What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Apocalypse book, meteor destroys earth, radical groups, third person

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kalvin (new)

Kalvin Pineda (kpin) | 2 comments I can't remember the name of a book I'd read a few years ago about a person who was either an astrologist or a person who's hobby was looking at the sky discovered an object on a collision course with Earth. He wants to tell the world about his discovery, but the government instead discourages him. I believe it took place during the Cold War. The book is narrated in third person by an observer.

message 2: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments There was no government conspiracy, but Lucifer's Hammer is about an asteroid that hits the Earth and causes worldwide devastation. It was first discovered by an amateur astronomer.

message 3: by Andy Phillips (new)

Andy Phillips | 193 comments I've read a few books like this. Do you know what else happened? Does the object hit the Earth? If so, does the story continue, and what happens? Do you remember anything about the characters?

message 4: by Kalvin (new)

Kalvin Pineda (kpin) | 2 comments The object hits the earth, but the story takes place before it does, and we get to see the life of the character before it hits. When it hits, the story ends.
I know that the main character had a girlfriend, began working for the government, and I think had to give up his identity in doing so.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34408 comments Mod
A guess - The Last Star by William Proctor?

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Kalvin, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by Jaye (new)

Jaye  | 372 comments The last policeman by Ben winters is the 1st of a trilogy that covers this almost exactly as described.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lucifer's Hammer (other topics)
The Last Star (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

William Proctor (other topics)