2017 Big Book Summer Challenge discussion

39 views
Sign-Up for 2017 Big Book Summer Challenge

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 85 comments Mod
Leave a comment in this discussion thread to sign up for the 2017 Big Book Summer Reading Challenge. If you have a blog, please also leave your link on the Challenge page on my blog:

http://bookbybook.blogspot.com/p/2017...

Welcome to your Big Book Summer!


message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 85 comments Mod
Diana Chapdelaine wrote: "Hi there!
My 2017 Big Book Summer reading list:
"The Games A Global History of the Olympics" by David Goldblatt
The following are all written by Robert A. Caro
"The Power Broker" a biography of Rob..."


Wow, Diana - that is an impressive list for the summer! I can see you like history and biography. One of the hosts of the NY Times Books podcast has been reading The Power Broker and joking about how huge it is and how long it's taken him!

Welcome to the Big Book Summer Challenge - enjoy your Big Books!


message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 85 comments Mod
Here's a link to my own 2017 Big Book Summer Sign-up post, with a list and photo of the Big Books I hope to read this summer:

http://bookbybook.blogspot.com/2017/0...


message 4: by Sara Jayne (new)

Sara Jayne I'll join in-this will tie in nicely with the adult summer reading program at my library, which starts next week :)


message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 85 comments Mod
Sara Jayne wrote: "I'll join in-this will tie in nicely with the adult summer reading program at my library, which starts next week :)"

Great, Sara! And thanks for reminding me - I think my library's summer reading program starts soon, too :)

Any idea which Big Books you might tackle this summer or will you choose as you go?

Welcome to your Big Book Summer!


message 6: by writer... (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 5 comments Sue wrote: "Leave a comment in this discussion thread to sign up for the 2017 Big Book Summer Reading Challenge..."

Happy to find you here Sue! I'll jump in again.. an annual event already for me and thought I'd search for a 2017 opp.
Glad to join in.. thx for hosting!

Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #6) by Louise Penny will definitely be one.. Canadiansetting and author Louise Penny


message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 85 comments Mod
writer... wrote: "Sue wrote: "Leave a comment in this discussion thread to sign up for the 2017 Big Book Summer Reading Challenge..."

Happy to find you here Sue! I'll jump in again.. an annual event already for me ..."


Great! Glad to hear you'll be participating! Welcome to your Big Book Summer!


message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate | 13 comments Yay! Goodreads is easier for me to join this challenge. I have several big books on my pile and I can't wait to work on them!!


message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 85 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "Yay! Goodreads is easier for me to join this challenge. I have several big books on my pile and I can't wait to work on them!!"

Glad you are joining the fun, Kate! Welcome to the Big Book Summer Challenge!


message 10: by Farmer (new)

Farmer Bassy | 2 comments This could be fun. I am listing the books I want to read. I currently have 30 books checked out on my library card, 2 ready to be picked up and 8 that aren't yet available to me. I tend to find books online or at the library, check them out or put them on hold, then try to read them. I have ADD, so I have difficulty staying with just one book at a time. Perhaps this challenge will help with that. So, I can't decide which book to start with, but once I get started on it, I will try and actually finish it before starting another. I have already started to read two of the four books listed and I am also going back and forth between 14 other books that are shorter. So, here goes to getting some books back to the library for others to enjoy!
At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon
In a Different Key: The Story of Autism by John Donvan
Different - Not Less by Temple Grandin
The Myth of a Strong Leader by Archie Brown
An Underground History of Public Education by J.T. Gatto


message 11: by Claire (new)

Claire | 3 comments Hello! Happy we are doing this again this year, my reading is slow due to health reasons but i do have some Big books on my To Read pile so here are the ones i aim to tackle this summer...
Anna Karenina 865 pages (Audio)
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova 704 pages
Warleggan by Winston Graham 471 pages
Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan 551 pages
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare 569 pages
I've started listening to Anna Karenina already, and in physical book form i am also already started on Warleggan.....AK i reserve judgement on so far, i think it's going to take some time to really get into...Warleggan i am loving!


message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 85 comments Mod
Farmer wrote: "This could be fun. I am listing the books I want to read. I currently have 30 books checked out on my library card, 2 ready to be picked up and 8 that aren't yet available to me. I tend to find boo..."

Welcome to the Big Book Summer Challenge, Farmer! Wow, I am impressed that you can juggle so many books at a time - maybe that is an unsung advantage of ADD! I get confused with more than one book and one audio at a time!

Looks like some great choices - my mother-in-law loved the Jan Karon Mitford series - I always enjoyed buying them for her!

Enjoy your Big Books!


message 13: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 85 comments Mod
Claire wrote: "Hello! Happy we are doing this again this year, my reading is slow due to health reasons but i do have some Big books on my To Read pile so here are the ones i aim to tackle this summer...
Anna Kar..."


Welcome to the Big Book Summer Challenge, Claire! So glad you decided to join the fun! No worries on the pace - I have my own health issues so I understand! The point is to enjoy reading, whatever your pace :)

Wow, what an awesome list of books!! I have never read Tolstoy & would love to try Anna Karenina - good for you! Maybe next Big Book Summer for me...

Good luck & enjoy your Big Books!

Sue


message 14: by Farmer (new)

Farmer Bassy | 2 comments Sue wrote: "Farmer wrote: "This could be fun. I am listing the books I want to read. I currently have 30 books checked out on my library card, 2 ready to be picked up and 8 that aren't yet available to me. I t..."

Sue wrote: "Farmer wrote: "This could be fun. I am listing the books I want to read. I currently have 30 books checked out on my library card, 2 ready to be picked up and 8 that aren't yet available to me. I t..."

Claire wrote: "Hello! Happy we are doing this again this year, my reading is slow due to health reasons but i do have some Big books on my To Read pile so here are the ones i aim to tackle this summer...
Anna Kar..."


I am not sure I am doing this right. I am trying to respond to Sue. She said she gets confused with so many books. I do too, that is kind of the problem. I either forget where I put the book and find another one while looking for it, or I get bored with one and hear about another that I need to know about. Then, when I return or find the previous book, I have to skim what I had already read to refresh my memory.


message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 85 comments Mod
Farmer wrote: "Sue wrote: "Farmer wrote: "This could be fun. I am listing the books I want to read. I currently have 30 books checked out on my library card, 2 ready to be picked up and 8 that aren't yet availabl..."

(yeah, the way Goodreads does replies is a bit confusing)

That's understandable! I just read Shift which is book 2 in the Wool series, and I had to keep re-reading sections of Wool (book 1) to remind myself of what had happened earlier!


message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobusaolcom) | 3 comments So excited for this Challenge. My list so far: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and As We Live Now by Anthony Trollope. Thanks Sue.


message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 85 comments Mod
Robin wrote: "So excited for this Challenge. My list so far: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and As We Live Now by Anthony Trollope. Thanks Sue."

Welcome to the Big Book Summer Challenge, Robin! I just re-read Wuthering Heights last summer (I last read it in high school MANY years ago!)

Hope you enjoy your Big Books!


message 18: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobusaolcom) | 3 comments Sue wrote: "Robin wrote: "So excited for this Challenge. My list so far: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and As We Live Now by Anthony Trollope. Thanks Sue."

Welcome to the Big Book Summer Challenge, Robin!..."

Actually, Wuthering Heights a re-read for me too. Also read it way back when. Doing a Bronte sisters read with a friend this summer.


message 19: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 85 comments Mod
Robin wrote: "Sue wrote: "Robin wrote: "So excited for this Challenge. My list so far: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and As We Live Now by Anthony Trollope. Thanks Sue."

Welcome to the Big Book Summer Chall..."


Sounds like fun! I also want to re-read Jane Eyre :) Enjoy!


message 20: by Cheriee (new)

Cheriee Weichel | 9 comments Thanks Sue for inviting me to join you!
I realized I've already finished one big book already this summer, and as Sue pointed out, I'm in the middle of another one, I looked at all my to read lists, and realized that I could read some of these and join you. It becomes doubly motivating, and I get to make a bunch of new bookish pals!

I've just finished The Color of our Sky by Amita Trasi at 416 pages

I'm reading At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson with 497 pages.

Other books I hope to get to include:
The Reader by Traci Chee 442
Do Not Say we have nothing 480
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore 444
Crooked kingdom by Leigh Bardugo 536


message 21: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 85 comments Mod
Welcome to the Big Book Summer Challenge, Cheriee! When you have your intro post ready, you can add the link to the challenge page:

https://bookbybook.blogspot.com/p/201...

Wow, that is a BIG list of Big Books! Looks like a nice variety. Christopher Moore's novels are hilarious - that should make some good summer reading.

Enjoy your Big Books!


message 22: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (AndreaStoeckel) | 29 comments This month's tor.com reading group giveaway is Kusheil's Dart, by Jacquline Carey, an author I'd never heard of actually )and it's a whopping 900 pages! It's science fiction....I love true sci-fi...I've put it on my currently reading list....going to try it


message 23: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 85 comments Mod
Andrea wrote: "This month's tor.com reading group giveaway is Kusheil's Dart, by Jacquline Carey, an author I'd never heard of actually )and it's a whopping 900 pages! It's science fiction....I love true sci-fi....."

Sounds good, Andrea. I like sci fi, too. Have you read the Wool trilogy by Hugh Howey yet? Also big books and SO GOOD!


message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (AndreaStoeckel) | 29 comments Sue wrote: "Andrea wrote: "This month's tor.com reading group giveaway is Kusheil's Dart, by Jacquline Carey, an author I'd never heard of actually )and it's a whopping 900 pages! It's science fiction....I lov..."

I think it's in my "e TBR"....


message 25: by Emma (new)

Emma Caballero | 1 comments Hi! I'm totally new to Goodreads - and book clubs.
For now I only have 1 big book I'd like to read this summer: Moby Dick (614 p.)
This past year or 2 I've almost read NOTHING. So I'm hoping this will get me back into reading more!


message 26: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (AndreaStoeckel) | 29 comments Hi Em, we don't bite ;). Welcome. Moby Dick is a great start and you can do it


message 27: by Sue (new)

Sue Jackson (SueJackson) | 85 comments Mod
Emma wrote: "Hi! I'm totally new to Goodreads - and book clubs.
For now I only have 1 big book I'd like to read this summer: Moby Dick (614 p.)
This past year or 2 I've almost read NOTHING. So I'm hoping this ..."


Welcome to the Big Book Summer Challenge, Emma!! And welcome to Goodreads, too - you'll find lots of book buddies here to get you back into reading.

Moby Dick is a great choice! I still need to read it myself, but one of my closest friends read it last summer and loved it. She said she skimmed some of the detailed chapters on boring stuff!

Enjoy!


back to top

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

Bury Your Dead (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Louise Penny (other topics)