Goodreads Developers discussion

examples / showcase > Bookstats - Detailed statistics about your reading habits

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Klinger | 2 comments I made a web app that shows detailed statistics about a user's library. It doesn't actually use the API, it just parses the .csv from the export library feature.

It's available here.

And here's a screenshot of what it looks like for my library.

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike Greene | 5 comments This is very cool. Out of curiosity, how does it handle if you have multiple reading dates for a single book, in other words, if you have read a book more than once?

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Klinger | 2 comments Mike wrote: "This is very cool. Out of curiosity, how does it handle if you have multiple reading dates for a single book, in other words, if you have read a book more than once?"

It will be counted once for rating and author statistics and multiple times for "books per month" and other time based ones.

Currently it also counts all re-readings separately for number of books/pages read, that might have been a typo on my part, I'm not sure what I intended there.

That all assumed that you added the re-reading dates to the export file using the tool linked in the page, by default Goodreads only includes one date when exporting.

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike Greene | 5 comments Paul wrote: "That all assumed that you added the re-reading dates to the export file using the tool linked in the page, by default Goodreads only includes one date when exporting. "

Yeah, that is the reason I have not switched from Librarything.com to GoodReads. I can get the multiple reads from LibraryThing.

Here is the crappy version that I made a couple of years ago:
http://oldforest.net/apps/BookTimeLin...

Stinks like crazy compared to yours.

Here's a javascript Timeline module I made using MIT's timeline
javascript library:
http://oldforest.net/index.php/book-t...

It also uses data from LibraryThing, since you can't get anything reasonable from GoodReads.

I troll these forums in hopes that one day GR will give us something.