2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2017 > Carolyn's 101

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn (last edited Aug 21, 2017 12:51PM) (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Just setting this up now, in late May, and have doubtless forgotten many books I've read since January, but starting as best I may.

I tend to read multiple books a week, so this should be manageable.

I do have a tendency to re-read / study certain books; that may slow my count.

message 2: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Is there a good way to merge this with the general site challenge?

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments Hi, Carolyn. Not sure I understand what you mean by merging this thread but wanted to try to help. Are you wondering if there is a way to automatically update this thread when you mark a book read for the 2017 Reading Challenge? If so, no; if you want to update this thread, you'll need to do it manually.

Hope that helps.

message 4: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Thanks! I'll have to set aside a day to update this count. :)

message 5: by Carolyn (last edited Jun 04, 2017 10:36PM) (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments I'm catching up here, because I joined this group so late. I've decided to "batch" the books already under my belt for the year, and then add new entries as they arise...more or less. :) No promises on timeliness, but I'll try.

Some of my reading list is an assortment of books that I reread on a regular basis. I only count them once per challenge, no matter how often I take them up again. These include:

Fulk Nerra, the Neo-Roman Consul 987-1040 A Political Biography of the Angevin Count by Bernard S. Bachrach Metamorphoses by Ovid The Histories by Herodotus The Complete Essays by Michel de Montaigne History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides The Aeneid by Virgil Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Emma by Jane Austen Persuasion by Jane Austen Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen The Norman Conquest by Marc Morris The Greatest Knight The Remarkable Life of William Marshal, The Power Behind Five English Thrones by Thomas Asbridge

Running Total: 13

message 6: by Carolyn (last edited Jun 04, 2017 10:46PM) (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments I do reread Georgette Heyer, not as frequently as some books, but lately I have enjoyed quite a few of them as bedtime (i.e. calm down from real life) selections. This year, so far, these include:
The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer The Toll-Gate by Georgette Heyer Sylvester by Georgette Heyer The Reluctant Widow by Georgette Heyer These Old Shades (Alastair, #1) by Georgette Heyer Frederica by Georgette Heyer Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer The Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer Cotillion  by Georgette Heyer The Foundling by Georgette Heyer Arabella by Georgette Heyer A Civil Contract by Georgette Heyer Venetia by Georgette Heyer The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer Bath Tangle by Georgette Heyer The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer

Running Total: 31

message 7: by Carolyn (last edited Jun 04, 2017 10:46PM) (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments I've been reading some genre fiction as part of a self-directed study, with varying levels of enjoyment. These works have included:

Cat Chaser by Elmore Leonard Odds On by John Lange Easy Go by John Lange On the Night of the Seventh Moon by Victoria Holt

I actually can't say I liked any of these very much. Onward.

Running Total: 35

message 8: by Carolyn (last edited Jun 04, 2017 10:46PM) (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Some other works I also reread occasionally, and have read this year are:
The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf The Once and Future King (The Once and Future King #1-4) by T.H. White The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde A Woman of No Importance by Oscar Wilde The Complete Works of Elizabeth Gaskell (20+ Books) by Elizabeth Gaskell The Collected Poems of Robert Louis Stevenson by Robert Louis Stevenson The Short Stories Of Kate Chopin by Kate Chopin The Complete Oscar Wilde Collection by Oscar Wilde Rogues by George R.R. Martin A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #1-3) by George R.R. Martin

Running Total: 47

message 9: by Carolyn (last edited Jun 04, 2017 10:47PM) (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Some of the new-to-me reading for this year includes:
The Last Werewolf (The Last Werewolf, #1) by Glen Duncan By Blood We Live (The Last Werewolf, #3) by Glen Duncan Talulla Rising (The Last Werewolf, #2) by Glen Duncan The Consolations of Philosophy by Alain de Botton The Egyptian Book of the Dead by Anonymous The Introvert Entrepreneur Amplify Your Strengths and Create Success on Your Own Terms by Beth Buelow Reality Is Broken Why Games Make Us Better and How They Can Change the World by Jane McGonigal SUPER BETTER by Jane McGonigal The Way Things Are The De Rerum Natura by Titus Lucretius Carus Principal Doctrines by Epicurus The Real Jane Austen A Life in Small Things by Paula Byrne Mrs. Zant and the Ghost by Wilkie Collins The Divine Magnet Herman Melville's Letters to Nathaniel Hawthorne by Herman Melville On Tyranny Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century by Timothy Snyder J M Barrie The Short Stories by J.M. Barrie How to make a silver ring with a stone by Rick Corless A Great and Terrible King Edward I and the Forging of Britain by Marc Morris The Story Grid What Good Editors Know by Shawn Coyne Pride and Prejudice Story Grid Edition by Jane Austen A Practical Handbook for the Actor by Melissa Bruder Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell

Running Total: 68

message 10: by Carolyn (last edited Jun 08, 2017 09:44PM) (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Dialogue The Art of Verbal Action for Page, Stage, and Screen by Robert McKee
Quiet The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

Running Total 70.

message 11: by Carolyn (last edited Jun 14, 2017 11:12PM) (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Miss Marple The Complete Short Stories by Agatha Christie

Years ago I did a survey of Christie stories to note the techniques used in each mystery. I have lost track of my notes, so here we go, again. :) On to the Marple novels...

Running Total 71

message 12: by Carolyn (last edited Jun 14, 2017 11:12PM) (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments The Rattle Bag by Seamus Heaney

A re-read, looking for some poems I wanted to remember.

Running Total: 72

message 13: by Carolyn (last edited Sep 01, 2017 11:32AM) (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Story Substance, Structure, Style, and the Principles of Screenwriting by Robert McKee The Moving Finger (Miss Marple, #4) by Agatha Christie The Doll The Lost Short Stories by Daphne du Maurier

Running total: 75

message 14: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier

Running Total 76

message 15: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Nothing Can Rescue Me (Henry Gamadge, #5) by Elizabeth Daly

Running Total: 77

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Goodluck on your goal, Carolyn :) Seems you're on a roll

message 17: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Unexpected Night (Henry Gamadge, #1) by Elizabeth Daly

Running Total 78

message 18: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Cherringham A Cosy Crime Series Compilation (Cherringham, #1-3) by Matthew Costello

Running Total 79

message 19: by Carolyn (last edited Jul 06, 2017 11:12PM) (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Slow Horses (Slough House, #1) by Mick Herron Dead Lions (Slough House, #2) by Mick Herron

Running Total 81

message 20: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments The Christmas Mystery A Detective Luc Moncrief Mystery (BookShots) by James Patterson

Running Total 82

message 21: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Cross Kill (Alex Cross #24.4) by James Patterson Chase (Michael Bennett, #9.5) by James Patterson

Running Total 84

message 22: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Plain Jane (A House for the Season, #2) by Marion Chesney Duke's Diamonds (Endearing Young Charms, #5) (Regency Royal, #11) by Marion Chesney The Aspern Papers by Henry James

Running Total 87

message 23: by Carolyn (last edited Jul 12, 2017 11:17PM) (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Silver Jewelry Making An Easy Complete Step by Step Guide by Janet Evans Short Stories by Louisa May Alcott

Running Total 89

message 24: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Real Tigers (Slough House, #3) by Mick Herron

Running total 90

message 25: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Spook Street (Slough House, #4) by Mick Herron

Running Total: 91

message 26: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments The Ultimate Game of Thrones and Philosophy You Think or Die by Eric J. Silverman

Running total 92.

message 27: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments The Secrets of Story Innovative Tools for Perfecting Your Fiction and Captivating Readers by Matt Bird

Running Total 93

message 28: by Carolyn (last edited Aug 20, 2017 04:10PM) (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments The Triple Package How Three Unlikely Traits Explain the Rise and Fall of Cultural Groups in America by Amy Chua

A Couple of annual rereads:
The Rhetoric of Fiction by Wayne C. Booth
A Rhetoric of Irony by Wayne C. Booth

Running total: 96

I have a couple of reading projects going (depth vs quantity), so I may suspend my challenge at 101 (in order to stay in this group) and then pick it up again in a month, or so. Five more books, till then. :)

message 29: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin

Running total 97

message 30: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments The Poetry of Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin by Alexander Pushkin Best Poems of the Brontë Sisters by Emily Brontë

Running total 99

message 31: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Classic Womens Short Stories D by Katherine Mansfield

Running total: 100

message 32: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 38 comments Foundation The History of England from Its Earliest Beginnings to the Tudors (The History of England, #1) by Peter Ackroyd

Running total: 101

Doing some depth projects, so not trying to keep same quantity goals.

Be back to update challenge and add more books, later, ;)