The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 30.2 - Ava Catherine's Task: Celebrate Summer

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 30, 2017 05:02AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
30.2 - Ava Catherine’s Task: Celebrate Summer

This is a two book task. Read one book from each of two different options.
REQUIRED: Identify which options you select when you post.

No book with the main page genre Children or Kids may be used.

Summer, my favorite season, is a time to celebrate growth both in nature and in our personal lives, too. I enjoy the lush growth of my flower garden, visiting local farmers’ markets, and exploring nature trails with my dog during summer. Sitting in my garden, I often find myself contemplating new ideas and broader visions, and the serenity of nature promotes an opportunity for creative and expansive thinking. Maybe that is why I enjoy it so much.

Option 1: Plants
Look for a book that celebrates the abundance of nature in summer. Read a book with a living plant (tree, flower, fruit growing on plant) on the cover. The plant must be shown in nature or living in a pot (with roots) to qualify.
REQUIRED: Include the cover when you post.

Option 2: Bees
Bees are vital to a thriving garden. Read a book with bees (or a bee) on the cover. If the insect(s) on the cover are not clearly bees, please explain why they are bees (rather than wasps or some other flying insects).
REQUIRED: Include the cover when you post.

Option 3: Nature
Read a book with the main page genre environment or nature. These may be stand alone or embedded.

Option 4: Vacation
Summer is vacation time! Read a book whose author’s initials can be found in VACATION. Middle name initials may be ignored. Letters may only be used as often as they appear. Spaces determine names. One qualifying author in a work by multiple contributors works.

Option 5: Personal Growth
Read a book that may change your perceptions about the world and will encourage you to grow. Select a book from the first fifteen (15) pages of the list Books that Changed the Way You View Life. (Be certain that the book you select meets task and SRC requirements.)
REQUIRED: State the page and number of the book on the list when posting.

message 2: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 31, 2017 06:17PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Option 1: Plants (must be a living plant)
Approved

Songs from the Violet Café by Fiona Kidman Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1) by Seanan McGuire The Summer Book by Tove Jansson Puzzled Indemnity (Puzzle Lady #16) by Parnell Hall Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2) by Susie Steiner Penhale Wood by Julia Thomas Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons Judgment Call (Joanna Brady #15) by J.A. Jance Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman A Fierce and Subtle Poison by Samantha Mabry The Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3) by M.C. Beaton In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2) by Tamora Pierce Summer Breeze by Nancy Thayer Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) by Kristen Britain Before the Storm (Before the Storm, #1) by Diane Chamberlain Kaleidoscope (Colorado Mountain, #6) by Kristen Ashley Nainen ja apina by Peter Høeg Mind Games (Lock & Mori, #2) by Heather W. Petty

message 3: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 31, 2017 05:44PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Option 1: Plants (must be a living plant)
Not Approved

The Breakdown by B.A. Paris The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis

message 4: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jun 03, 2017 08:30AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Option 2: Bees
Approved:

Honey Queen by Christina Mercer The Bees by Laline Paull In Praise of the Bees by Kristin Gleeson

message 5: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 31, 2017 05:59PM) (new)

message 6: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 7: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 260 comments Would grass count sufficiently as a plant, or are you looking for something a little bigger? Either way is great, I just wanted to check! :)

message 8: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments Will any of these covers work for Option 1?

Songs from the Violet Café by Fiona Kidman

The Breakdown by B.A. Paris

Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2) by Susie Steiner

Penhale Wood by Julia Thomas

message 9: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Are the trees around the doorway on this one okay for Option 1?
Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1) by Seanan McGuire

message 10: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3373 comments Would either of these work for Option 1
The Summer Book by Tove Jansson Trees on the Island
Puzzled Indemnity (Puzzle Lady #16) by Parnell Hall Plane in pot on the right hand side

message 11: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 260 comments Actually, a second check through my TBR pile revealed that I actually had more potentially working books with trees than I thought. Would Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons work?

message 12: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3828 comments Would this tree work? Judgment Call (Joanna Brady #15) by J.A. Jance

message 13: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman will this work for option 1

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments A Fierce and Subtle Poison by Samantha Mabry will this work for opt. 1?

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3612 comments This pot is broken ... will it still work for Opt 1?
The Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3) by M.C. Beaton

message 16: by Shree (last edited May 30, 2017 04:07PM) (new)

Shree | 120 comments In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2) by Tamora Pierce

Nature, plants and all that wonderful stuff? It is a fantasy book so...

Also could I have Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are? for Environment (and Nature).

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2967 comments For verification
Option 1 Plants, flower on the cover The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis

Option 2 Bees Honey Queen by Christina Mercer

message 18: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Siobhan wrote: "Would grass count sufficiently as a plant, or are you looking for something a little bigger? Either way is great, I just wanted to check! :)"

Grass works as a living plant.

message 19: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 30, 2017 06:24PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Pia wrote: "Will any of these covers work for Option 1?

Songs from the Violet Café by Fiona Kidman

The Breakdown by B.A. Paris

Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2) by Susie Steiner

[bookcover:Penhale Wood|32765..."

The first, third, and fourth books count.

There isn't enough of the plant in the second book for me to tell that it is growing in nature. I think it is, but I'm not sure.

message 20: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Trish wrote: "Are the trees around the doorway on this one okay for Option 1?
Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1) by Seanan McGuire"

This works.

message 21: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Does this work for Option 1- Plants

Summer Breeze by Nancy Thayer

Thank you

message 22: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Andy wrote: "Would either of these work for Option 1
Puzzled Indemnity (Puzzle Lady #16) by Parnell Hall Plane in pot on the right hand side"

Both books work.

message 23: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Siobhan wrote: "Actually, a second check through my TBR pile revealed that I actually had more potentially working books with trees than I thought. Would Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons work?"

Approved

message 24: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Bea wrote: "Would this tree work? Judgment Call (Joanna Brady #15) by J.A. Jance"

Approved

message 25: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Marie wrote: "Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman will this work for option 1"

Yes

message 26: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Melanie wrote: "A Fierce and Subtle Poison by Samantha Mabry will this work for opt. 1?"

Yes

message 27: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Book Concierge wrote: "This pot is broken ... will it still work for Opt 1?
The Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3) by M.C. Beaton"

Approved

message 28: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Shree wrote: "In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2) by Tamora Pierce

Nature, plants and all that wonderful stuff? It is a fantasy book so...

Also could I have [book:Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are?|302..."

Both are approved.

message 29: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "For verification
Option 1 Plants, flower on the cover The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis

Option 2 Bees Honey Queen by Christina Mercer"

Option 1: sorry, but the plant must appear in nature or be living in a pot-- the key is that the plant must be living.

Option 2: approved ( bee)

message 30: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments sorry- I think I got missed

opt 1

Thank you.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2967 comments How about this for option 1, tree on the cover Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) by Kristen Britain

message 32: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Would this work for option 1?
Before the Storm (Before the Storm, #1) by Diane Chamberlain

And can you genre verify this for option 3? I don't think the genre will fall off, but just in case.
Small Wonder by Barbara Kingsolver

message 33: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Kathy G. wrote: "sorry- I think I got missed

opt 1

Thank you."

Sorry if I overlooked you.

Approved.

message 34: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "How about this for option 1, tree on the cover Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) by Kristen Britain"

Approved

message 35: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Nicole wrote: "Would this work for option 1?

And can you genre verify this for option 3? I don't think the genre will fall off, but just in case.
Small Wonder by Barbara Kingsolver"

Book 1 is approved.

Book 2 looks like a cut flower, so it will not work.

message 36: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Nicole wrote: "Would this work for option 1?

Small Wonder by Barbara Kingsolver"

Both are approved

message 37: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "How about this for option 1, tree on the cover Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) by Kristen Britain"

Approved

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Is this OK for tree on the cover Kaleidoscope (Colorado Mountain, #6) by Kristen Ashley ?
Thanks

message 39: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "Trish wrote: "Are the trees around the doorway on this one okay for Option 1?
Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1) by Seanan McGuire"

This works."

Thanks.

message 40: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "sorry- I think I got missed

opt 1

Thank you."
Sorry if I overlooked you.

Approved."

Thank you! :-)

message 41: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Does Mind Games (Lock & Mori, #2) by Heather W. Petty work for a tree on cover

message 42: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Lauren wrote: "Is this OK for tree on the cover Kaleidoscope (Colorado Mountain, #6) by Kristen Ashley?
Thanks"

Approved

message 43: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Looking for approval for option 1 (I'm asking because although there are plenty of plants, the cover as a whole is a bit weird, with a sofa and a telephone booth, so making sure that the plants are still considered to be shown "in nature"). Thanks!

Nainen ja apina by Peter Høeg

message 44: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments JennRenee wrote: "Does Mind Games (Lock & Mori, #2) by Heather W. Petty work for a tree on cover"

Approved

message 45: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Camilla wrote: "Looking for approval for option 1 (I'm asking because although there are plenty of plants, the cover as a whole is a bit weird, with a sofa and a telephone booth, so making sure that the plants are..."

It works. The plants appear to be living or growing in a natural setting. BTY, this is a fabulous cover!

message 46: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Thanks Connie!

message 47: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3373 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "Andy wrote: "Would either of these work for Option 1
Puzzled Indemnity (Puzzle Lady #16) by Parnell Hall Plane in pot on the right hand side"

Both books work."

Thank you, now to find the time to read them.

message 48: by Susan (new)

Susan Wojtas | 245 comments Hi, will this work for Option 1?

Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin

Thank you

message 49: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Susan wrote: "Hi, will this work for Option 1?

Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin

Thank you"

Yes, it works.

message 50: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1382 comments The Bungalow by Sarah Jio has palm trees across the water though it is blurry so I thought I'd better check if that's ok?

« previous 1