Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Love Warrior > 5. Twelve Step Meeting

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited May 26, 2017 11:55AM) (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
At Glennon's first twelve-step meeting, she is relieved to notice that "there are no representatives in this circle," just "folks who are ready to quit pretending" (pages 66–67). Discuss a time you felt like you had to show up as your representative instead of your true self. How would it have felt to stop pretending?

message 2: by Carol (last edited May 29, 2017 10:41AM) (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
Times when I may have pretended who I was. Hmmmm. Been thinking about this, and am having difficulties noting specific answers on this idea. Years ago, I attended a program on addictions. I had two family members that at that time suffered from serious addictions. This 12 week class was based using scripture. and quotes from those that have been touched by this problem. Been personally blessed that addictions have not been major problems to me. So there is not a need to pretend who I am.

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments When I was drum major I felt I had to pretend. I had to be loud, firm, demand respect, and convince the band I knew what I was doing. That's the compete opposite of who I am. I don't like to be the loud center of attention in front of a big crowd. I want people to be happy, not firm and impose my will upon them, etc. It was hard, but it was part of the job. No one would listen to a quiet, do what you want, easy going person. Getting a big group to listen and obey required me to pretend to be someone I wasn't. I could stop pretending when I got off the podium.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments I always knew I would never be an actor - pretending to be someone or something I'm not is almost impossible for me. And from Glennon's experience if that fakeness kept me from major heartbreak and addiction I'm glad I'm like I am.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments We all pretend a little bit at times. Like we act confident in an uncomfortable situation in order to make ourselves feel a little more at ease. Overall, though, I think I'm pretty much a "take me as I am" type of person, so I couldn't really relate to this.