Play Book Tag discussion

The Stars Are Fire
This topic is about The Stars Are Fire
Archive: Other Books > The Stars Are Fire - Anita Shreve - three stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments The Stars Are Fire is my first experience with Anita Shreve's writing. I was so drawn by the cover! I know it's not the greatest reason to choose a book, but on impulse I dived in. The story, set in 1947, is of Grace Holland, a woman in a less loveless and awkward marriage. Fire ravage the coast where she lives and her husband goes missing. Their house has been destroyed and she is left pregnant with two toddlers to care for with no money and no income. What ensues is the story of her survival.

It kicked off really well and I found it compulsively readable and really enjoyed the style. After the first fifty pages or so that feeling wore off and it fell short for me after that. I did find it very readable, but I didn't feel the depth of emotion was conveyed as convincingly as was intended. I was never really invested in the story, and I did find it a bit cliched and predicatable after a while. Oh well. You can't win them all.

Raine (rainelu) | 243 comments I loved this book, but at the ending I went - say what? That would never happen - lol

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Raine wrote: "I loved this book, but at the ending I went - say what? That would never happen - lol"

I agree, but I was okay with it.

Susie | 4488 comments I just felt like it was wrapped up too neatly. For me it was an easy read that was pleasant enough but I won't remember it. I'm not quite sure why I didn't feel connected. Perhaps the characters, all but Grace, weren't developed enough?