Play Book Tag discussion

Runaway
This topic is about Runaway
May 2017: 2004 > Runaway - Alice Munro - four stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments I always label myself as a person who doesn't like to read short stories, and yet I really enjoyed the stories in Runaway. I had a previous taste of Munro's writing, reading Away From Her last year and being pleasantly surprised. These stories all centred upon love and it's many guises and complexities, and despite the stories being short they were able to convey an emotional depth to rival a novel. I will certainly think twice about saying I don't like short stories from now on, thanks to Munroe. Perhaps I should say I only like good ones!

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6255 comments I have had this on my TBR for.ev.er. It's insane. I love Munro, and I really want to read this one. As I get older, I find I'm appreciating short stories more and more. I beg you to try Tenth of December at some point . . .

message 3: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8028 comments I'm not a short story fan myself, and I've been wanting to try Munro for years. She is such an iconic Canadian author that I feel like I should try something by her, so I finally read her novel, The Lives of Girls and Women (just posted a review... last week, I think). It was ok, but someone at LT also mentioned Runaway as short stories she enjoyed when she doesn't usually enjoy short stories, so I'm going to also give this one a try.

Susie | 4488 comments I hope you like it Cin. Three of the stories are about the same person so they read more like a novel. I think that helped.

Anita, I'm definitely going to get to Tenth of December after experiencing his writing with Lincoln.

message 5: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8028 comments Susie wrote: "I hope you like it Cin. Three of the stories are about the same person so they read more like a novel. I think that helped. ..."

Yeah, I can see where that would help!