Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Love Warrior > 8. Definition of Sexy

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
What do you think about Glennon's explanation of sexy (page 248) and the explanation of sexy she gives to her daughters (page 252). Is there anything you would add or change?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
I've returned my copy of the book to the library, so don't have page numbers. From memory and personal perspective, sexy can be defined by personal impressions. First, how do we feel about ourselves, Do I like what I see in the mirror. About 26 years ago, I had a double mastectomy and had both breasts removed. HARD!! I was a cancer patient, and have endured many things that have taken a lot of sex appeal away. I'm not too cute. Personal confidence in ourselves is a big one. I'm lucky to have married a man that doesn't put a lot of importance in "Missing parts." We don't have a lot going for us that way, and I don't feel sexy.

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments When I read Glennon's explanation to her daughters, I remember thinking, "She said all that to a 5 year old!? It would have gone right over my kindergarten class's heads!" I kind of agree with her, but I feel the world has put such a bad light on the word sexy, that it seems if you look that way you look easy. And to me, I think sexy is a look or action that gets others to feel attraction and arouse feelings. This is great between husband and wife, but high schoolers trying to look sexy... I think it just brings problems. My wish is that women would try to look beautiful and confident (which I think is how Glennon describes sexy). But the world definition doesn't see it that way.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I don't like the word "sexy" either. I cringe when I hear a child use this word. I guess the common usage has evolved, but the root word is still "sex" and I long for the days when small children didn't even have the concept. I agree that Glennon really means beautiful and confident, but those words can be founded within yourself. "Sexy" to me means how other people respond to you. And if you really are confident - then who cares what other people think of you? It's good for your spouse to find you attractive, of course, but to me it sounds like she wants the world to find her "sexy". As long as she's even concerned about that, she's not going to be a happy, self-actualized person.

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela (angeladecker814) | 104 comments I haven't read this book, but I love Cindy's comment.