2017 Big Book Summer Challenge discussion

What Big Books Are You Reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Jackson (suejackson) | 85 comments Mod
Use this discussion thread to post and talk about the Big Books you are currently reading! I'm going to start my first one Memorial Day weekend...which one to choose first...?

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) My hope is to read Dr.Zhivago by Boris Pasternak . The latest translation of approx 700 pages.

I specifically bought the book last year to tackle my usual "summer of my Russian novel", which I failed so miserably last year with War and Peace.

And, I hope to get at the Mt.TBR .

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat | 1 comments Read A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson this weekend. Loved it. On to the next...undecided on which one.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate | 13 comments Currently reading Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan which is 527 pages and has been on my TBR for a year.

message 5: by Suzan (new)

Andrea wrote: "My hope is to read Dr.Zhivago by Boris Pasternak . The latest translation of approx 700 pages.

I specifically bought the book last year to tackle my usual "summer of my Russian novel", which I fa..."

Wow, that's great, Andrea! I;m very impressed :) I haven't read any of the great Russian novels but would like to - good for you!

Be sure to leave a quick comment in the Sign-Up discussion thread so I know you've officially signed up - that's where I will look at the end of the summer for the Big Book Summer Giveaway for all who participated!

message 6: by Suzan (new)

Kate wrote: "Currently reading Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan which is 527 pages and has been on my TBR for a year."

Oh, I've heard good things about that one, Kate!

Be sure to leave a quick comment in the Sign-Up discussion thread so I know you've officially signed up - that's where I will look at the end of the summer for the Big Book Summer Giveaway for all who participated!

message 7: by Suzan (new)

OK, so I settled on The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater for my first Big Book of the Summer! It's a YA novel by a favorite author that's been languishing on my shelf for years. I started it yesterday and am enjoying it so far!

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate | 13 comments Sue wrote: "Kate wrote: "Currently reading Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan which is 527 pages and has been on my TBR for a year."

Be sure to leave a quick com..."

Thanks for the reminder! Just did it!!

message 9: by Suzan (new)

Kate wrote: "Sue wrote: "Kate wrote: "Currently reading Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan which is 527 pages and has been on my TBR for a year."

Be sure to leave..."

Got it - thanks, Kate!

message 10: by Darlene (new)

Darlene | 1 comments Here's the biggest book that I'm tackling:

It by Stephen King by Stephen King

That's 1,116 pages!!

There will probably be others over 400+ pages, so I'll add them to the list as I go along.

message 11: by Suzan (new)

Kat wrote: "Read A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson this weekend. Loved it. On to the next...undecided on which one."

Oh, I loved that book, too. Did you read Life After Life, too?

message 12: by Suzan (new)

Darlene wrote: "Here's the biggest book that I'm tackling:

It by Stephen King by Stephen King

That's 1,116 pages!!

There will probably be others over 400+ pages, so I'll add them to the list a..."

That one definitely qualifies as a Big Book! But Stephen King's big books (of which he has many!) are always pretty fast reads - no one writes a compelling story like him. Hope you enjoy it!

message 13: by Jane (new)

Jane Greensmith (janegs) | 3 comments Not quite sure what I'm going to be reading for this challenge, except that I want to do a reread of Diana Gabaldon's Voyager, third book in the Outlander series...and it'll qualify for sure!

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate | 13 comments All right, so I already DNFd my first big book, Crazy Rich Asians. The first 100 or so pages were okay, but the lengthy descriptions did me in as well as the changing point of view. A fun story, but not the right book for me. Up next: A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles for my book group.

message 15: by writer... (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 5 comments Sue wrote: "OK, so I settled on The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater for my first Big Book of the Summer! It's a YA novel by a favorite author that's been languishing on my shelf for years. I started it yest..."

have a couple on my tbr shelves as well - not sure when I'll get to them ! glad you're tackling yours !

message 16: by writer... (last edited Jun 02, 2017 07:15PM) (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 5 comments Reallly liking my current BIG book Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson - Helen Simonson fantastic debut . Read her The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson for last year's BIG Book Summer and loved it, so when I found this one at last weekend's community book sale, I helped it jump right into my bag ;)

message 17: by Suzan (new)

Jane wrote: "Not quite sure what I'm going to be reading for this challenge, except that I want to do a reread of Diana Gabaldon's Voyager, third book in the Outlander series...and it'll qualify for sure!"

Definitely! Any Outlander book automatically qualifies :) I started this challenge years ago with Outlander, but I still need to tackle the others in the series.

message 18: by Suzan (new)

Kate wrote: "All right, so I already DNFd my first big book, Crazy Rich Asians. The first 100 or so pages were okay, but the lengthy descriptions did me in as well as the changing point of view. A fun story, bu..."

Sorry that one didn't work out for you. I know it got good reviews but it didn't really sound up my alley, either. I have heard great things about A Gentleman in Moscow, so I hope you enjoy it!

message 19: by Suzan (new)

writer... wrote: "Reallly liking my current BIG book Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson - Helen Simonson fantastic debut . Read her The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson for l..."

Wonderful! I haven;t read any of her novels yet. Enjoy!

message 20: by Suzan (new)

Ugh...I had to set my first Big Book aside temporarily. I suddenly realized my next review book is due next week, so I better read it! I thought I had an extra week, but we are thinking of going away, so I had to do a quick reshuffle.

I don't like setting books aside in the middle, but I will get back to Scorpio Races soon!

message 21: by Kerry (new)

Kerry | 1 comments half way through David Copperfield (some listening, some reading) and am running out of gas. Hope this group will motivate me to continue on.

message 22: by Suzan (new)

Kerry wrote: "half way through David Copperfield (some listening, some reading) and am running out of gas. Hope this group will motivate me to continue on."

Oh, I've really been wanting to read David Copperfield! We read a lot of Dickens in high school but not that one. An old friend from HS said it's her favorite. If I recall Dickens correctly, his novels all start slow. Generally, once you get to about one-third or so, they start to pick up and the pacing is more compelling. Hope it works for you!

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 7 comments I started The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah again. Hoping I can get through this one this time. I know it will be worth the read. I'm a big fan of hers! I'm late but finally officially signed up. Thanks for hosting!

message 24: by Claire (new)

Claire | 3 comments I've started 2 already, Anna Karenina which i am listening to on audio, and Warleggan in physical book form....not sure about the first one yet, it is nicely narrated by Maggie gyllenhaal but there are so many long names and they don't always call the same person by the same name so it does get a bit hard to concentrate on. ..i'm persisting though.
So far i am really enjoying Warleggan, it's the 4th book in Winston Graham's Poldark series and they are lovely to read.

message 25: by Claire (new)

Claire | 3 comments Kerry wrote: "half way through David Copperfield (some listening, some reading) and am running out of gas. Hope this group will motivate me to continue on."

Oh do keep going, i've only read a couple of Dickens books but i think that one might be interesting, so i look forward to hearing your thoughts at the end.

message 26: by Suzan (new)

Jane wrote: "Not quite sure what I'm going to be reading for this challenge, except that I want to do a reread of Diana Gabaldon's Voyager, third book in the Outlander series...and it'll qualify for sure!"

Oh, yeah! All of Gabaldon's books count fur sure!! I've only read Outlander so far (one of my first Big Books that inspired this challenge!). Enjoy!

message 27: by Suzan (new)

Tanya (mom's small victories) wrote: "I started The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah again. Hoping I can get through this one this time. I know it will be worth the read. I'm a big fan of hers! I'm late but finally officially signed up. T..."

G;ad you joined again, Tanya! Enjoy The Nightingale - it's an excellent novel!

message 28: by Suzan (new)

Claire wrote: "I've started 2 already, Anna Karenina which i am listening to on audio, and Warleggan in physical book form....not sure about the first one yet, it is nicely narrated by Maggie gyllenhaal but there..."

Oooh! I didn;t realize Maggie Gyllenhaal was the narrator! That's enticing - I like her. Hope it picks up for you - it's a challenging book for sure.

message 29: by Suzan (new)

Claire wrote: "Kerry wrote: "half way through David Copperfield (some listening, some reading) and am running out of gas. Hope this group will motivate me to continue on."

Oh do keep going, i've only read a coup..."

Me, too! An old friend says that is her favorite Dickens book - I definitely want to read it one of these days. I am WAY behind on my Classics challenge for 2017!

message 30: by Poem Fanatic (new)

Poem Fanatic | 2 comments All the Big Books I'm reading this year are quite tiny... 407 pages and so on...I'm trying to tackle a 500+ book but I'm not sure which one to read yet.

I just finished reading The Raven Boys and Unbecoming which both count for my challenge. That's three books so far....I still have a long time to find a really big book though!

message 31: by Suzan (new)

Poem Fanatic wrote: "All the Big Books I'm reading this year are quite tiny... 407 pages and so on...I'm trying to tackle a 500+ book but I'm not sure which one to read yet.

I just finished reading The Raven Boys and ..."

OH! I loved both The Raven Boys and Unbecoming - two very different novels but both so compelling. Some years my Big Books are on the smallish side, too - that's OK, though it is fun to tackle a bigger one once in a while. My son regularly reads books with 1000+ pages! Enjoy your Big Books!

message 32: by Suzan (new)

I finished my first 2 Big Books for the summer: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater (wasn't sure I liked it at first but it grew on me) and Shift by Hugh Howey, which is book 2 in the Wool series. If you haven't read this series yet, you must give it a try - SO GOOD! Book 2 was just as riveting as book 1...so much so that I think I will make a change to my Big Book plans and sub in book 3 of the Wool series for one of my earlier picks - now I want to read the end of the series while books 1 & 2 are still fresh in my mind.

message 33: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Finished "Perfume", Headed for Dr.Zhivago next

message 34: by Suzan (new)

Andrea wrote: "Finished "Perfume", Headed for Dr.Zhivago next"

Good for you! I would love to read Dr. Zhivago one day!

message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate | 13 comments I started my first Big Book, The Sport of Kings by C E Morgan!

message 36: by Suzan (new)

Kate wrote: "I started my first Big Book, The Sport of Kings by C E Morgan!"

Wonderful, Kate! Hope you enjoy it!

message 37: by Kate (new)

Kate | 13 comments Arghhh! The old book club switcheroo ahs gotten to me. While I will continue The Sport of Kings by C.E. Morgan The Sport of Kings, I need to start and finish A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles soon as someone else needs my copy. After working July 4th, I do have10 days off, so I hope to finish one, if not both. I am hoping these two long books will take me back to my middle school years, where I just spent the summer reading.....

message 38: by Suzan (new)

Kate wrote: "Arghhh! The old book club switcheroo ahs gotten to me. While I will continue The Sport of Kings by C.E. Morgan The Sport of Kings, I need to start and finish [bookcover:A Gentleman in Moscow|..."

At least it is also a Big Book, Kate! BTW, that happens to me all the time - book group and review obligations get in the way! But I read SO many great books through my book groups that it's OK :)

I've heard wonderful things about A Gentleman in Moscow - hope you enjoy it!

message 39: by Cheriee (new)

Cheriee Weichel | 9 comments I finished The Color of our Sky by Amita Trasi at 416 pages
I'm reading At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson (497pages)
So far I've learned a lot from Bryson, but what has creeped me out most has been learning all about the germs and other critters living in our houses. In case you are interested, men should always sit down on the toilet and the lid should always be shut when flushing.

message 40: by Suzan (new)

Cheriee wrote: "I finished The Color of our Sky by Amita Trasi at 416 pages
I'm reading At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson (497pages)
So far I've learned a lot from Bryson, but what has creepe..."

ha ha - yes, Bryson can be very informative (and also funny)...and I have heard that before about always shutting the lid when flushing! My favorite Bryson is his memoir of growing up in the 1950's: The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.

Enjoy your Big Books!

message 41: by Pam (new)

Pam | 3 comments Hi Sue! Thanks for suggesting I join this challenge. The big book I'm reading is Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (Book 1 of the Century Trilogy). I've had it on my Kindle for ages, but didn't start it because I knew it would be loooong. What prompted me to begin was finding the third book in the series at a deep discount store the other day ($3.99 for a $25 book - couldn't pass up that bargain!) Now I'll have to find Book 2 at some point. I have enjoyed everything I have ever read by Follett, especially Pillars of the Earth - one of my favorite books ever. I'm hoping to get this long book read by Labor Day. Might be difficult since I have limited reading time, especially in the summer, but I'm going to give it my all! Crazy that the Kindle says there's approximately 28 hours left to complete the book! I'm on the second chapter, but as always, Follett has drawn me in already.

message 42: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) You know the finale of the trio of "Pillars" is coming out this fall. So exciting! I read the first of the "Century" trilogy and thought it was wonderful....however.... IMHO the second one dragged so slowly I did not finish it

message 43: by Suzan (new)

Pam wrote: "Hi Sue! Thanks for suggesting I join this challenge. The big book I'm reading is Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (Book 1 of the Century Trilogy). I've had it on my Kindle for ages, but didn't start i..."

Welcome to the Big Book Summer Challenge, Pam! So glad you decided to join :)

(for others here, Pam is my first cousin & we share a love of reading!)

I also loved Pillars of the Earth and am a Follett fan from way back - loved his thrillers in the 80's, too. I haven't read any of the Century Trilogy yet, but I've heard good things about it. Looking forward to hearing what you think!

Sue

message 44: by Suzan (new)

I just started my 3rd Big Book of the summer, after a break to fit in some book groups books & review books. I am reading Jane Eyre, which I last read in my early 20's and remember loving (though I don't remember too many details). I re-read Wuthering Heights last summer, so this seemed like a good choice - also, it works for my 2017 Classics Challenge (which I'm not doing well on!) as well as the Big Book Summer Challenge - a two-for-one!

message 45: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Sue wrote: "I just started my 3rd Big Book of the summer, after a break to fit in some book groups books & review books. I am reading Jane Eyre, which I last read in my early 20's and remember loving (though I..."

Jane Eyre is wonderful. Litzy Ford did a trio of reworking a while back and I think there is a new "take off" on it recently...can you tell I'm a Charlotte and not an Emily...😊

message 46: by Kate (new)

Kate | 13 comments Jane Eyre was THE book on my nightstand and had made me feel guilty, so thanks to a push from Sue, it is my second Big Book of the summer. I have 2 more planned, but I am not the best at sticking to a plan for reading. I am easily influenced by podcast hosts and will pick up a book after having someone "pitch" it to me.

message 47: by Suzan (new)

Andrea wrote: "Sue wrote: "I just started my 3rd Big Book of the summer, after a break to fit in some book groups books & review books. I am reading Jane Eyre, which I last read in my early 20's and remember lovi..."

Oh, that sounds interesting! I did find Wuthering Heights a bit on the dark side for my taste. I remember loving Jane Eyre - enjoying the re-read so far!

message 48: by Suzan (new)

Kate wrote: "Jane Eyre was THE book on my nightstand and had made me feel guilty, so thanks to a push from Sue, it is my second Big Book of the summer. I have 2 more planned, but I am not the best at sticking t..."

Yay! So glad I inspired you, Kate! Now, we can do a mini read-along together :) though I am sure I will take longer than you to read it. Things are so busy here! Doesn't my family understand I have Big Books to read??

I think it's great that you take recommendations from podcasts! I write them down, add them to my list, and sometimes get them as gifts...but then they sit on my shelf waiting because I feel guilty about all the older TBRs there!

Have you been listening to The Book Cougars by our Booktopia buddies? I'm loving it!

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 7 comments I finished two big,books so far, the Nightingale by Kristin Hannah and the Book of Summer by Michelle Gable. the next one is Whispering in French is for a book tour and less than 400,pages so it won't count but I did recently buy Count of Monte Cristo, Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights to re-read. a friend also let me borrow The Chemist, so I have lots of good big books to choose from next...but I can't decide...help!

message 50: by Suzan (new)

Tanya (mom's small victories) wrote: "I finished two big,books so far, the Nightingale by Kristin Hannah and the Book of Summer by Michelle Gable. the next one is Whispering in French is for a book tour and less than 400,pages so it wo..."

Oooh...all great choices (and I see you are on my track - combining Classics and Big Books!). I re-read Wuthering Heights last summer and am currently re-reading Jane Eyre - I think I like Jane Eyre a bit more because Wuthering Heights is so dark (good just not my style). My husband read The Count of Monte Cristo (ha ha - I just asked him about "the count of Monte Crisco" lol) - he said "it's too long!" ha ha He says it's a revenge book - good but heartless. So, those are our expert opinions!

« previous 1