SciFi/Fantasy (Or Whatever Else) Book Club discussion

June 2017 > After Book (Beware of Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethall) | 98 comments Mod
Post here only after you have finished reading. Spoilers are okay in this thread, so read at your own risk!

message 2: by Beth (last edited Jun 13, 2017 06:59AM) (new)

I finished it! Overall I liked it and gave it 4 stars. However, it was a little too long and ended on a cliffhanger. It had too many unfinished endings! I will discuss my thoughts in more detail later.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Ok, I have had some time to think about this for a bit. I felt like this book started out strong, but the ending dragged. And then it ended on a cliffhanger so there was no resolution..and I am not sure if I liked it enough to read the sequel if/when it comes out.

I really liked the descriptions of dragons in this book and it was well thought out. I enjoyed the fictional world and most of the characters. There was something missing though. Maybe an element of fun? I can't quite put my finger on it. But there were times this book was pretty dry which shouldn't happen in a book about dragons! I was also hoping for more of an appearance from the title character (Getig) as well.

However, I want to remain positive and restate that I did like this book. It was well written and Maia was a strong female character. She didn't annoy me at all which was refreshing. I sort of wish she would have had a little more fun though. But I guess it is hard when there are Horrors and evil people running around everywhere!

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 9 comments I finished. I agree that there were parts of this book that seemed to take forever to get through. I found myself rolling my eyes at conversations that seemed to be repeated and really, haven't we all learned that the horrors are coming to attack the second someone storms off mad?

I liked the storyline, especially the cave with historical and religious stuff going on. The book could have elaborated a little more on that for me.

I do think a little bit that the author went into this really set on making more than one book and added a little more length in this than necessary. That said, the length seemed to be added in the wrong way for me. I had a hard time picturing things. I just didn't get the amount or kind of descriptions I need to be able to picture what is going on and what exactly things look like. I'm now really glad there were pictures!

Maybe I'm grouchy after staying up late last night to finish this, and that's why I don't have too much praise this morning. I also don't read a ton of dragon literature so that could be why I wanted more descriptions. Anyhow, I don't think I want to chase after Maia on her next adventure. At least not for awhile.

message 5: by Beth (last edited Jun 13, 2017 07:00AM) (new)

I agree with your entire review! I thought it was unnecessarily wordy and I wanted to die in that battle scene. If one more person "loosed and arrow" I was going to scream!

I was really intrigued about the life cycles and the machines that were discussed. Were they planes? And did they take place in modern times? And then it cycled back to dragons? I wanted to know more about that and I am sure it will be discussed in future books. But I might just check out a summary online to find out haha!

I am looking at books for next month and think I am going to steer away from hard fantasy this time! Can you think of anything you have been wanting to read in this genre? There is one called The Hike I am leaning towards but am totally open to suggestions. I will post the link.

The Hike

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 9 comments I wondered about the machines being in modern times also! Like did we make dragons and this whole time of dragons and things came after we destroyed the world?

The Hike works for me! I'm here to read anything.

The Kraken looks cool. I'm also interested in The Ocean at the End of the Lane, but that's Neil Gaiman so not sure if you'd want to go that way again haha! If you see anything that might be a bit on the creepy/ scary side I wouldn't mind that on the list.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Oh I have had Kraken on my list for awhile!! By China Meiville? Let's do that one! I was looking and both The Hike and The Ocean at the End of the Lane are fairly short..maybe we could do them both for August? And even just reading one or the other would be ok too! I think combined they are less pages than the darn Summer Dragon! LOL! Let me know, but I think I will go ahead and post Kraken for July.

Speaking of creepy, you should check out the book I am currently reading! It is called The Ritual and it is actually pretty freaky. I wasn't expecting it to be either! It's about these hikers in Sweden who get lost in the woods and they awaken some ancient beast that is after them. You should check it out! I didn't realize it was horror when I picked it out, but I am liking it a lot. Plus I admit I had to put it down and watch something funny on TV before I could go to sleep last night!!

SciFi/Fantasy (Or Whatever Else) Book Club

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hike (other topics)