found that part of why I could never sit and finish a book was because I was so swamped with other things (commute to and from school/work, house chores, all kinds of stuff) and found audio books helped me enjoy books while taking care of other things needing to be done.

This was the first Jim Butcher book I've visited, and I listened to the audio version. If you enjoy listening to books, or even if you don't, I high recommend this book by audio, the narrator is Euan Morton and he is FANTASTIC.

As far as this book is concerned, I loved it and had no problems reading or finishing it, but I also know that some books just don't resonate with some readers, regardless of author/genre matchups. Best of luck to you :)

Matt Forehand I second the audio book idea. I've listened to all the Dresden Files Audio books and loved them. It's easy to listen to them while your cutting grass ...more
Aug 02, 2017 01:13PM · flag

I've found that this just happens to me sometimes. There can be all kinds of things behind it.

For me, if I finish a really long series that I absolutely love, it can be very hard to get into anything else. If the tone is too different, it's like, "This isn't what I'm used to," but if it's too similar, it's like, "Meh. This isn't as good as what I'm used to."

Other times, I just really am not finding anything good to read--or at least good for me (everyone has their own tastes). Sometimes, you have to do some work to find something that clicks with you.

It could also just be the place you're in right now. Life is just like that sometimes. I don't think it's the book, in this case. I read The Aeronaut's Windlass in like 2 or 3 days and loved it, and I'm not even a big Jim Butcher fan.

Try to switch up what kind of books you read. I read a lot of urban fantasy series. Every once in a while, I get bored with it. So, I switch to science fiction for a while. Throw in an occasional nonfiction book every now and then and I stay interested.