Trone Memorial Library Book e-Club discussion

What are you reading? > Summer 2017 - What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyholland) The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
The Hate U Give was absolutely incredible. To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite book of all time (my dog is named Atticus and my sun conure is named Boo Radley), and I would go so far as to say that The Hate U Give may very well be the TKAM of my generation. The message is profound, the characters are well-written and well-developed, and it is the author's first novel! I truly hope this becomes what TKAM has become.

A Stranger in the House by Shari Lapena
The author of The Couple Next Door has a new title being released this fall, and I was lucky enough to receive an ARC! A Stranger in the House certainly holds up to The Couple Next Door, and I've already made sure we will be ordering it upon its publication. I can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Confessions of a Latter-day Virgin A Memoir by Nicole Hardy
I think Nicole Hardy and I would be good friends. I listed to this on CD (she narrates her own audiobook). Having been raised fairly conservatively, I identified with much of what the author had to say and experienced. I really liked Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home, and this book had a similar feel. I love a good memoir about a relatable person, and this was definitely that.

This Impossible Light by Lily Myers
This Impossible Light is another ARC I was lucky enough to receive. It is definitely YA fiction, and it was written by a spoken word poet who I find very talented. Shrinking Women is wonderful, and this book has a very similar message and feel.

Because I love a great picture book, I recommend these titles:
The Dark by Lemony Snicket The Unexpected Love Story of Alfred Fiddleduckling by Timothy Basil Ering Lucia the Luchadora by Cynthia Leonor Garza

I'm currently working on:
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell Wolf Haven Sanctuary and the Future of Wolves in North America by Brenda Peterson Victoria by Daisy Goodwin

Can't wait to hear about what you're reading!

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyholland) I cannot believe school starts next week! What are you reading?

Fitness Junkie by Lucy Sykes
Fitness Junkie was really funny to me as a twenty-something powerlifter. That being said, I think readers who aren't 20-40 and/or interested in fitness would think it was really dumb.

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks
Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend was suggested to me by my partner's grandma. I would have never read it otherwise. I ended up loving it! There were a few gender comments that didn't sit well with me, but the story was gripping, the characters were well-written, and the plot was intense. I would recommend it to any adult reader. Again, a literal grandma told me I had to read it.

In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume
In the Unlikely Event was written by Judy Blume and it is for that reason alone that I toughed it out. Feel free to pass on it.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
The Handmaid's Tale is this post's required reading. Read it then find me - there is so much to talk about!

I'm currently working on:
The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher Eleanor and Hick by Susan Quinn Watch Me Disappear by Janelle Brown Weekends with Daisy by Sharron Kahn Luttrell Pawnee The Greatest Town in America by Leslie Knope