The Sword and Laser discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book For June

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Devin_e (new)

Devin_e | 7 comments What is the upcoming book to read for June? I'm terribly sorry, I'm sure this is a really stupid question, but I wasn't able to find this anywhere.

Thank you so much,
D

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1140 comments Not a stupid question at all. It's not posted yet. Sometimes the Patreons get to hear a couple days before the rest of us but this is getting late even if that's the case.

message 3: by Devin_e (new)

Devin_e | 7 comments Phil wrote: "Not a stupid question at all. It's not posted yet. Sometimes the Patreons get to hear a couple days before the rest of us but this is getting late even if that's the case."

Thanks for understanding. Where in the forums will the pick for June be announced?

message 4: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6785 comments Mod
When I (or occasionally other members) find out the book pick, I add it to the group shelf (if it's not already been added by Tom & Veronica) and I create a new stickied thread in the section for that book.

June's pick hasn't been announced yet. Once it is, a thread will be added.

message 5: by J (new)

J Austill | 72 comments Time for a bit of broad speculation?

Should be a fantasy....

message 6: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3542 comments Mod
It will probably be announced in the live podcast they are doing at BayCon on Sunday.

I'm sure someone will post it by Monday (US time)

There has been a call for a book to be done in honour of Joanna.

Which will be done. Whether it's an official pick or a member led additional book pick for June.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1140 comments Yes, I was going to set up a poll or something for an alt-pick for Joanna if the main pick wasn't appropriate. Does anyone have any suggestions? Here are the ones I was thinking of including; they're all books Joanna gave 5 stars to and all authors we haven't read: Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, Kushiel's Dart, A Spell for Chameleon, Storm Front, and Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.

message 8: by AndrewP (last edited May 27, 2017 10:16AM) (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments I believe 'Kushiel's Dart' was read as a Vaginal Fantasy pic so I doubt that Veronica would choose that one. Of the other 4 I have read 2 of them leaving 'Wicked' and 'Callahan's Crosstime Saloon' as my preferred picks.

message 9: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Spell for Chameleon is serious flame war material, so probably not a good way of honoring Joanna.

message 10: by terpkristin (last edited May 27, 2017 10:41AM) (new)

terpkristin | 4144 comments She has two that she was reading when she passed, one which a good number of S&L members seem to have on their virtual "to read" shelves and the other by Jo Walton. She has another, but it's in a series. I was thinking maybe one of those.
My Real Children
The Hum and the Shiver

message 11: by J (last edited May 27, 2017 11:12AM) (new)

J Austill | 72 comments I really like thus idea of a book for Joanna. Most of the titles being thrown around are ones I've read, which would be okay. I could still join in the discussion.

If one I've read is chosen, I think ill pick another of Joanna's 5 star books to read anyway. Just seems like a great way to remember her.

message 12: by Devin_e (new)

Devin_e | 7 comments Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. I'm also happy this has sparked some conversation!

Is an alt book chosen casually among the community or is it listed along with the primary pick?

Also, all of the suggestions so far sound good to me! I haven't read any of them yet.

message 13: by Rob, Roberator (last edited May 27, 2017 01:31PM) (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6785 comments Mod
terpkristin wrote: "She has two that she was reading when she passed, one which a good number of S&L members seem to have on their virtual "to read" shelves and the other by Jo Walton. She has another, but it's in a s..."

Tom & Veronica were thinking along the same lines. The Hum and the Shiver will be the June pick.

I debated repurposing this thread into the June accounement thread, but decided to create a new one because I like to have the book information in the first post.

Discuss this pick here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I'm going to lock this thread simply so we don't have dueling threads for June.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.