What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/juvenile about unsolved mysteries, boys discover a garage/shed, or secret area, somewhere on one of the boy's family's property; in this "garage" time goes by differently from the outside

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brady (new)

Brady McClaflin | 5 comments Hey all!

So I read a book about 10 years ago and have tried periodically to try and find the name of the book but always come up empty handed! Hope somebody can help me. Here are the details from what I remember:

* its about a group of boys, I want to say three, that are in late middle school to early high school
* they discover a garage/shed, or secret area, somewhere on one of the boy's family's property
* they go inside and discover old mysterious things inside, I believe they are old papers that go back to old unsolved mysteries
* when they are in this "garage" time goes by differently from the outside.
* I remember one time when they were in the "garage" the boys claimed they were in there for a few hours, and they came back out to the mother said they were gone for only 10 minutes
* I want to say the end is a famous murder solved through the evidence that was found in the garage

Kind of vague on the details, but that is what I can remember. I know it's a long shot, but I'm hoping somebody can put this mystery book to rest for me. Its been bugging me for a decade! Please and thank you for you time.

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4122 comments Singularity maybe? Reading the reviews it seems they discover monster rather than old papers though.

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2041 comments Yeah, this sounds a lot like "Singularity" (with some other elements mixed in). Singularity is about twin teenagers mostly, though this is another teen (a neighbor) who is also involved.

message 4: by Brady (new)

Brady McClaflin | 5 comments Thanks for the responses! Unfortunately, after reading the summary of "Singularity" I do not feel it is the same book I am looking for. The beginning sounded eerie alike, but once the summary opened up the plot, it starts to differ.
The book I am thinking of has more of a time travel aspect to the plot, instead of a black hole. The book brings them back to another time period where they can explore another time. When they are in the time travel garage, they feel they spend hours exploring, when back in their real time only minutes have passed.

message 5: by Kris (last edited May 27, 2017 04:12PM) (new)

Kris | 32355 comments Mod
Brady, do they leave the "garage" and explore Earth during a different time period -- or do they simply stay in the "garage" and time moves forward at a different rate? How far back or forward in time do they travel?

Could it have been a different type of man-made enclosure - e.g., attic, basement, secret room in the house? Did it seem at ground level, underground, or above ground?

message 6: by Brady (new)

Brady McClaflin | 5 comments It may not be a garage, it could very well be one of the other examples that you stated Kris. Garage just sounded most familiar with me.

I want to say that when they did go to a different time, it was more of a flashback. They went back to a different time and could witness the event that took place at that time and location, but their interactions would not effect what has already happened.

I believe they were sent back to one specific time, but if I said what I recalled the event being, it may be a spoiler for the book. And the items in the man - made enclosure have to do with the time period they are sent back to witness.

I am not sure if I state the event they go back to is a spoiler or not, because I do not remember how the book ends.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32355 comments Mod
Spoilers are fine in a post (but not the header). Just give us a clear warning before revealing a spoiler. Using the Goodreads spoiler link is ideal but not necessary.

< spoiler>Type your spoiler comments here< /spoiler>
...but don't type the spaces beside the brackets

For example: (view spoiler)

message 8: by Brady (new)

Brady McClaflin | 5 comments I never knew this little tid bit! Thanks, I'll explain more details using that trick...

(view spoiler)

Again this is all from memory from about 10 years ago, so some of the details may be fuzzy. But questions have been helping me remember a little. Thanks again for helping me!!

message 9: by Brady (new)

Brady McClaflin | 5 comments I must have reached a dead end. I probably got some of the details wrong. But wanted to thank everyone for trying to help me end this 10 year mystery!

message 10: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4122 comments Some threads take years to be solved, like 6 or 7: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

You should bump it every 30+ days (by posting a comment) -- or sooner if you remember more information. (I wasn't aware of this when I joined to post about books I had forgotten :) I had this vision of the group like omniscient thing that would immediately spit out the answers for me...).

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37621 comments Mod
Brady wrote: "I must have reached a dead end. I probably got some of the details wrong. But wanted to thank everyone for trying to help me end this 10 year mystery!"

Brady, you only started this thread 5 days ago. You are hardly at a dead end.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37621 comments Mod
Brady, are you still looking for this or did you find it?