Friends of City Lights discussion

Any books you read as a student that left an impression on you?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by City Lights (last edited May 26, 2017 02:47PM) (new)

City Lights Booksellers & Publishers (citylights) | 16 comments Mod
Had you not been assigned this book, would you have read it on your own? What's the difference (if any) between reading a book for pleasure and reading it for a class? Let us know your thoughts!

message 2: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa I wish more books that were required reading had made an impression on me, but some have. Maybe being made to read and discuss books on someone else's timetable for a grade sucks a lot of the fun out of them.

I don't think I would have read (or been aware of any of these) on my own, but they've all turned out to be some of the best books I've ever read:

Tolstoy's Resurrection for a high school English class

Rachel and Her Children: Homeless Families in America for a college political ideology class (more than anything in my life, this class is why I'm a liberal. I wish I could track down the professor and tell him that.)

The Story of Zahra and The Open Door in a college modern Arabic lit class.

message 3: by Jenn "JR" (new)

Jenn "JR" (jennconspiracy) | 2 comments Gabriel Garcia Marquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude as an an undergrad (in Spanish).

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg (gmtjoy) | 2 comments The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Kids (at least back then) didn't really think about where their food came from until they read the Jungle. Then they tried really hard not to think about it.