Literarily Perfect Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Olivia, LivTheBookNerdBookClub (new)

Olivia (livthebooknerd) | 97 comments Mod
More discussion!

message 2: by Olivia, LivTheBookNerdBookClub (new)

Olivia (livthebooknerd) | 97 comments Mod
So, we've met some more characters and the story has progressed and more sub-plots have developed.

So far, I'm having a hard time getting into the book, but I think that's just because I'm only 80 pages in. It's not that I'm uninterested, it's just that there is a bunch that is being established.

The amount of Japanese culture that has been woven into this fantasy novel is wonderful! I used to read historical fiction stories about influential royal people (fictional diaries that were written like the royal person wrote them). They were all apart of The Royal Diaries. I read one really cool one about Kazunomiya who was Japanese royalty back in 1858. It was right as Japan was opening up trade relations with the outside world. My twin sister and I were so fascinated with Japan after we read this book.

Book Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

I'm really excited to get into the magical bits of the story and to see how this whole book plays out. I'm not going to lie, I just knew that this book was written by Renee Ahdieh, it took place in feudal Japan, and that there was magic. That's all I needed to hear. So, I don't even know where this book is going to go.

Not only that, there is some badass looking fanart and Renee Ahdieh has posted a bunch of character art BEA/BookExpo/BookCon exclusive cards that have made me totally psyched for this book. Oh and my favorite independent bookish candle shops are releasing gorgeous candles based off the book, so if I love this book as much as I loved The Wrath & the Dawn then I'm going to go crazy with buying merch.

~

message 3: by Julia Marie (new)

Julia Marie  (julietmarie) | 22 comments Mod
Well... I'm actually on page 179 now... and quite frankly I can't mention anything about this section without spoiling things...

what Liv said was spot on, and I'm in the same boat as her when it comes to what to expect! I actually didn't know there was magic, so imagine my surprise!

I will say I kinda see a romance in the future, either Mariko with Ranmaru or Okami. It's just a very YA style move, but I could be wrong. I kinda hope I am. It would make the story much more dynamic

~ Juju