Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Archived: BOM/SGOM > SGoM for June 2017: ♥ Brother's Best Friend Romance

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments

Brother's Best Friend Romance: Books where heroine (or hero) loves her (or his) brother’s best friend or vise versa.
Listopia help, but please note some of the ones posted are waaaaay off:
   • Falling in Love with Best Friend/Best Friend's Brother/Brothers Best Friend
   • Brother's Best Friend

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments Reserved.

message 3: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (last edited May 26, 2017 09:01AM) (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments I've got a list a mile long for this one, but I'm going with Rules of Entanglement (Fighting for Love, #2) by Gina L. Maxwell , No Dress Required (Love Required, #1) by Cari Quinn and Man Candy by Melanie Harlow to start.

Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments is Wallbanger truly under this category???

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "is Wallbanger truly under this category???"

Not as far as I can remember! The lists are there to give you some ideas but they can't be really trusted! They are not always correct.

message 6: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments I'm in!

Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments ShoSho wrote: "Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "is Wallbanger truly under this category???"

Not as far as I can remember! The lists are there to give you some ideas but they can't be really trusted! They are n..."

It is #7 on that first list with over 100k votes...been waiting for an excuse to read this but don't want to if it doesn't fit! lol Anyone else know for sure if Wallbanger (Cocktail, #1) by Alice Clayton counts?

message 8: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited May 30, 2017 03:21PM) (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "is Wallbanger truly under this category???"

Not as far as I can remember! The lists are there to give you some ideas but they can't be really trus..."

I'm sure, Carly! That was a sarcastic reply! Sorry if I wasn't clear!
(view spoiler) But it's really good book even if it doesn't count for this month SGOM.
I've read maybe 15 books on that list and these are the ones that don't count, just on the first page!!! It's not a good guide at all!
Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell, #1) by R.L. Mathewson Gabriel's Inferno (Gabriel's Inferno, #1) by Sylvain Reynard The Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred Perfection (Neighbor from Hell, #2) by R.L. Mathewson Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6) by Julia Quinn Bed of Roses (Bride Quartet, #2) by Nora Roberts Happy Ever After (Bride Quartet, #4) by Nora Roberts

Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments Son of a gun lol, what about Bully (Fall Away, #1) by Penelope Douglas

message 10: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments ShoSho wrote: "I've read maybe 15 books on that list and these are the ones that don't count, just on the first page!!! It's not a good guide at all!
..."

I'd make the argument for Happy Ever After (Bride Quartet, #4) by Nora Roberts because Mal was a friend of Delaney, who was Parker's brother. Granted, he wasn't best friend, as I think that title went to Jack, the hero of Bed of Roses (Bride Quartet, #2) by Nora Roberts , so either way you slice it, I would say at least one of those Nora Roberts' listed counts!

message 11: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "Son of a gun lol, what about Bully (Fall Away, #1) by Penelope Douglas"

It doesn't mention that one of the MCs is a sibling of a character. The MCs are best friends, so I'd say it wouldn't count, but I'm not familiar with that book.

message 12: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments ⚜Trea⚜ wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "I've read maybe 15 books on that list and these are the ones that don't count, just on the first page!!! It's not a good guide at all!
..."

I'd make the argument for [bookcover:Happ..."

Yes I was weighing those books,I wasn't sure which way to go with them! They kind of fit and don't fit at the same time!

message 13: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments ShoSho wrote: "Yes I was weighing those books,I wasn't sure which way to go with them! They kind of fit and don't fit at the same time!"

Yeah, I agree, they are definitely in a grey area, because of how ambiguous Delaney's relationship with all the men are!

Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments Think I found one, that the library has AND it is in audio...and is definitely a counting book as it says right in the plot she's always been into her brother's best friend lol. Tempting the Best Man (Gamble Brothers, #1) by J. Lynn

message 15: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "Think I found one, that the library has AND it is in audio...and is definitely a counting book as it says right in the plot she's always been into her brother's best friend lol. [bookcover:Tempting..."

Yaaay you finally found one :) It sounds like a good one!

message 16: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (dubious_ks) | 86 comments Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "is Wallbanger truly under this category???"

Not as far as I can remember! The lists are there to give you some ideas but they can't be really trus..."

Carly, Wallbanger is funny & you should fit it into your tbr but it doesn't fit the best friends sibling trope

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6) by Julia Quinn is the deceased husband's best friend... doesn't count.

Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments Jodie wrote: "Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "is Wallbanger truly under this category???"

Not as far as I can remember! The lists are there to give you some ..."

Yeah I think I've noticed that the first list has a lot of misleadings because that list ALSO inlcudes the two main characters starting out as "friends" at one point and eventually becoming more, rather then just brother's best friend, so I'd rely on the 2nd one more!

message 19: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments Now that we have chosen this subgenre, I keep coming across variations that don't fit: best friend's brother, cousin's sister, ex's brother, etc. Oh well. I know I have a bunch, so will just have to look through my library more closely.

message 20: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I haven't decided what I'm reading yet but I'll find something soon.

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yes, it will take some weeding through my TBR shelves to find the right one.

Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments Yeah this one was tough! I am not shying away from the book I chose being short at 170 pages because well...with all my commitments I need a shorty now and again! lol

message 23: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (dubious_ks) | 86 comments I read Tap (Lovibond, #1) by Georgia Cates (brother's friend & business partner). There were pieces I enjoyed, but found myself skimming through a lot. Felt a bit wordy/lots of conversation.

message 24: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments Here are some books I've identified as possibilities. Any recommendations for which should move to the top of the list?
Half Moon Hill (Destiny, #6) by Toni Blake The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) by Julia Quinn The Marriage Bargain (Marriage to a Billionaire, #1) by Jennifer Probst Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1) by Caroline Linden Under Locke by Mariana Zapata Sleepless in Manhattan (From Manhattan with Love, #1) by Sarah Morgan Along Came a Rogue (The Secret Life of Scoundrels, #2) by Anna Harrington Seducing Cinderella (Fighting for Love, #1) by Gina L. Maxwell Wicked Becomes You by Meredith Duran

message 25: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Now you've got me off looking at all those books, Lara!!!! LOL!

message 26: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments I would move Seducing Cinderella to the top of the list, as I remember enjoying it. Sleepless in Manhattan wasn't bad, but not great either. My review is at: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..., if it would help.

message 27: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) Well, I picked A Whole New Light by Sandra Brown A Whole New Light by Sandra Brown from the list. It really shouldn't be on the list since the hero is the late husband's best friend and not the brothers. But, it was a good book.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 28: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments ⚜Trea⚜ wrote: "I would move Seducing Cinderella to the top of the list, as I remember enjoying it. Sleepless in Manhattan wasn't bad, but not great either. My review is at: https://www.goodreads.c..."

Thanks Trea. Your review is helpful. I have been thinking of rereading The Duke and I, but haven't read Seducing Cinderella so may choose it instead. Or, maybe I'll manage to read more than one from the list.

message 29: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments Lara wrote: "Thanks Trea. Your review is helpful. I have been thinking of rereading The Duke and I, but haven't read Seducing Cinderella so may choose it instead. Or, maybe I'll manage to read more than one from the list."

*grins* I always try for more than one!

That being said, I'll be reading the second book in Seducing Cinderella's series for this one, so I'll be sure to post back in here and let you know how it worked out!

message 30: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments ⚜Trea⚜ wrote: "Lara wrote: "Thanks Trea. Your review is helpful. I have been thinking of rereading The Duke and I, but haven't read Seducing Cinderella so may choose it instead. Or, ..."

Great! I'll be interested in how you like it.

message 31: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (dubious_ks) | 86 comments Lara wrote: "Here are some books I've identified as possibilities. Any recommendations for which should move to the top of the list?
Half Moon Hill (Destiny, #6) by Toni BlakeThe Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) by Julia Quinn[bookcove..."

I enjoyed [bookcover:Under Locke|20613920]

message 32: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) I'm in but need to check some lists

message 33: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments Jodie wrote: "I enjoyed " Under Locke by Mariana Zapata

I read one of her books last year, and really enjoyed it. I ran out and bought a bunch more.

message 34: by Jodie (last edited Jun 04, 2017 08:47PM) (new)

Jodie (dubious_ks) | 86 comments Finished The Mother Road by Meghan Quinn . Was a 3* for me, but I'm not really into slapstick humor. I did laugh some, even though it was just over the top for me & I ended up skimming quiet a bit.

message 35: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Jun 23, 2017 09:29PM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 392 comments Hey Everyone!

This does look like a tough one, but I'm going to give it a try. Maybe I can find at least two in my database. I'll post my books below when I find them!

Sub-Genre of The Month - June 2017
Brother's Best Friend Romance

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

Finished: 2 of 3

✔︎ 1. Romancing Mr. Bridgerton by Julia Quinn |★★★★| Jun 23
✔︎ 2. All The Ways To Ruin A Rogue by Sophie Jordan |★★½| Jun 19
❑ 3. Anchor In The Storm by Sarah Sundin

Romancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia Quinn All the Ways to Ruin a Rogue (The Debutante Files, #2) by Sophie Jordan Anchor in the Storm by Sarah Sundin
❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

message 36: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Jun 09, 2017 05:53PM) (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I read Out Of The Blue by Jill Shalvis it was horrible! The heroine was nutty and rapey!
The heroine is 24 years old and a virgin,her best friend's brother has come back after 10 years to their little town and their bnb.
She puts him in her own room and slides naked in bed with him while he's asleep. Nothing happens the first night. And she ends up telling him that she wants to have sex with him and he says no.
A couple days laters she goes back to him while he's asleep and this time she gets what she's after.
If the places was reverse for the hero and heroine he would have been raping her.
This reminded me of This Heart of Mine (Chicago Stars, #5) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips but in that one the heroine is remorseful afterwards and the consequences are quite horrible for her.

message 37: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "I read Out Of The Blue by Jill Shalvis it was horrible! The heroine was nutty and rapey!
The heroine is 24 years old and a virgin,her best friend's brother has come back after 10 years to their..."

It looks like one of Shalvis's earlier books. I guess our expectations for behavior have changed. At least it wasn't like some of the Old Skool books where women are "taken" by a number of different men and are expected to just keep going as though they hadn't been assaulted.

message 38: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments I did reread The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) by Julia Quinn as it fit a challenge in another group. This time I listened to the audio. It was very good and I had a lot of fun.

message 39: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Jun 09, 2017 07:41PM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 392 comments I found two more that are fairly new releases. I haven't checked to see if they are on the lists, but they both have the phrase ..."brother's best friend..." in the story summary.

All the Ways to Ruin a Rogue (The Debutante Files, #2) by Sophie Jordan
All The Ways To Ruin A Rogue by Sophie Jordan
Historical/Regency Romance - pub. 2015

and

Anchor in the Storm by Sarah Sundin
Anchor In The Storm by Sarah Sundin
Historical/Christian Romance/WW II - pub. 2016

I really like Sarah Sundin, too. Her writing is similar in style to Dee Henderson. Dee's stories are very engaging, non-judgmental and incorporate the spirituality into very realistic characters. If you ever need a military romance, her Uncommon Heroes series is very good. It's like reading a 'clean romance' version of Cindy Gerard's work.

message 40: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I read another one , Come Sundown by Nora Roberts he is her brother's best friend.
It was good but not as great as I thought it would be.

message 41: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm not having any luck with this month's sub-genre. **sigh**

message 42: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments ShoSho, do you remember if the hero in this one knew the heroine's brother? Deception (Southern Comfort #3) by Lisa Clark O'Neill

message 43: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "ShoSho, do you remember if the hero in this one knew the heroine's brother? Deception (Southern Comfort #3) by Lisa Clark O'Neill"

No I don't think so. (view spoiler)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 392 comments Finished 1 of 3

All the Ways to Ruin a Rogue (The Debutante Files, #2) by Sophie Jordan
✔︎ All The Ways To Ruin A Rogue by Sophie Jordan |★★½| Jun 19

This was a bit of a disappointment. There wasn't much of an issue with Max being friends with Aurelia's brother, but it matches our monthly genre in fact. Instead the author created an enemies to lovers romance, which I usually love Unfortunately, the main characters in this story took the enemy thing and their vengeful behavior a bit too far. I'm not a fan of Max at all and lost respect for the Aurelia more and more as the story progressed. There were some cute scenes and a few funny lines, but overall this story just doesn't come together well.

I'm reading out of order so this may be a second book bummer thingy. *shrugs* I've heard a lot about this author and seen her books everywhere so I'll go back and read the first book - eventually - and see if things improve.

message 45: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments ★★½! Yikes!

message 46: by Vicki (last edited Jun 23, 2017 09:18AM) (new)

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) I found this one on my book shelf: Sweet Enemy by Diana Palmer
Clint Raygen is Maggie Kirk's best friend, Janna's older brother.
I liked the story but most of the time Clint was an Alpha Male, b__hole it had a HEA ending but boy, it was a rough and painful trip to get there.

message 47: by Lara (new)

Lara | 2335 comments My second read for this subgenre was Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1) by Caroline Linden , mainly because I had it on audio. It definitely fits the theme, and has some really funny moments. However, I felt it turned into a stew of stereotypical tropes in the second half and I didn't enjoy that as much.

message 48: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments I finished my short list for this, and didn't really care for any of them, Man Candy being the worst. Started an ARC of On the Plus Side and it also fits the sub-genre, so hopefully this one is better!

Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments Was there a poll sent out for next month that I might have missed?

message 50: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "Was there a poll sent out for next month that I might have missed?"

No, there wasn't, but we Mods have something in mind, so stay tuned!

« previous 1