Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > How do you feel about love triangles in books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 144 (144 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Carissa (new)

Carissa (coolkidsread) | 46 comments I absolutely hate love triangles. I always end up favoring one guy way more than the other in which scenes with the "other" love interest just annoy the crap out of me. I just can't deal with them haha. How do you feel about them??

message 2: by Althea ☾ (new)

Althea ☾ (themoonwholistens) | 0 comments It depends on the characters themselves most of the time :/

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

~ Althea ~ wrote: "It depends on the characters themselves most of the time :/"

Agreed

message 4: by Janelle (new)

Janelle Chen | 8 comments I usually care more about the main character so as long as they end up happy I don't care what happens

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Jaye (valeriejaye) | 170 comments I despise love triangles. They annoy me because they always seem unrealistic. I always find it hard to believe that a girl can love two guys the same amount at the same time.
When I look for new YA books, I always check the reviews to see if there are any, because I can't stand them. If I see there's a love triangle I toss the book aside, no matter if the premise sounds interesting.

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica | 28 comments I also typically end up favoring one love interest over the other - and it always seems to be that the one I like has absolutely ZERO chance of getting the girl.

Most love triangles just seem like unnecessary background drama, and those I find annoying. Occasionally it does have something to do with the main plot, and then I don't mind the love triangle.

My favorite one is probably Tessa/Will/Jem from the Infernal Devices trilogy.

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Grace | 21 comments Tolerable, if done well. Exceedingly frustrating if not.

message 8: by Tasya (new)

Tasya Dita (giselatasya) | 37 comments My favorite is also Tessa/Will/Jem because they aren't very focused on the romance :D

In general, I hate them, but it's mostly because the girl being wishy washy and moping around thinking about boys rather than get shit done, and the boys themselves won't stop bugging/seduce/pressure/brooding over her.

message 9: by annesofie (new)

annesofie (ananasofie) | 204 comments They're so annoying honestly ??? It never happens in real life lmaoo

The Sky is Everywhere's love triangle is actually pulled off very well tho

message 10: by Mieke (new)

Mieke (miekebxx) | 29 comments Depends. Because usually I like the guy she will not end up with better and then the author will make him do something terrible so you HAVE TO go for the main guy. It is only fun to read when it's done well. I love it in TV-shows though!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

It depends, if its there but does not take over the plot its fine but if its 90 % of the book its idiotic.

message 12: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Since I'm not a big fan of romance in books at all (there are rarely exceptions) - friendships are way more intriguing for me - love triangles annoy me to no end. I can tolerate romance, but I honestly hate triangles.

message 13: by Deejay (DZ) (new)

Deejay (DZ) (deejayreads) | 17 comments I absolutely ADORE love triangles ! its the best part in a book for me , I think it makes it more ... interesting perhaps ? idk , I just love it ^^

message 14: by Halima (new)

Halima (hallythemartian) | 20 comments I seriously can't stand love triangles, they make me sick! It's not even about favoring one guy over the other, it's about the situation and the unnecessary drama that sometimes take upon the plot and I hate it.

message 15: by Swati (new)

Swati | 18 comments I really hate love triangles... they're so overdone!
They're also really difficult to get right... Of all the love triangles I've come across the only one I like is Will/Tessa/Jem TID :)

message 16: by Ane (new)

Ane Lotherington | 12 comments They really annoy me because they're so overused. I think it would be interesting if an author started something off as a triangle, but it ended in polyamory though, that would be a fresh take on it

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 102 comments Oh look I have an unpopular opinion again!

I don't care about love triangles. I don't hate them, I don't love them, they're in a book and I just read on.

But maybe I don't care about them that much since I was in one myself?

message 18: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Aristodemou (andreasaristodemou) | 92 comments It's in every single book. And sometimes I hate it because it just doesn't fit.

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather (hersecretsmile) | 56 comments Mostly I don't enjoy them, but I wouldn't say I despise them. My biggest problem is I tend to favor one love interest as well, so when things ultimately don't go my way (as they do at least half the time) it really irritates me. I have been known to drop a series (or tv show) if a character is ruined/does something distasteful to make the other love interest look good.

However, sometimes love triangles are done really well, like in Girl of Fire and Thorns, and they don't bug me at all.

message 20: by Tecla (new)

Tecla I hate them so much.

message 21: by Pottermnm (new)

Pottermnm Montse | 45 comments Loath and despise them ...sure some of my favorite books have love triangles, but I like the most the ones that that dont have one.

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood (cassiecrow) | 160 comments ~ Althea ~ wrote: "It depends on the characters themselves most of the time :/"

Agreed

message 23: by Jackie (new)

Jackie  (irrelavantreader) | 11 comments Miss me with that mess.....but in all seriousness it depends on how it is handled by the characters themselves. But, I'd rather not

message 24: by Lilia (new)

Lilia | 67 comments @Lydia I feel like that's been happening though. I don't think there are as many love triangles in books nowadays

message 25: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 58 comments I don't particularly like them - most make the main character seem fickle for not being able to decide, and those where one person's love is unrequited just make me feel sorry for said character.

message 26: by chits (new)

chits (chitxwrites) I don't particularly like it cos I ship like two people and I hate it when the one is with the third sidekick character..but so far i don't mind

message 27: by Julia (new)

Julia Oelbaum | 35 comments Not my favourite but it doesn't bother me that much

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 9 comments Unless it is an extremely well written and interesting love triangle, I don't care for them. Usually they are pretty cliche and easily predictable.

One love triangle I did appreciate was the love triangle for Lia in the Revenant Chronicles.

message 29: by Ailbhe (new)

Ailbhe | 8 comments Yeah I am not a fan, by considering I don't read YA so much I don't come across them often. Although if I came across one that was 100% gay I would be fascinated.

message 30: by maria (new)

maria (maria-blackthorn) overall I really don't mind them at all. However, sometimes they just seem so forced or sometimes an author just overuses love triangles in their books

message 31: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (alexabc) | 0 comments I don't mind them so long as they don't end up taking over the book. If I'm promised a fantasy and more than 20% of the book is dedicated to a stupid love triangle, I will be very frustrated.

message 32: by sara (new)

sara (wizardsbook) | 19 comments like any other trope if they're done good i love them

message 33: by Sadie (new)

Sadie (SadieMonkey0) | 5 comments Usually HATE them, but it usually depends on the characters and book

message 34: by ~Bellegirl91~ (new)

~Bellegirl91~ (bellegirl91) | 78 comments Honestly in love them. Cause if one doesn't work out m, you can root for the next one in case someone else shows up and you don't like them haha. Plus it keeps me fangirling and if I'm NOT fangirling in a YA book trilogy or full series, then I'm not enjoying it enough. I NEEEED to be fangirling and so love triangles keeps me engaged. But there has been times when I just think, "okay, this person HAS to pick this cause it's a no brainer and the other person sucks and is a TOTALLY idiot so just get rid of them"

message 35: by Rori (new)

Rori (rori_mischke) | 1 comments Depends. Love triangles make us feel more involved in the story seeing as how we can root for one or the other love interests. Yet, when there are several (talking more than 2) love interests after the same girl/guy it becomes tiring and complex and annoyong in my opinion.

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Rosewalk (jessicarosewalk) I always end up shipping the person with both people... Personally, I don't mind them, I just hate when it's dragged out.

message 37: by Suzi Evelyn (last edited Jun 03, 2017 02:30PM) (new)

Suzi Evelyn (suzievelyn) | 73 comments It depends. I mean, I've dnf-ed books because of love triangles before. If the character I'm rooting for doesn't get chosen, I usually end up hating the main character and the person who got chosen because I'm usually really passionate about that character. Also, if the love triangle is taking up too much of the story, and the story isn't solely a romance, I might quit reading the book. It's usually the first reason, though. I'm thinking really hard about an instance in which there was a love triangle, and I didn't walk away from the book hating the MC. I can't think of any. Yes, I can. The Hunger Games.

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (genoveffa) Most of the time I don't like them, but every now and again an author gets it right either by not making the triangle the key to the story/romance or by creating two competitors who "work." For example, Jem and Will (although the ending was a cop out IMO), Rhys and Tamlin .... I also typically dislike stories where randoms events are thrown in to complicate the love near the end unless it's a Regency romance where that's a given.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I dont know I just ship the 'competitors' so I wouldnt feel bad for anyone.

message 40: by L.C. (new)

L.C. Perry | 120 comments I used to think I was a fan but not really. Just like many of you have already said, they have to be done really well. I feel like it's always the same kind of love triangle too, like two guys loving the heroine and she has to pick. Love triangles can also be where one guy loves the heroine but the heroine has no interest in him and loves another guy who has no interest in her - and when I do see those, she ends up changing her feelings or the guy she likes changes his feelings. I think it would be really interesting and also realistic if she ends up with neither one of them because none of their feelings change. Just an idea ;)
Also, I wouldn't mind seeing more varying genders too, like two girls and one guy, a girl choosing between a girl or a guy, etc. etc.

message 41: by *TANYA* (new)

*TANYA* | 8 comments I didn't mind them back in the day. As I have gotten older I love absolute loyalty and conviction. Besides I end up feeling bad of the 3rd person doesn't get their HEA and is left pining for their unrequited love. Haha

message 42: by Superbambi (new)

Superbambi | 285 comments L.C. wrote: "I used to think I was a fan but not really. Just like many of you have already said, they have to be done really well. I feel like it's always the same kind of love triangle too, like two guys lovi..."

Yes! I feel like a non heteronormative love triangle would reach out to me more. I don't read that much YA anymore, and the books I've been reading don't rely on those tropes so much, but damn it if you want to catch my interest, give me something that reaches out of the norm.

message 43: by Asounani (new)

Asounani | 22 comments Well you never find on of this in my list of favorites and I do not serch to read more than a few in a year ( 2 or 3 max), but in many cases are very exaggerated for example 3 men and 1 woman seriously! and she is able to pay attention to 3 dominant men, the same for 2 mens and 1 woman.

For my are like "I need to read something different" and "familiar or known" and like almost all of you said, this books are really similar.

message 44: by Yasmeen (new)

Yasmeen | 6 comments I HATE love triangles so much.

message 45: by Naaytaashreads (new)

Naaytaashreads | 12 comments The only love triangle im not angry about is The Infernal Devices : WILL, JEM AND TESSA. SIGH MY BABIES.

message 46: by Rima (new)

Rima Ben Hammadi | 159 comments I love it as long as I don't know who are going to end up together. I hate it when it's obvious. For exemple when two people are together and they break up one of them starts dating a new someone and they they get back together with the previous person. I want it to be original not as dumb and predictable as most of the live triangles..

message 47: by Mashal (new)

Mashal Ahmad | 11 comments I don't know if I hate them. But the most annoying part is that I always fall for second lead, who at the end just get friend-zoned , which left me pretty pissed off haha.

message 48: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Theos | 3 comments 90% of the time I love them. I know they're pretty much universally hated, but absolutely love when there is 2 characters vying for the love of one. I'm a hopeless romantic and I love reading romance books, or books that have romance. I really enjoy the emotions and 'feels' they give me, even though most of the time i'm screaming at the main character to pick the right guy.

With that being said, most love triangles suck. In most love triangles there is usually a CLEAR favourite and the readers can usually tell who the main will end up with. The only book I can remember that had the best and most compelling love triangle is The Infernal Devices. (Love the book, don't like the ending. At all.)

message 49: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (RavenandtheHawk) | 61 comments Interesting but a little annoying.

message 50: by Artsy (new)

Artsy  | 9 comments It depends on how its written, as well as the rest of the story. There are some books, movies, and television shows that would be better without them. Sometimes, they just seem like theyre added for no apparent reason(to action, mystery, and adventure stories), maybe to get the female audiences attention?(which as a female, is stupid). Not a book, obviously, but the show LOST would have been better without the stupid love triangle in my opinion.

« previous 1 3