Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

TV/Movies/Music > Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Demetrius (last edited May 26, 2017 07:31AM) (new)

Demetrius Sherman | 3 comments What did you think of the 1950's orginal and the reboot with Lenard Nimoy (Spock)
The makers of the original were forced to add a slapped on happy ending, where the remake kept the original darker ending. Which ending do you prefer?

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
I'm going to admit that I preferred the "true" ending. But then again--I have that problem with a lot of movies. I have always hated Disney's Little Mermaid because it doesn't follow the story as written by HCA. And don't even get me started on their Pocahontas. . . I'm sorry, but turning a 13 year old girl and a 30+ year old man into 18 to 20 year old's just doesn't cut it for me.

message 3: by Carolynn (new)

Carolynn (Molly.Groot) Evans  (molly_groot) | 11 comments Original.

Although, I usually end up torn, I *DO* like seeing new life breathed into older tales. A lot of times I find that it brings the new, younger audience back to the source material. That always makes me happy.

A current example for me is the new reboot of Anne with an E, on netflix. So. Do. Not. Like. But, I am a lifelong Anne fan. I adore that character, and the Cuthberts were the family I wished for when I was a kid- lousy childhood, and I would have loved to go live at Green Gables! I loved the books, and I really loved the movies with Megan Follows as Anne. I liked their take on it. This new one? Ugh.

However, I have a lot of teen friends (by way of my teen kids) I am passionate about throwing books at. Heh. Imagine that. Several hadn't even heard of Anne, and the new show got us talking, and I was able to introduce them to the books, and the older shows.

While I often get annoyed- not always- at new takes on old tales, I still like that people do update and remake. Even when I don't like the new take on it.

message 4: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 128 comments I enjoy fairytale retellings... I've read a bunch by Grace Draven (seems like all she does is tell the beauty and the beast story over and over in her books)...

Also like the Rosamund Hodge fairytale mashups...

I'm horribly lacking in classic movie knowledge... and don't watch much horror... so haven't seen either... unless you count the Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig one... that was the year or 2 of college where I saw a movie in theatres nearly every week...

message 5: by Demetrius (last edited May 27, 2017 07:12PM) (new)

Demetrius Sherman | 3 comments Iain wrote: "I enjoy fairytale retellings... I've read a bunch by Grace Draven (seems like all she does is tell the beauty and the beast story over and over in her books)...

Also like the Rosamund Hodge fairyt..."

Iain wrote: "I enjoy fairytale retellings... I've read a bunch by Grace Draven (seems like all she does is tell the beauty and the beast story over and over in her books)...

Also like the Rosamund Hodge fairyt..."

The Nicole Kidman version was the third. You should see the classic original or the Donald Sutherland version because they are intelligent horror films. You'd be having an intelligent discussion on what the movie was saying rather than how scary it was.