YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Girl with All the Gifts (The Girl with All the Gifts, #1)
This topic is about The Girl with All the Gifts
BUDDY READ: Horror/Thriller > The Girl with All the Gifts (The Girl With All The Gifts #1) by M.R. Carey - Restarting March 3rd 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 82889 comments Mod
Melanie is a very special girl. Dr. Caldwell calls her "our little genius."

Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh.

Melanie loves school. She loves learning about spelling and sums and the world outside the classroom and the children's cells. She tells her favorite teacher all the things she'll do when she grows up. Melanie doesn't know why this makes Miss Justineau look sad.

The Girl with All the Gifts is a sensational thriller, perfect for fans of Stephen King, Justin Cronin, and Neil Gaiman.

Karen Barber | 10004 comments Opening chapters. Not one I'd normally pick up, but I admit this introduction has me intrigued.

Karen Barber | 10004 comments Up to ch11. A very different opening to what I was expecting. Not sure how they've ended up here.

message 4: by Karen (last edited Jun 04, 2017 06:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen Barber | 10004 comments Up to ch17. Hearing about events from Melanie's viewpoint makes it hard to take what's happening to these kids. Not really sure who the 'bad guys' are here.

Karen Barber | 10004 comments Up to ch22. That was unexpected. I know there's something different about all these kids, but Melanie is more human than most. Interesting way to explore human nature/personalities.

Karen Barber | 10004 comments Up to ch28. Can really see how this would work as a movie. Some tense moments.

Karen Barber | 10004 comments Up to ch44. I like that we're getting to know the adult characters a little more.

message 8: by Karen (last edited Jun 04, 2017 06:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen Barber | 10004 comments Finished. (view spoiler)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments Hoping to start soonish c: I've gotten very sidetracked this weekend and have way too many things I want to be reading right now @_@

Ananya | 261 comments Read till chapter 6. This is definitely not something I would read normally.

(view spoiler)

Also, does anyone know how old Melanie is? I don't know if I missed that information or it wasn't mentioned.

Karen Barber | 10004 comments Ananya wrote: "Read till chapter 6. This is definitely not something I would read normally.

[spoilers removed]

Also, does anyone know how old Melanie is? I don't know if I missed that information or it wasn't m..."

I seem to think 12 was mentioned, but I might be misremembering it.

Ananya | 261 comments Read up to chapter 26. A lot happened in the past few chapters

(view spoiler)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments Ch2

(view spoiler)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments Ch9

(view spoiler)

Ananya | 261 comments Chapter 37

(view spoiler)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Chapter 5
(view spoiler)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments Ch25

(view spoiler)

Ananya | 261 comments Chapter 57

(view spoiler)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments Ch41

(view spoiler)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments Ch50

(view spoiler)

Ananya | 261 comments Finished. (view spoiler)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments Ch60

(view spoiler)

Natalie (esaria) | 4306 comments Finished c:

(view spoiler)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Chapter 13
(view spoiler)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Chapter 35
(view spoiler)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Natalie wrote: "Ch41

Doctor Cauldwell..."

Chapter 45

(view spoiler)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Chapter 55
(view spoiler)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Chapter 66
(view spoiler)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

End
(view spoiler)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 82889 comments Mod
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Date Changed. Restarting August 3rd 2017. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
***********************************************************************************************************************************************

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22640 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆..."

Thanks Sarah! :D

Trisha 15 chapters

Melanie(view spoiler)

Mrs. J(view spoiler)

Sergeant(view spoiler)

Trisha 30 chapters

Mrs. J(view spoiler)

Sergeant(view spoiler)

Caldwell(view spoiler)

Trisha 45 chapters

Sergeant(view spoiler)

Melanie(view spoiler)

Caldwell(view spoiler)

Mrs. J(view spoiler)

Trisha and I'm done

woah.... lol

Caldwell(view spoiler)

Mrs. J(view spoiler)

Melanie(view spoiler)

Sergeant(view spoiler)

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 20th of October 2017

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 37: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8000 comments This has been on my monthly tbr since the movie release so hoping to FINALLY get to it, this month.

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 3rd of March 2018

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Alaina (ameserole) Chapter 10: (view spoiler)
Chapter 22: (view spoiler)
Chapter 49: (view spoiler)
Chapter 61: (view spoiler)
Finished: (view spoiler)

Alaina (ameserole) Abigail wrote: "@alaina: i totally agree that melanie is the best. also, chapter 68 or 69 or something, [spoilers removed]

finished: [spoilers removed]"

LOL I HAVE NO IDEA WHY! I kind of want to see the movie before I read the next one

Alaina (ameserole) Abigail wrote: "ooh there's a movie? is it good? and, more importantly, who plays helen? i wanna see who they cast as this uber-attractive woman lol"

yes there is one! I saw it on amazon recently! I have no idea who plays her!! let me check real quick!

Alaina (ameserole) I seriously want to watch the movie.. maybe today or this weekend

Jennifer | 3551 comments Ch 15 - (view spoiler)

Jennifer | 3551 comments @Alaina - it's the Superstar movie with Molly Shannon. I can't see Dr. Caldwell making out with a tree at any point though. LOL.

Jennifer | 3551 comments Ch 35 - (view spoiler)

Jennifer | 3551 comments Ch 59 - (view spoiler)

Finished: (view spoiler)

Trisha wrote: "15 chapters

Melanie hmm....she doesn't seem to connect the fact that she's definitely a "hungry" but that she's somehow mastered it
I wish the Dr wouldn't dissect her yet

Mrs. J[spoilers removed]..."

I loved how the author did that. I mean she is just a child after all. It's quite believable she would be so innocent and ignorant. :)

Abigail wrote: "chapter 9: [spoilers removed]"

Caroline is definitely crazy. -.-

Alaina wrote: "Chapter 10: [spoilers removed]
Chapter 22: [spoilers removed]
Chapter 49: [spoilers removed]
Chapter 61: [spoilers removed]
Finished: [spoilers removed]"

Even is she is a (view spoiler) I can't believe they did that to a child! -.-

Alaina wrote: "Chapter 10: [spoilers removed]
Chapter 22: [spoilers removed]
Chapter 49: [spoilers removed]
Chapter 61: [spoilers removed]
Finished: [spoilers removed]"

IKR! I sometimes think that Melanie is a weird combo of adult and child.

« previous 1