The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 30.9 - Dakimel's Task: Rising Seniors

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 28, 2017 06:43PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
30.9 - Dakimel's Task: Rising Seniors

My sons have both just completed their junior years and are ready for the last summer before finishing high school and college. Let’s help them celebrate!

This is a two-book challenge. Pick your books from two of the following options. The genres "Sequential Art", "Comics", "Comic Book", and "Manga" are approved for this task,

Each book you read for the task must be at least 200 pages.

1: My son arrived home from his last day of school blasting Alice Cooper’s “School’s Out.” Read a book with one of the following objects on the cover: Pencil / Pen / Book / Classroom / Dirt. (“Classroom” must have at least 2 of the following recognizable elements: black/whiteboard, teacher desk, student desk, student chairs. “Dirt” can be a dirt road, a pile of construction dirt, garden dirt, etc. but it must be depicted with enough detail to be recognizable away from the context of other cover elements.) REQUIRED: Post the cover and point out the object when you claim this option.

2: Read a book whose author’s initials can be found in the phrase SENIOR YEAR. All initials present in the Goodreads metadata must be accounted for, and you can only use the letters as often as they appear in the phrase. If the book has more than one author, the initials of all authors must appear in the phrase.

3: The sons get to explore some fun environments this summer. Read a book with one of the following words intact in the title or subtitle: MOUNTAIN, OCEAN, BRIDGE, HIKE, TRAIL.

4: It’s not all play with no work. Pick an SRC-approved book voted for at least three times on this list: Best School Assigned Books. REQUIRED: State the page of the list on which your book is found.

5: The sons are teaching themselves to cook this summer. Read a book with the main page genre Food and Drink, Cooking, or Health.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Failing

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments In the list Best School Assigned Books, a number of them are plays. Would it be alright if I read two or more plays, with a total page count of >200 combined?

message 6: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments I found a good dirt option if anyone's looking.

Beyond Words What Animals Think and Feel by Carl Safina

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Melanie wrote: "In the list Best School Assigned Books, a number of them are plays. Would it be alright if I read two or more plays, with a total page count of >200 combined?"

Sorry, no - anything chosen from that list has to meet the regular SRC rules (plus Graphic Novel inclusions) and be over 200 pages.

message 8: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments For Option 5, would any of these books work?

Brunetti's Cookbook by Roberta Pianaro

A Taste of Venice At Table with Brunetti by Donna Leon

Thanks!

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Pia wrote: "For Option 5, would any of these books work?

Brunetti's Cookbook by Roberta Pianaro

A Taste of Venice At Table with Brunetti by Donna Leon

Thanks!"

Both look delicious & approved.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Is there enough dirt here - Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2) by Stuart MacBride ?
Thanks

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2967 comments pencil on the cover- Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson would this work for pencil on the cover

message 13: by Barbara ★ (last edited May 29, 2017 05:01PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 990 comments Would this work for dirt?
description

message 14: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2055 comments For option #3: are plurals OK? An example:
A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains
Thanks!

message 15: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Can I have Bread and Wine: A Love Letter to Life Around the Table with Recipes approved for Food and Drink, please?

message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3612 comments Option 1 - DIRT
Love, Life, and Elephants An African Love Story by Daphne Sheldrick

message 17: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Lauren wrote: "Is there enough dirt here - Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2) by Stuart MacBride?
Thanks"

Barbara ★ wrote: "Would this work for dirt?
"

Book Concierge wrote: "Option 1 - DIRT
Love, Life, and Elephants An African Love Story by Daphne Sheldrick"

All approved for DIRT

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Dee wrote: "Can I get Mercies in Disguise: A Story of Hope, a Family's Genetic Destiny, and the Science That Rescued Them approved for health?"

Sally wrote: "Can I have Bread and Wine: A Love Letter to Life Around the Table with Recipes approved for Food and Drink, please?"

Both are nice and healthy

message 19: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "pencil on the cover- Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson would this work for pencil on the cover"

Yep!

message 20: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Deedee wrote: "For option #3: are plurals OK? An example:
A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains
Thanks!"

Yes, as long as the word is intact, it is approved (so "abridged" would work, but "bridging" would not, for example.)

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily | 644 comments Can I get The Demon in the Freezer confirmed for Option 5 - "Health" on main page?

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Can I get The Demon in the Freezer confirmed for Option 5 - "Health" on main page?"

Wow, that looks intense! Yes, approved.

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily | 644 comments Melanie wrote: "Boston Kate wrote: "Can I get The Demon in the Freezer confirmed for Option 5 - "Health" on main page?"

Wow, that looks intense! Yes, approved."

Thanks. I'm a bit of a science nerd, so I like books like this. I read The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus ages ago, and I've been meaning to pick up this one since, so hopefully I can get to it this season.

message 24: by Book Concierge (last edited Jun 02, 2017 08:06PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3612 comments Melanie wrote: "Boston Kate wrote: "Can I get The Demon in the Freezer confirmed for Option 5 - "Health" on main page?"

Wow, that looks intense! Yes, approved."

Scared the beejesus out of me! I work at a major academic medical center with significant research being done....

message 25: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3828 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Scared the beejesus out of me! I work at a major academic medical center with significant research being done.... "

Now I have to add that book to my TBR!

message 26: by Trish (last edited Jun 03, 2017 02:20AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments This one's been on the TBR for a while. Can you confirm that it would work for the "Health" bit of Option 5? Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital

message 27: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Trish wrote: "This one's been on the TBR for a while. Can you confirm that it would work for the "Health" bit of Option 5? Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital"

LOL, so many grim 'health' books. Approved!

message 28: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Melanie wrote: "LOL, so many grim 'health' books. Approved!"

I suspect there aren't too many jolly health books! :-)

Thanks.

message 29: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyd) | 256 comments Cindy C.

Would this work for Option 5? It's a cookbook, but it also includes 10 short stories along with the recipes. I do read cookbooks from cover to cover, just like any other type of book.

An Irish Country Cookbook An Irish Country Cookbook by Patrick Taylor

message 30: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Cindy wrote: "Cindy C.

Would this work for Option 5? It's a cookbook, but it also includes 10 short stories along with the recipes. I do read cookbooks from cover to cover, just like any other type of book.

[b..."

It works!

message 31: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Can I have this confirmed for Option 1? The letters in the title Lab Girl are made of dirt.

Lab Girl by Hope Jahren

message 32: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Diana wrote: "Can I have this confirmed for Option 1? The letters in the title Lab Girl are made of dirt.

Lab Girl by Hope Jahren"

Sure thing! I'm intrigued by the book - glad you brought it here so I could learn about it.

message 33: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Jul 19, 2017 08:28PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Jilted by Rachael Johns Would this be ok for dirt? If the road isn't dirt, there's some along the right side of the road where it's broken up.

message 34: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "Jilted by Rachael Johns Would this be ok for dirt? If the road isn't dirt, there's some along the right side of the road where it's broken up."

It's an asphalt road, but the dirt on the side qualifies.

message 35: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments For words in title e.g Ocean do possessives work
The Inn at Ocean's Edge

message 36: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2413 comments its OK i found the answer in previous replies

message 37: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyd) | 256 comments Cindy C.

Can you see enough of the book on this cover for option 1?

The Book Jumper The Book Jumper by Mechthild Gläser

message 38: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Looks good Cindy! Go for it.

message 39: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2055 comments Just verifying that this 274 page graphic novel would qualify for Option #1:
SuperMutant Magic Academy by Jillian Tamaki
It has: student desk, student chair, and, at bottom middle section: a pen. Thanks for checking for me!

message 40: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Yep! As long as it's otherwise SRC it meets the task requirements.

message 41: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 493 comments Will this work for Opt. 1 for dirt? Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather

message 42: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Blueberry wrote: "Will this work for Opt. 1 for dirt? Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather"

Approved!