Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Love Warrior > 6. Invitation to come back to life.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
6. After Glennon accepts her pregnancy as an invitation to come back to life and Craig proposes, she decides she will be a new person. Have you ever wanted to put your old self in a box and tuck it away? Do you believe it's possible to be a new person?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
YES! I've thought about this type of question quite a lot in my life. We can re-invent ourselves, become a new person, act in such a way that we can find that we are truly happy where there could have been discouragement in the past. There are times that changes like say a career change can help us to totally change our behaviors and have fun in this new skin we put on. Glennon, being pregnant is facing a perfect opportunity to change her perspective on life.

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Mmm... not really. I just try to be a better self every day. One time my sister was starting a new semester in college and wouldn't know anyone. Her name is Amber and middle name Lee. My parents debated of naming her Amberlee, but decided against it. So not knowing anyone, she introduced herself as Amberlee, to see what it what have been like. Kind of of fun way to start new.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I think people can change, but I've never seen it happen through one event (like a pregnancy). Change is hard and takes a long time.

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela (angeladecker814) | 104 comments I think the time it takes for change to happen depends on what the change is. For example, I had a tendency to buy things I thought were cute but wasn't quite sure what to do with them, hang on to things that I no longer needed because I had spent money on them or I might need them in the future. As as were preparing to have a baby and eventually move to a house, I read a book (The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo) that helped me change my perspective, so I'm willing to let go, cut the financial loss in favor of lessons learned for the future, be more willing to simply give things away, and be more conscious about what I buy--only buying if I have a definite plan. it's had a positive effect on my peace of mind, budget, time spent cleaning the house, and general consumer attitude.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I'm so impressed that that book actually changed your habits, Angela! I read it and thought it was interesting but I didn't make any changes (and I probably should have!). I guess change is never quick for me!