World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Writing because you love to or because you've got something to say?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13834 comments There are writers who hone writing their entire life, love to invent and share stories, while there are others for whom writing per se may be instrumental and they turn to it because they believe they have something to say and think they know how do it interestingly.
Where do you belong?

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Prescott (victoria_prescott) It's a combination of all things, isn't it? If you [general you] feel you have something to say, whether that's telling a story, or getting across information or a political message, you should want to make your writing as good as it can be, to get your message across as effectively as possible, and make people want to read what you have to say.

I've read (or struggled to read) enough academic/non-fiction books which would have benefited from the author working on honing his/her writing skills.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13834 comments Victoria wrote: "It's a combination of all things, isn't it? If you [general you] feel you have something to say, whether that's telling a story, or getting across information or a political message, you should wan..."

Yep, should be a combo, of course

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9811 comments I write because I feel I have something to say, but having said that, I try to make it as well-written as I can. However, I have to confess I do not have any desire to write just "fine writing", maybe because I am not very good at it, but I feel if you haven't got something to say, such as a message, or a story, or something to entertain, then you would not inflict your writing on everyone else.

However, I also have an opinion that differs from Victoria's on academic writing. I feel that such books tend to be written for a purpose, and they have a very specific target audience in mind. In that sense, they tend to assume the reader knows a certain set of background facts. If the reader does not, what follows could be incomprehensible. Anyone who reads my book "Guidance Waves" and has no idea of what quantum mechanics is about is most likely to get lost fairly early on. The point is, if the author goes back to scratch and explains everything, the book becomes monstrous and the desired readers will ignore it. Of course there will also be academic books that are so badly written they are incomprehensible even to those with more knowledge.