Golden Hill Golden Hill discussion

Golden Hill, Esil, Angela and Diane

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane S ☔ Starting June 1st.

Angela M Good morning,
I'm starting this when I go to the gym this morning. There are 10 chapters and it's only 320 pages. How about commenting on chapters 1-3, 4-6, 7-10?

Have a great day !

Diane S ☔ Sounds great, Angela. Took a quick look at it this morning. seems like it might be a slower read as it is very descriptive.

Angela M Definitely agree, Diane. It will be a slower read for both the descriptive writing and the language.

Esil Hello ladies! Looking forward to starting this one tomorrow.

Diane S ☔ Finished the first three chapters, took that long for me to get into the groove of this. Very descriptive, very detailed. Not sure what to make of Smith, taking his money out was very nice, but in other ways he seems very cunning. Don't know him well yet but do feel I have a thorough of time and place. Interesting how the Jacobite were viewed in America.

Angela M Diane , not surprisingly my reactions are pretty much the same as yours . I found it a slow go getting through 1-3 because of the descriptive writing which I like and the language feels like it's of the time as well . Smith is definitely a bit mysterious and I hope we find out more about him soon . I thought the scalps were a bit creepy ! I have always enjoyed books describing historic New York, but I'm hoping the story line grabs me a little more.

I don't have much to add to what you've said . Haven't had time to read much more but on to 4-6 tonight.

Hope you are feeling better , Diane .

Esil, hope things are slowing down a bit for you at work.

Diane S ☔ I agree Angela, liking the atmosphere but there seems to be more descriptions than storyline.

Diane S ☔ Esil, it is the last month of our fiscal year and all departments are ordering like mad trying to spend the rest of their budgets. I can't keep up and am so overwhelmed. I feel for you.

message 10: by Esil (new) - rated it 3 stars

Esil I just finished chapter 1. I'm hoping I'll catch up this weekend. I must admit that this one is not grabbing me so far. The language and sense of time are good, but they feel like the star of the show. So far I'm not getting a sense of plot or depth of character. But it's still early in the book...

Thanks Angela and Diane. I'm in the process of making a big change in my work life. It's very positive, but taking up a lot of time and energy. Thankfully it's Friday, and I don't have to work this weekend. I'll have time to catch my breath and catch up on some reading :)

Angela M Finished 3-6

When I suggested when we should comment I didn't realize that 1-3 would be over half the book !

I must admit that I found it somewhat boring until Ch 4 and too slow to unfold - at over half way . The only things of interest for me were finding out about Smith's grandfather being a slave and then his relationship with Tabitha . Have to admit I skimmed some but I'm interested enough to finish now that I'm 75% in . I enjoyed the descriptions early on, especially when Smith first arrived and described his surroundings, but then felt a little bogged down.

message 12: by Esil (new) - rated it 3 stars

Esil I just finished chapter 3. I'm feeling much as you did, Angela, in your description of chapters 1-3. I can see the skill, like the language, am engaged by some scenes (for example, after Septimus rescues Smith) and am somewhat interested in the mystery of Smith's backstory, but I do find myself doing a fair bit of skimming to move ahead. I'm glad to hear that you think it gets better after chapter 3 -- although this is already half way through.

Diane S ☔ Now in the middle of chapter five and liking it a bit more. Think it takes a very patient reader for this one. Everything is so detailed including the card game. Do like Tabitha, some of the interplay between her and Smith reminds me a little of Darcy and Elizabeth. Admit to skinning parts as well. Lol

Angela M I'm starting another book and will come back to the last few chapters tomorrow. I'm feeling like I'm going to be an outlier, given the high ratings it's gotten. Before we started , I read a couple of reviews in the British newspapers and the reviews are glowing. I'm just not loving it . Only a few more chapters!
Glad to know you both skimmed too - wonder if we missed the same things - lol !

message 15: by Esil (new) - rated it 3 stars

Esil I just finished chapter 6. This one feels like more work than fun, although I get why others have really liked it. I'm going to aim to finish it tomorrow.

Diane S ☔ Finished Chapter six too. There are parts of this I do like but it is hidden within so much I could do without.

message 17: by Esil (last edited Jun 04, 2017 04:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Esil So I woke up ridiculously early and finished it. I quite liked the last few chapters, and certainly more than the rest of the book. I especially liked the last three shorter chapters. What's revealed at the end about Smith's purpose made me wish I liked the book as whole more. I also really liked the last chapter told from Tabitha's perspective many years later. It made me wish she had been given more of a voice thoughtout. I think I'm going to land on three stars with a recognition that this book had some real strengths but it didn't consistently hold my attention. Looking forward to your final thoughts.

Angela M I finished it late last night and feel much the same as you , Esil. It will be 3 stars for me as well. It. It may have held my interest more if we had known earlier what we don't find out until the end . I suspected that there was something related to Smith's grandfather being a slave which we do find out earlier . I would like to have known what he did after he left . I thought I'd like it more .

message 19: by Esil (new) - rated it 3 stars

Esil I just posted my review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I hope you're both up for another buddy read in early July. I'm hoping my work situation will have calmed down by then, and overall I'm expecting a quiet summer which should make for some excellent reading time :)

Angela M I may not have finished it if this wasn't a buddy read ! Perfect review, Esil .

Angela M I just posted my short review. I didn't have much to say , otherwise I'd be repeating your review, Looking forward to your final thoughts, Diane.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Diane S ☔ I have finished and am thinking about it. Think I ended up liking it more than you both did. Will be back with my thoughts either later today or tomorrow.

Angela M I'm anxious to read The Heart's Invisible Furies if you both have it . What do you think ?

message 24: by Esil (new) - rated it 3 stars

Esil Angela M wrote: "I'm anxious to read The Heart's Invisible Furies if you both have it . What do you think ?"

I was declined for a copy, but I've sent an email to the publisher to see if they would reconsider. I mentioned I would read it as a buddy read. Fingers crossed. I'll let you know. Otherwise hopefully we can land on something else that works for the three of us.

Angela M Hope you get it , Esil but if not I'm open . I'm sure there's something else we all have .

Diane S ☔ My review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I do have it but if that doesn't work do you both have Sing, Unburied, Sing?

Angela M I have Sing, Unburied, Sing . I hedged my bets and got it from both NetGalley and Edelweiss- lol. If Esil has it that would be great.

message 28: by Esil (new) - rated it 3 stars

Esil Angela M wrote: "I have Sing, Unburied, Sing . I hedged my bets and got it from both NetGalley and Edelweiss- lol. If Esil has it that would be great."

I have it too and that works for me. If I end up getting The Heart's Invisible Furies, maybe we can read one in July and one in August. I'll let you know. I'm so enjoying these beginning of the month buddy reads!

Angela M Sounds good . I'm enjoying them too !

Diane S ☔ Ditto, ditto, ditto ladies. Lol

message 31: by Esil (last edited Jun 08, 2017 03:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Esil I don't seem to be having any luck getting The Heart's Invisible Fury. But I just got The Way Back to Florence on Netgalley. It got rave reviews from many GR friends. I see you both have it on your tbr lists. It seems to be easily available on Netgalley if you don't yet have it. I got it a few minutes after my request. If you're interested, maybe we can read this one in July and then Jesmyn Ward's book in August.

Angela M The Way Back to Florence works for me . Before it was on NetGalley, I bought it for $1.99 and I've had it for months so happy to get to it .

Diane S ☔ Have it too, so works for me.