Historical Romance Book Club discussion

A Duke to Die for (The Rogues' Dynasty #1)
This topic is about A Duke to Die for
41 views
Gaol/BOTM > BOTM June 1 to 15, 2017 - A Duke to Die For (Guardian/Ward Romance)

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
Discussion thread for June 1 to 15, 2017 BOTM. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions)

Happy reading:)

A Duke to Die For
A Duke to Die For (The Rogues' Dynasty #1) by Amelia Grey

What is a roguish young nobleman supposed to do with a shockingly lovely young ward?
The Duke of Blakewell believes he'd better marry her off as soon as possible, before he gives in to temptation himself...

But Henrietta doesn't want a husband— she wants her independence...
Sure that she carries a curse that killed her previous guardians, Henrietta just wants the duke to sign over her inheritance before something terrible befalls him...

In a moment of passion, they become scandalously entangled, and suddenly the duke must take Henrietta's curse seriously, and she must take drastic measures to save the one man she could love...


Mariana | 2227 comments One of my friends gave this book a very bad review, but I am going to give it a try.


message 3: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 1 star

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3726 comments Mod
I haven't read this or any by this author, so I plan to participate. Hope it is good!


Mariana | 2227 comments I hope so too! A first read by this author for me a s well.


message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 358 comments Mariana wrote: "One of my friends gave this book a very bad review, but I am going to give it a try."

It's my first read by this author as well. I hope it's good *crossing fingers*


Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
I too haven't read any book by this author. Let us all try it out. Goodreads rating is 3.29. I hope this is good.


Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
When are you all starting?


message 8: by Loriidae (last edited May 27, 2017 04:26AM) (new)

Loriidae | 1098 comments I have read the first two of her the heirs club of Scoundrels series and will read the third to round out the trilogy. The plots are slightly improbable and the writing a bit modern. Light fluff. Three star reads.


message 9: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 1 star

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3726 comments Mod
I think I will be starting the second week of June. I decided to order it in used paperback because I didn't like the price for digital copy. Should be here by then.


Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
Joanna wrote: "I think I will be starting the second week of June. I decided to order it in used paperback because I didn't like the price for digital copy. Should be here by then."

Kindle edition is 10 times cheaper than the Mass Market Paperback on Amazon Indian site. So, I bought the Kindle edition. I have started reading another series and hope to finish it in 10 days. I too would start reading this book around the same time.


message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 358 comments The 2nd week of June is perfect for me too


Mariana | 2227 comments I was able to get the hoopla ebook from my library! I have one book to read beforehand, so I will also wait to start in a few days.


message 13: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 1 star

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3726 comments Mod
Mariana wrote: "I was able to get the hoopla ebook from my library! I have one book to read beforehand, so I will also wait to start in a few days."

I must have spelled her name as Gray when searching hoopla. Now I have a physical copy coming that I don't need 😶


Mariana | 2227 comments Joanna wrote: "Mariana wrote: "I was able to get the hoopla ebook from my library! I have one book to read beforehand, so I will also wait to start in a few days."

I must have spelled her name as Gray when searc..."

Oh no!


message 15: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 1 star

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3726 comments Mod
I went ahead and got the digital version from Hoopla. When I downloaded and opened it, it took me to chapter 7. Apparently, not only did I at least attempt to read this before but also tried to read it on Hoopla. This feels very much like the butt of a "you know you're addicted to Historical Romance novels when ... " joke - if those exist. Anyways, I think I probably finished it then - I very rarely do not finish a book. I am recalling some of the story, and I believe there was some good witty banter.


Mariana | 2227 comments Joanna wrote: "I went ahead and got the digital version from Hoopla. When I downloaded and opened it, it took me to chapter 7. Apparently, not only did I at least attempt to read this before but also tried to rea..."
Hmmm...it's never a great sign when you can't remember reading a book. However, on one occasion, I did enjoy re-reading a book I forgot.


Mariana | 2227 comments Okay. I went ahead and started reading yesterday; and I will probably finish tomorrow but not because it is particularly good, more that it is an easy read.

Anyone else start reading?


message 18: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 1 star

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3726 comments Mod
Yea, I would say I am more skimming it. I wondered if this was one her first works, but it looks like she had been writing for a while by the time this came out. At this point, I doubt I will try another by this author.

The characters seem one dimensional with little emotional depth thus far. The Duke is childish, as are his cousins. I like the heroine so far, but not enough to redeem the Duke.


Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
I started reading today. I didn't believe the H was 30. he didn't sound like a 30yr old man. Spending his time playing cards, racing to charm ladies, piles of unopened correspondence, no responsibility and all that made me think he was in his early twenties. I like the h.


Mariana | 2227 comments Joanna wrote: "Yea, I would say I am more skimming it. I wondered if this was one her first works, but it looks like she had been writing for a while by the time this came out. At this point, I doubt I will try a..."

I completely agree! My thoughts exactly. Everything just moves along without motivation or internal dialogue. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it's like the characters are more stereotypes than real people.

I also will not read more books by this author.

The Hero is completely unlikeable. However, with the shallow telling of the story, I really didn't care how despicable he is.

I liked the heroine at first.
(view spoiler)


message 21: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 1 star

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3726 comments Mod
Priya wrote: "I started reading today. I didn't believe the H was 30. he didn't sound like a 30yr old man. Spending his time playing cards, racing to charm ladies, piles of unopened correspondence, no responsibi..."

I don't think I picked up on the fact that he is 30. He certainly doesn't act like! He's concerned about missing a race when he has correspondence sitting for months that dealt with the care and welfare of his unknown to him dependent. Who knows what other important matters he was missing?


message 22: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 1 star

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3726 comments Mod
Mariana wrote: "Joanna wrote: "Yea, I would say I am more skimming it. I wondered if this was one her first works, but it looks like she had been writing for a while by the time this came out. At this point, I dou..."

Good point! What would draw her to him other than lust? He is not showing himself to be a worthy hero.


message 23: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments "Women, in truth, have but two passions, vanity and love; these are their universal characteristics." -Lord Chesterfield repeated by Blake. What a prick.


message 24: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments Gag me. I'm on chapter 5 and see no redeeming factors. I rarely skim books but from the first few pages I've been skimming. I think this'll be a DNF for me. He does act really immature. Also there is that one lady that he's slept with a dozen times that he says he wishes was his sister. That made me gag too. Gross. I dunno. Is it worth finishing?

(Also, I've read most of the books over the last few months but haven't had time to post about them. Would you still want to hear my thoughts?)


Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
Giselle wrote: "Gag me. I'm on chapter 5 and see no redeeming factors. I rarely skim books but from the first few pages I've been skimming. I think this'll be a DNF for me. He does act really immature. Also there ..."

I too freaked out when he wanted her as a sister. Yuck. I am at Chapter 7 now and didn't find anything interesting yet.


message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 358 comments Starting now


message 27: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 1 star

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3726 comments Mod
Yea, that is an odd, off-putting way to describe a waning attraction. I have not finished this yet, and don't expect to, may still try.


message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 358 comments Giselle wrote: "(Also, I've read most of the books over the last few months but haven't had time to post about them. Would you still want to hear my thoughts?) ."

Definitely!
I'm always interested in the thoughts of others on book :0)


Mariana | 2227 comments Giselle wrote: "Gag me. I'm on chapter 5 and see no redeeming factors. I rarely skim books but from the first few pages I've been skimming. I think this'll be a DNF for me. He does act really immature. Also there ..."

Nah, it's really not worth finishing. Nothing happens later to redeem it.


message 30: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 358 comments Oy!
The comments are not encouraging :0)

I'm 50 pages in and all I can say is that the H is a pompous, condescending arse!
Does he improve even a little bit?


Mariana | 2227 comments Lauren wrote: "Oy!
The comments are not encouraging :0)

I'm 50 pages in and all I can say is that the H is a pompous, condescending arse!
Does he improve even a little bit?"


He doesn't improve until the very end like the flip of a switch AFTER the sex scene.


message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 358 comments Martha wrote: "I think the curse should have been turned into some kind of vendetta/murder/try to still her fortune kind of turn, would have made for a more exciting story. It just needed something to pep it up. "

I also prefer an HR with a little adventure or suspense. Angsty internal conflicts or those based on lack of communication can be annoying or boring.


Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
I finished reading. I didn't find anything interesting in this book. (view spoiler).
I am not going to read anything else by this author.


message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 358 comments Well, I've given up on this one.
Very disappointing as the premise was good.


back to top