The Challenge Factory discussion

Milkshakes, Mermaids, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #8)
This topic is about Milkshakes, Mermaids, and Murder
2017 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Claire, Daph & Jonquil - Milkshakes, Mermaids, and Murder

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5838 comments Mod
Claire, Daph & Jonquil - Milkshakes, Mermaids, and Murder

message 2: by Jonquil (last edited May 27, 2017 09:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jonquil | 699 comments I've checked out the library book and it's due 6/17, so I can start anytime until the 17th. If we start later, I'll put it on hold again.

Let me know when you'd like to start; any date is fine with me.

D.L. | 621 comments Jonquil wrote: "I've checked out the library book and it's due 6/17.
Let me know when you'd like to start; any date is fine with me."

I'm ready to start when you two are. :) I have it within reaching distance right now lol

Thanks for setting up the thread, Denise! And Jonquil and Claire, thanks for letting me tag along for the fun reading experience!

message 4: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire  | 139 comments Super! I'll download it asap as ebook,

D.L. | 621 comments I am going to start reading it tonight, I think, but will wait to post details until you two are ready to discuss it. Thanks again :)

message 6: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire  | 139 comments Super, I'll start asap this week, cause it might take me some time longer. No version in my language, so reading is a bit slower:-)

D.L. | 621 comments Claire wrote: "Super, I'll start asap this week, cause it might take me some time longer. No version in my language, so reading is a bit slower:-)"

Glad you will be reading with us and take your time, I say :)

D.L. | 621 comments I didn't get to start last night but can probably do so tonight since I threw out my back (grr lol) and will be doing a lot of reading til it feels better.

D.L. | 621 comments I got to read the first chapter this morning so far. It's really off to a cute start. The main character Ellie is a very likable, relate-able protagonist. I will read more this afternoon. I can't wait to hear what you all think of it!

Jonquil | 699 comments Daph wrote: "I didn't get to start last night but can probably do so tonight since I threw out my back (grr lol) and will be doing a lot of reading til it feels better."

Ouch! Hopefully the book isn't funny enough that laughing will make your back hurt!

Jonquil | 699 comments I'm starting this afternoon. I'll check how far each of you have read before I post any spoiler-possible comments.

Happy reading, Ladies.

message 12: by D.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

D.L. | 621 comments Jonquil wrote: "Daph wrote: "I didn't get to start last night but can probably do so tonight since I threw out my back (grr lol) and will be doing a lot of reading til it feels better."

Ouch! Hopefully the book i..."

I hope not lol But it's starting to feel a bit better, thank goodness!

message 13: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire  | 139 comments Good to hear you feel a bit better, Daph.
I'm currently at 25 % of the book. It's a nice read and easy to read in English. I have still no clue what is going on. So that is a good mystery!

message 14: by Jonquil (last edited Jun 02, 2017 08:17AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jonquil | 699 comments Claire wrote: "Good to hear you feel a bit better, Daph.
I'm currently at 25 % of the book. It's a nice read and easy to read in English. I have still no clue what is going on. So that is a good mystery!"

Funny you say that, Claire, because I was thinking the same thing. I keep thinking I know where the story is heading and then I wonder if I missed something because I'm confused. Not bad or frustrated confused, just puzzled but willing to let the story unfold.

I also like Rosett's writing style. Enough detail to paint images of the places, people and things, but she doesn't get bogged down in the hook--the professional organizing. Rosett doesn't let us forget the organizing. I flipped back, but can't find the passage, so I'm working from memory of the scene when Ellie is looking at a desk covered in messy piles and silently admonishes herself that she's not there as an organizing professional.

Some cozies read as though the author wrote the mystery and then went back and pasted in sewing facts or baking tips. That said, when we're all finished reading I have a question about the organizing tips at the end of some chapters. I've had the question since I read two earlier books, and I'm thrilled that I can discuss it with both of you.

Today is my day off, after I do some puttering, I'm going to dive back in.

message 15: by D.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

D.L. | 621 comments I will read more today. Got all afternoon free, thank goodness.

Rosett has a very conversational writing style. I look forward to getting deeper into the story.

message 16: by Jonquil (last edited Jun 02, 2017 01:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jonquil | 699 comments I finished.

The final few pages explain the everything from the mixed up bags to the arrests. If I'd known I wouldn't have reread the confusing sections.

No rush, I took notes on what I want to remember. And I'm about to start an audiobook so I can fold laundry.

message 17: by D.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

D.L. | 621 comments You finished? Awesome! I am at only 12%! I feel badly, sorry, ladies, but I do plan to do some major page-turning tonight. Hopefully I can hit at least 40% by tomorrow.

message 18: by Jonquil (last edited Jun 03, 2017 07:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jonquil | 699 comments Daph wrote: "You finished? Awesome! I am at only 12%! I feel badly, sorry, ladies, but I do plan to do some major page-turning tonight. Hopefully I can hit at least 40% by tomorrow."

Take your time, there's no rush. I have my notes and I won't return the book until we can all chat. This is meant to be fun, not an obligation. :-)

message 19: by D.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

D.L. | 621 comments Jonquil wrote: "Daph wrote: "You finished? Awesome! I am at only 12%! I feel badly, sorry, ladies, but I do plan to do some major page-turning tonight. Hopefully I can hit at least 40% by tomorrow."

Take your tim..."

Good points. TY! I appreciate you reminding me it's for fun and not a race :)

message 20: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire  | 139 comments Hi ladies, I've finished the book. But for those still reading: enjoy it and don't rush. Juin has 30 days.

message 21: by D.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

D.L. | 621 comments Claire wrote: "Hi ladies, I've finished the book. But for those still reading: enjoy it and don't rush. Juin has 30 days."

Awesome you finished it! So did Jonquil. I should have it done by Monday so we can really discuss it in depth. I am excited!

Jonquil | 699 comments Daph wrote: "Claire wrote: "Hi ladies, I've finished the book. But for those still reading: enjoy it and don't rush. Juin has 30 days."

Awesome you finished it! So did Jonquil. I should have it done by Monday ..."

Monday is perfect for me. I'm consumed with a big work project and then I'll have to do the things I ignored to get it done, so next week works well for me.

message 23: by Jonquil (last edited Jun 08, 2017 05:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jonquil | 699 comments I live in US Central time. Is there a time that will work for all our time zones so we don't seem like (I'm about to really date myself) penpals. I remember the days when one sent a letter and then waited days for the response to appear, then they waited days on your reply to their reply.

We don't have to be on simultaneously, but it flows better if we're at least all commenting on the same date.

message 24: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire  | 139 comments Monday works for me, but maybe not in hours that correspond with your hours...i'm not available on my Monday evening in My time zone (Brussels, Paris)

message 25: by D.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

D.L. | 621 comments My timezone is Pacific/California time. And I'm available to chat most of that day & night so let me know when you're ready :)

message 26: by D.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

D.L. | 621 comments Way late! But I did finish the book. I can honestly say it wasn't my favorite. It wasn't terrible or anything. It just seemed to lag in parts. What are your thoughts on the book, everyone?

Jonquil | 699 comments Haven't had internet access and not sure about tomorrow but here goes.

Jonquil | 699 comments I gave it three stars, so I'm guessing each of us is in the didn't love but managed to finish it group.

Jonquil | 699 comments One of the things I wanted to ask the two of you about is the thing I've wondered for both of these books I've read.

I didn't find a single useful organizing hint in either book. Most of the suggestions seemed pretty obvious to me or had been covered many times on daytime programming aimed at housewives, retirees and people taking a sick day from work.

In two of my jobs I was required to conduct community education seminars, and people frequently requested organizing. So I'm not sure if the hints in these books were obvious for me because I've read so many "self-help" books in order to teach the seminars or if they really are simplistic.

Jonquil | 699 comments Chapter 22 - personal pet peeve.

This chapter explained who did what, what happened and why they think it happened that way. I have no patience for summary chapters. (1) Either the existence of the recap indicates that the author or editor believes she failed in writing a clear narrative. Or (2) they think the reader was too stupid? distracted? out-of-touch? to understand what they just read in the previous 270 pages.

Thoughts?

message 31: by D.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

D.L. | 621 comments Jonquil wrote: "One of the things I wanted to ask the two of you about is the thing I've wondered for both of these books I've read.

I didn't find a single useful organizing hint in either book. Most of the sugg..."

I didn't find the tips helpful either. At all lol Seems like things most people know.

message 32: by D.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

D.L. | 621 comments Jonquil wrote: "Chapter 22 - personal pet peeve.

This chapter explained who did what, what happened and why they think it happened that way. I have no patience for summary chapters. (1) Either the existence of t..."

OMG I totally agree. I disliked that everything was recapped for us. It felt very exposition-ridden and exposition is telling, instead of showing, which is a big no-no with novels. Recap chapters are so annoying and needless.

I did like Ben took notice of Monica, the paparazzi - excuse me, reporter - woman that helped Ellie thru her ordeal. I was hoping that would happen somehow because Monica was my favorite thing about the book. Wait... her name was Monica right? lol The details are already fading. It was one forgettable book, though certainly not terrible.

message 33: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire  | 139 comments I thought it was a good read. Nicely written, no brains needed,. Something for a very hot day on a beach.
I didn't think it was a good book. I like more character development, less stupid characters and a storyline that doesn't look like: 'see I managed to tie everything together, but that's about it'

About the organization stuff: I thought the clue would be she kept the pictures online right away. After all..she is an organizer. She gave plenty of tips while she carried on doing it wrong herself.

I gave it three stars, cause I can't honestely say it is bad, but it certainly has not what I look for in a book.

message 34: by D.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

D.L. | 621 comments Looks like we all gave it 3 stars which I think of as meaning "mediocre" book lol

Jonquil | 699 comments Claire wrote: "She gave plenty of tips while she carried on doing it wrong herself...."

Funny, Claire! You are exactly right. It did diminish the effectiveness of all those hints.