EDUT 522, 2017 Summer discussion

Book Choice

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Collins | 1 comments Hi class! I decided to read a book about best practices for emerging technology. As I am reading, I notice it is geared toward higher education, but I am going to continue to read it anyways. I think it is important as an elementary teacher to know what students are expected to know how to do in regards to technology in higher education. I am hoping to be able to take away information from this book and use it in my elementary classroom. What book did you decide on? Why did you select that particular book?

message 2: by Marie (new)

Marie (marierocha) | 1 comments Hi Courtney,
I am reading the same book and although it is for higher education. I can see how it applies to elementary, even kindergarten. I am getting some new information from this book, filling in some missing information in my technology journey.

Marie

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1 comments After much time searching and reading book synopsis, I settled on this book Disruption: Emerging Technologies and the Future of Work. It is written by Victor Del Rosal and was published in 2015, so at least it is fairly up to date. If that even exists anymore. I have not had a chance to delve into it yet ( I ordered the actual book and it just arrived), but I have skimmed the contents and Foreward. I think his opening statement is what we've been talking about over the course of this program, so I am hoping this will be an interesting read.
" Innovations is not something that can be produced on-demand-there are no recipes for crafting technological breakthroughs. Instead, we can aim at increasing the probability of triggering the kind of associations that end up producing disruptive technologies."
The book covers many new technologies as well as a section on "Education for Disruptors". My gut feeling is some of these technologies I will be reading about are going to freak me out more than anything.

message 4: by Hartley (last edited May 28, 2017 12:08PM) (new)

Hartley (goodreadscomhartley) | 1 comments Hello,

I found this title very interesting:
It's Now Possible - Emerging Technologies & Physical Education

With all the discussion about using emerging technology in the classroom, what about on the playground or within the gymnasium?
This book seems to touch on a subject that is compromised as technology improves. Lack of physical movement, exertion, and exercise increases as do our mechanisms to function whilst dependent upon technology; the inherent irony in this book is to actually take advantage of the very advances in technology that make physical output obsolete and to use them to improve physical well-being.

-Hartley

message 5: by Robert (last edited May 28, 2017 12:48PM) (new)

Robert Faris | 2 comments Hi Hartley,
That is a great idea ! Just like you commented, with all of the emerging technology in the classroom, what about the playground or gym? You are absolutely correct. And with all of the sitting around on a chromebook or other device, the students are going to need some exercise. I know for myself, I am spending hours on the computer reading and researching new ideas. I need to be doing more moving. Therefore, improving physical well-being is going to be a very big idea now and in the future. Thanks for sharing, Robert
By the way, everyone, I know Hartley very well, and the picture shows his best side. Great picture of the "Big Lebowski" !

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Faris | 2 comments Best Practices for Teaching with Emerging Technologies
Hello Classmates,
Marie was kind enough to share one of the three new books that she ordered on Amazon. I also purchased two books written by Austin Kleon. Marie shared another book with me that had a great chapter on emerging technologies. The title of that book is Emerging Technologies , A Primer for Librarians. The book was written by Jennifer Koerber and Michael P. Sauers. I will try to place it on this post. The last chapter is titled , "Keeping Up with Emerging Technologies. I believe that will be our challenge. I spoke to an expert in technology at the Apple Store, and he suggested a few places that he shares with customers to keep -up with new emerging technologies. I will share those as well with the group.
Thanks to everyone, especially Marie and Hartley for all of your support and help. Emerging Technologies: A Primer for Librarians Emerging Technologies A Primer for Librarians by Jennifer Koerber
Emerging Technologies A Primer for Librarians by Jennifer Koerber
I know, I added it too many times. The next thing that I wanted to share was the places that the Apple expert gets his news on emerging technologies. He shared with me the following:
i-Move, wired, Google Now, Verge, Deep Links, and Stratechery by Ben Thompson.

As I shared a few of you, I think that my students would love sharing books that they are reading. Therefore, I am going to try to recreate this "good reads" assignment in my classroom.

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison Masumiya | 1 comments Hi Class,

I have a few new books on my "currently reading list". After our discussion last week, I bought "Show Your Work" by Austin Kleon. As teachers and with social media platforms, I love how "stealing" or borrowing as I say, someones work to unlock their creativity is so powerful! I truly believe that as educators we are life long learners and with the constant change and technology we need to work together as a team. Also, during our class discussion, Lindsey recommended "Kids Deserve It: Pushing Boundaries and Challenging Convention Thinking". I have yet to start it, but I am excited to read about multiple ways to encourage big thinking and making learning more meaningful/fun for students.

For this class, I am currently reading the emerging technology book "50 Things to Go Further with Google Classroom: A Student-Centered Approach". So far, it has discussed how to technology empowers educators to have a student-centered classroom and take on a student-centered approach. Alice Keller and Libbit Miller offers inspiration, resources, and suggestions for furthering Google Classroom in your classroom by creating a digitally rich, student-centered environment. I look forward to reading more and implementing it in my classroom as soon as possible!

50 Things to Go Further with Google Classroom : A Student-Centered Approach

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 8: by Mari (new)

Mari | 2 comments Hi all! After much deliberation, I decided on Teaching History in the Digital Age as my technology book. I think it will be most relevant to me as I teach history and next year I'm going to be teaching the AP US history class and really want to work on adding more technology into how I teach it.

If that book isn't quite right for this assignment, I've selected a second book just in case: The Future of Higher Education: How Emerging Technologies Will Change Education Forever which I think will also be helpful as I want to keep working on flipping my classroom.

message 9: by Mari (new)

Mari | 2 comments Courtney wrote: "Hi class! I decided to read a book about best practices for emerging technology. As I am reading, I notice it is geared toward higher education, but I am going to continue to read it anyways. I thi..."

I looked at that book too! I almost did it, but then decided I wanted to try and focus a bit more on how technology is influencing and changing the way history is taught.

message 10: by Ignacio (new)

Ignacio Rios | 3 comments Hello everyone! I decided to read the book "Best Practices for Teaching with Emerging Technologies" I noticed that there are more people reading the same book I hope this is not a problem. I decided to read this book because I believe that the more I learn about teaching technologies the more options I will have to better meet the needs of each of my students. I hope this book can help me to better understand the usage of technology in the classroom. I will definitely keep this book handy during my lesson planning and teaching.

message 11: by Ignacio (new)

Ignacio Rios | 3 comments Mari wrote: "Hi all! After much deliberation, I decided on Teaching History in the Digital Age as my technology book. I think it will be most relevant to me as I teach history and next year I'm ..."

Hello Mari! I think that is a great I always wanted to teach History. I guess that is one of my first reasons I like to travel. It is great that you found a book that combines technology and history. Thank you for sharing and enjoy your book .

message 12: by Ignacio (new)

Ignacio Rios | 3 comments Allison wrote: "Hi Class,

I have a few new books on my "currently reading list". After our discussion last week, I bought "Show Your Work" by Austin Kleon. As teachers and with social media platforms, I love how..."

Hi Allison! I totally agree with you, stealing ideas from other teachers is a good way to improve pr own teaching. For this reason it is a very good idea to have the chance to go to different classes and observe other teachers or ask the reading coach to teach a lesson in you classroom from time to time. I think I will buy that book too. Thank you for sharing.

message 13: by Don (new)

Don | 4 comments Good afternoon,

Here are the books I am interested in reading. Although a few of them are not "tech" books I have more than four that are tech. Due to the population I teach currently all of these books are related to where and what I teach. I will post again tonight when I have read the first chapter.

Improving Education with Emerging Technologies

Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-Based Approach

High-tech Teaching Success!: A Step-by-step Guide to Using Innovative Technology in Your Classroom

The Mathematics Teacher in the Digital Era: An International Perspective on Technology Focused Professional Development

Teaching Math, Science, and Technology in Schools Today: Guidelines for

Teaching Math, Science, and Technology in Schools Today: Guidelines for Engaging Both Eager and Reluctant Learners

Teach Math with the Wii: Engage Your K-7 Students Through Gaming Technology

Don

message 14: by Don (last edited May 28, 2017 05:42PM) (new)

Don | 4 comments My Summary
Teach Math with the Wii: Engage Your K-7 Students through Gaming Technology
Teach Math with the Wii: Engage Your K-7 Students Through Gaming Technology. 2013
By Megan Hearn and Matthew C. Winner

This book was published by ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education).

The authors began by acknowledging, similar to our first course’s presumptions that children today are much more likely to be engaged and interested if technology is involved. The authors begin a fictitious dialogue between the question asked a million times every night in every household: “What did you learn today in math class?” The conversation goes on to show a fictional student explaining through the use of a video game she learned a new concept because the concept is a lot like “basketball.” The mother then affirmed her connection.

The authors described on page five that if we as readers are reading this book then we are open to the possibility of changing the way we teach and changing our classrooms. The authors acknowledge bringing video games into a classroom may “raise a few eyebrows” so to speak. This is a concern of mine as well.

On page six the profound statement of the chapter is clearly articulated: “Changing Our Collective Outlook.” The authors acknowledge that children have many experiences “leveling up” while playing video games. The possibility of moving on to the next level has kept countless kids stuck on video games for hours on end as they just want to reach the next level before eating dinner. Prensky, from our first quarter argues this as well. They are also skilled in playing video games and using technology for a multitude of interactive ways (Prensky, 2010, pp. 2-4).

What the authors will try to do is persuade me, the reader, that instructional practices can be maximized with the support of video game technology. Specifically, the authors mention the Wii. However, for the purpose of this summary it is understood the Wii is not the only technology at this time that a teacher could use to supplement and enhance teaching math.

These authors, much like (Prensky, 2010, pp. 6), who we read during our first quarter, acknowledge we are teaching students and preparing students for a future world that none of us have a clue about. What we think the world will be like in ten years will certainly be incorrect. Learning about learning is far more important than learning and memorizing stuff. The authors note that we must adapt. I tend to agree.

I enjoyed reading the first chapter. I think that much of what I read is already intuitively known. Yet, it is hard for me to trust myself and bring “games” into my classroom. I suppose I am afraid of having to explain myself to some district administrator when they pop in to look in at my class. I am excited to read the remainder of this book. Perhaps having instruction supplemented with video game technology might be the way to go. I will find out more soon enough.

Don

Hearn, Megan and Matthew C. Winner (2013). Teach Math with the Wii: Engage Your K-7 Students Through Gaming Technology. ISTE

Prensky, M. R. (2010). Teaching digital natives: Partnering for real learning. Corwin Press.

message 15: by Don (new)

Don | 4 comments Ignacio wrote: "Allison wrote: "Hi Class,

I have a few new books on my "currently reading list". After our discussion last week, I bought "Show Your Work" by Austin Kleon. As teachers and with social media platf..."

Sounds like an interesting topic. I look forward to reading your summaries in the weeks to come.
Don

message 16: by Don (new)

Don | 4 comments Courtney wrote: "Hi class! I decided to read a book about best practices for emerging technology. As I am reading, I notice it is geared toward higher education, but I am going to continue to read it anyways. I thi..."

Melissa wrote: "After much time searching and reading book synopsis, I settled on this book Disruption: Emerging Technologies and the Future of Work. It is written by Victor Del Rosal and was publi..."

Hi Courtney,

Still could be practical. I imagine it will be. I am interested in reading your upcoming summaries.
Don

message 17: by Lindsey (last edited Jun 27, 2017 02:49PM) (new)

Lindsey (missg431) | 1 comments Hi everyone!

My Amazon cart is full with all the books that everyone has been recommending so far in this class! I've added most of them to my "Want to Read" list. For this assignment, I am going to be focusing on "Teaching Digital Natives: Partnering for Real Learning."

The first chapter of this book focuses on partnering. Because students of today are digital natives, teachers can harness their comfort with technology and partner with their students for the best possible outcomes. Partnering allows both students and teachers to do what they do best. A student's role in partnering includes- researcher, technology user and expert, thinker and sense-maker, world changer, and self-teacher. A teacher's role in partnering includes- coach and guide, goal setter and questioner, learning designer, context provider, rigor provider and quality assurer. In partnering, both students and teachers have an active role in ensuring a successful partnership. The student is not a passive participant, and the teacher is not the all-knowing entity who simply bestows new information upon the student. According to Prensky, partnering can go beyond the teacher and student to also include parents and school principal. Including the parents and principal in the partnering leads to a complete team that is working together toward success for the student. I'm looking forward to delving further into the idea of partnering to learn how to best support my students, and myself, in pursuit of successful partnerships with my future students!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

Book Review: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e...

message 18: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Crew | 10 comments I choose a book that focuses on strategies to implement technology rather than a specific technology. Best Practices for Teaching with Emerging Technologies This book will provide strategies that will stay relevant longer than specific technologies, which will change regularly.

message 19: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Crew | 10 comments Don wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Hi class! I decided to read a book about best practices for emerging technology. As I am reading, I notice it is geared toward higher education, but I am going to continue to read ..."
Nice book choice, there will be some key strategies that you can get from this valuable resource.

message 20: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Crew | 10 comments Don wrote: "Ignacio wrote: "Allison wrote: "Hi Class,

I have a few new books on my "currently reading list". After our discussion last week, I bought "Show Your Work" by Austin Kleon. As teachers and with so..."

I am also interested in being able to see everyone's summaries.

message 21: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Crew | 10 comments Mari wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Hi class! I decided to read a book about best practices for emerging technology. As I am reading, I notice it is geared toward higher education, but I am going to continue to read ..."

I added that book as well because of its relevance. Hopefully, the strategies that it provides will be valuable for years to come.

message 22: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Crew | 10 comments Robert wrote: "Best Practices for Teaching with Emerging Technologies
Hello Classmates,
Marie was kind enough to share one of the three new books that she ordered on Amazon. I also purchased two ..."

I am excited to hear about your takeaways from this text. I have used Google and find that there are some valuable strategies that this book will address when using Google in the classroom.

message 23: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Crew | 10 comments Hartley wrote: "Hello,

I found this title very interesting:

With all ..."

Physical education will continue to be a valuable subject. Please share what you discover from your text choice.

message 24: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Crew | 10 comments Allison wrote: "Hi Class,

I have a few new books on my "currently reading list". After our discussion last week, I bought "Show Your Work" by Austin Kleon. As teachers and with social media platforms, I love how..."

I am excited to hear about your takeaways from this text. I have used Google and find that there are some valuable strategies that this book will address when using Google in the classroom.

message 25: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Crew | 10 comments Courtney wrote: "Hi class! I decided to read a book about best practices for emerging technology. As I am reading, I notice it is geared toward higher education, but I am going to continue to read it anyways. I thi..."
It will be interesting to see how my takeaways differ from a secondary teacher perspective.

message 26: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Crew | 10 comments Melissa wrote: "After much time searching and reading book synopsis, I settled on this book Disruption: Emerging Technologies and the Future of Work. It is written by Victor Del Rosal and was publi..."

This is going to be applicable for our career pathway at our school. I am excited to hear what you get from the book.

message 27: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Crew | 10 comments Mari wrote: "Hi all! After much deliberation, I decided on Teaching History in the Digital Age as my technology book. I think it will be most relevant to me as I teach history and next year I'm ..."

I am excited, it sounds like your AP class will benefit from this text immediately.

message 28: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Bump | 1 comments Hi All,
I have decided to read The Future of Higher Education: How Emerging Technologies Will Change Education Forever and I am hoping that it proves worthwhile. I think it's important to keep myself up to date on the new ideas/concepts for the classroom which happens to also be one of the main reasons that I am taking this particular coursework. I constantly strive to not only improve my knowledge of technology in the classroom, but also to expand my thinking beyond the four walls.

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 3 comments Hello Everyone, I have decided to read Best Practices for Teaching with Emerging Technologies. I had a hard time narrowing it down and felt a bit overwhelmed by the choices, but this book seems like a good overview for incorporating technology into the classroom. It looks like a few others have also chosen this text. I look forward to reading it and exploring the new concepts. I hope to make some strategic changes in how I use technology with 12th grade English next year, reduce paper and incorporate skills that will benefit students as they transition into their post high school studies.

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 3 comments Ryan wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Hi class! I decided to read a book about best practices for emerging technology. As I am reading, I notice it is geared toward higher education, but I am going to continue to read ..."

Hi Courtney, I haven't received my book yet, but it sounds like it is geared toward higher education. However, I bet you will still benefit from reading it :)

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 3 comments Ryan wrote: "Allison wrote: "Hi Class,

I have a few new books on my "currently reading list". After our discussion last week, I bought "Show Your Work" by Austin Kleon. As teachers and with social media platf..."

Hi Allison, I also bought Show Your Work and am loving browsing through it. There are some great tips for creativity and consistently sharing what you do, promoting more creativity.

message 32: by Vang (new)

Vang Yang (vpyang559) | 1 comments Courtney wrote: "Hi class! I decided to read a book about best practices for emerging technology. As I am reading, I notice it is geared toward higher education, but I am going to continue to read it anyways. I thi..."

I am also reading "Best Practices for Teaching with Emerging Technology." I agree that it is for secondary grade school, but some applications can relate to primary grade school as well. I took interest in chapter 4, which talks about the various tools for communication and content creation. Many are accessible through online which are also free to use.