Historical Romance Book Club discussion

A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel, #2)
This topic is about A Scot in the Dark
Gaol/BOTM > BOTM June 16 to 30, 2017 - A Scot in the Dark (Guardian/Ward Romance)

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Discussion thread for June 16 to 30, 2017 BOTM. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions)

Happy reading:)

A Scot in the Dark
A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel, #2) by Sarah MacLean

Lonesome Lily Turned Scandalous Siren
Miss Lillian Hargrove has lived much of her life alone in a gilded cage, longing for love and companionship. When an artist offers her pretty promises and begs her to pose for a scandalous portrait, Lily doesn't hesitate...until the lying libertine leaves her in disgrace. With the painting now public, Lily has no choice but to turn to the one man who might save her from ruin.

Highland Devil turned Halfhearted Duke
The Duke of Warnick loathes all things English, none more so than the aristocracy. It does not matter that the imposing Scotsman has inherited one of the most venerable dukedoms in Britain—he wants nothing to do with it, especially when he discovers that the unwanted title comes with a troublesome ward, one who is far too old and far too beautiful to be his problem.

Tartan Comes to Town
Warnick arrives in London with a single goal: get the chit married and see her become someone else's problem, then return to a normal, quiet life in Scotland. It's the perfect plan, until Lily declares she'll only marry for love...and the Scot finds that there is one thing in England he likes far too much...

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 295 comments I've got this one unread on my pile so I'll join in the buddy read.

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments This author is new to me and I have her Love by Numbers series on my Kindle. So, I started with those books. I just finished reading Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake. I hope I can finish other books in time for this group read.

Mahak | 53 comments Count me in

Mariana | 2261 comments Including this one, I have read four books by Sarah McLean. I enjoyed her writing for the first three books, but this was my least favorite. In my opinion, definitely not re-read worthy.

message 6: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4060 comments Mod
Mariana wrote: "Including this one, I have read four books by Sarah McLean. I enjoyed her writing for the first three books, but this was my least favorite. In my opinion, definitely not re-read w..."

I have read all save one (the season) and I agree. She does tackle some sensitive issues, but as a romance, it doesn't work well for me.

Tammy | 123 comments I read my first book by this author last month. I'm hoping to enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1) by Sarah MacLean

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments I've read everything but The Love By Numbers series and The Season by MacLean and this one wasn't a good one in my opinion. I have a review of it that has sort of spoilers in it I guess. They're vague. But I just wasn't a fan. This was my second lowest rated book by her. I am really excited for the next book coming out in a few weeks though. I was just really bummed out by this book. But I'll read your thoughts.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 295 comments I'm starting this tonight.

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments I finished reading this along with Sarah MacLean's other books. I have mixed feelings on this. It is a fun read for sure.

Lisa, I will wait for your opinion.

Mahak | 53 comments I love Scottish-English combo. If you too, give it a try. I enjoyed this book so much, not just because of its plot & characters but in the end the message it give to scandal victims.

message 12: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

One thing I noticed is a similarity between the two wards in this months reading. Both go through a comical amount of guardians, and they are wards of Dukes.

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Joanna wrote: "One thing I noticed is a similarity between the two wards in this months reading. Both go through a comical amount of guardians, and they are wards of Dukes."

Haha. You put it correctly. The only difference is the h in A Duke to Die for is well cared for whereas this h is ignored most of her life.

I found the death of seventeen Dukes in a fortnight a bit implausible, but funny.

Tammy | 123 comments I will be starting tonight

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 295 comments I'm a couple of chapters in and quite enjoying it. I liked seeing the heroes from the other SM books making an appearance. And as for the death of the seventeen Dukes in a fortnight making our hero next in line.. I liked it. Ridiculously funny.

The only thing which doesn't seem to fit is (view spoiler)

message 16: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I'm a couple of chapters in and quite enjoying it. I liked seeing the heroes from the other SM books making an appearance. And as for the death of the seventeen Dukes in a fortnight making our hero..."

That's a good wonderment Lisa - it is a
puzzle to me as well.

message 17: by Priya (last edited Jun 17, 2017 12:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I'm a couple of chapters in and quite enjoying it. I liked seeing the heroes from the other SM books making an appearance. And as for the death of the seventeen Dukes in a fortnight making our hero..."

Lily:(view spoiler)

message 18: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Jun 17, 2017 08:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 295 comments I finished. It wasn't my favourite Sarah MacLean but still a 3.5 read.

The strength of the book was the humour - the demise of the 17 previous Dukes especially death by falling sheep and the bit when (view spoiler)

It fell down a bit with Lilly's initial bad decisions although as Priya mentioned it was more plausible when you understood her background. And also Alec continually pushing her away because he felt soiled by his own past (which I guessed) and most of the book wavered between her feeling not worthy and him feeling not worthy and not much other plot.

But still quite enjoyed it.. thus the 3,5 rating. I'll be reading the next book which is out at the end of this month.

message 19: by Mara (new) - added it

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 34 comments Looking forward to listening to A SCOT IN THE DARK by Sarah MacLean.

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I finished. It wasn't my favourite Sarah MacLean but still a 3.5 read.

The strength of the book was the humour - the demise of the 17 previous Dukes especially death by falling sheep and the bit w..."

I liked the humour. (view spoiler)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Lisa, I too am waiting for the realease of The Day of The Duchess. Giselle already mentioned a buddy read. May be, we can all plan a buddy read.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 295 comments Buddy read sounds good!

Tammy | 123 comments I'm a few chapters in and I'm not sure how much I like it-This doesn't seem like a plot I'll like...

Tammy | 123 comments I finished and forgot to come back and update. I liked both the hero and heroine and I found the book to be funny. I think maybe the guardian/ward theme isn't my cup of tea. I also wasn't the biggest fan of (view spoiler)

message 25: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 97 comments I enjoyed the novel. This is a new author for me. Would to like to read the rest of the series and more of her other work.

Mahak | 53 comments Sue wrote: "I enjoyed the novel. This is a new author for me. Would to like to read the rest of the series and more of her other work."

Glad you enjoy. I like it too much. She is indeed a fab author Sue. I enjoyed her previous 2 series. Must check, you will not be disappointed.

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Sue wrote: "I enjoyed the novel. This is a new author for me. Would to like to read the rest of the series and more of her other work."

I read all her books. Her heroines are strong women. You should try her Rules of Scoundrels series. Also the next book in this series, The Day of the Duchess is released today.