Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Book of Jhereg (Vlad Taltos, #1-3)
This topic is about The Book of Jhereg
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Book of Jhereg [July 2017]

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Buddy Read start date 18th July.

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Hey guys - the book I have is called the The Book of Jhereg, which has the first three stories in it. I'm up for this read being all three, or if you guys would rather, we can just do the first one. What do you all think?

Shaitarn | 1862 comments The list of books in original publishing order are:

Jhereg
Yendi
Teckla
Taltos (UK title: Taltos and the Paths of the Dead)
Phoenix
Athyra
Orca
Dragon
Issola
Dzur
Jhegaala
Iorich
Tiassa
Hawk

The first three stories are in the first omnibus, The Book of Jhereg/Taltos The Assassin (UK title)

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan That's the one I have. Shall we do Jhereg, Yendi and Teckla for this read?

Shaitarn | 1862 comments I'd be up for doing all three (I hate leaving omnibuses partway through). But what does everyone else think?

message 6: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Yeah I don't mind doing that might as well if it's 3 books in one

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments I'll just read 3 smaller books instead of an omnibus in that case. I don't mind doing all 3.
Thank you for the clarification also. ☺ I was really not sure I've got the same books.

message 8: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt (Book Devour-er) (mpberger) | 9 comments Im confused, can someone link the exact one we are doing :P

message 9: by Dan (new)

Dan I have this one The Book of Jhereg, which has the 3 first books, I believe.

message 10: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6907 comments Mod
Matt wrote: "Im confused, can someone link the exact one we are doing :P"

I think we're reading this omnibus: The Book of Jhereg
which includes these 3 short books:
Jhereg
Yendi
Teckla

message 11: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 2130 comments I've recently read the first 3 so will join in the discussions. Doing book 4 now.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1603 comments I've read them all through Orca, so if ya'll are still doing them by Dragon, I'll hop on the buddy train

message 13: by Hacen (new) - added it

Hacen | 881 comments I'm going to try to join yall on this. I've got another buddy read on the 16th so I might be a day or so late starting this.

message 14: by Dan (new)

Dan This is gonna be great - my biggest BR so far. It's okay with me if people are late, I tend to be a slower reader than most, about 40-50 page per day on average

message 15: by Jokoloyo (new)

Jokoloyo | 5 comments I am interested to join the Jhereg buddy read.

message 16: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Welcome to it! I'm excited to read it and continue on. :)

Shaitarn | 1862 comments Are we still up for doing this one?

message 18: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Yes! I might be a bit late - I just moved last weekend and am having trouble finding which box it's in haha. But I'm looking forward to it. Are you starting today?

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments I'll start Jhereg tonight.
My current read "the Raven King" is a bit creepy for me as bedtime story.😞 So I'll stick to it only during daytime. I figure Jhereg should be safe enough!!

Shaitarn | 1862 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Yes! I might be a bit late - I just moved last weekend and am having trouble finding which box it's in haha. But I'm looking forward to it. Are you starting today?"

I'm pausing in the Sunrunner Book to read this instead. I read this so long ago I honestly can't remember much of what it's about! I do like Vlad though, and the writing style (the 4th book is one of my favourites).

Shaitarn | 1862 comments I've finished the first story (it's a quick read) but will wait for someone else to comment before saying anything. I'd probably give it 3.5 - 4 stars.

message 22: by Hacen (new) - added it

Hacen | 881 comments I'll start today

message 23: by Hacen (new) - added it

Hacen | 881 comments Are we just reading the first story for now?

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments I finished the first story and will probably give it a 3 star rating because it is well written and because it has a good plot. It was a nice and easy read but I didn't quite like it. It somehow reminds me of a modern espionage book set up in a fantasy world with witchcraft and sorcery replacing modern day technology and it is just not my type. 😕

message 25: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

I found my copy!! I might just hop in the second story within the first volume.. is anyone else ready for that?

Shaitarn | 1862 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "I found my copy!! I might just hop in the second story within the first volume.. is anyone else ready for that?"

Yes! I'm reading the whole trilogy.

message 27: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Shaitarn wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "I found my copy!! I might just hop in the second story within the first volume.. is anyone else ready for that?"

Yes! I'm reading the whole trilogy."

Cool! I'll dive in tonight if I have a chance. :D

message 28: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Finished chapter 1 of Yendi. I'm probably going to inch my way through this, but am liking it so far. I liked the first one because it felt like a true blend of fantasy and urban fantasy. This one is following suit. I wish I had more time to continue tonight.

message 29: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Dan wrote: "This is gonna be great - my biggest BR so far. It's okay with me if people are late, I tend to be a slower reader than most, about 40-50 page per day on average"

Dan, have you started reading yet?

Shaitarn | 1862 comments One thing I really like about this series is the lack of world building - it reads as though Vlad is assuming the reader is a resident of Adrilankha and doesn't need any explanations (I still don't know what a Yendi is, but I don't think it matters).

message 31: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Yes, I noticed that too in the first book. It's like he's so immersed in the characters point of view that he doesn't stray from what the character would take note of to explain stuff. I have to say it makes me more excited to keep reading to find out more about his references.

I finished chapter 2 tonight, and am intrigued, but it felt like it took forever to get through with all the names, references, and numbers haha.

message 32: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Through Chapter 3. Anyone else get the sense that Vlad is ADHD? Lol

Also (view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1862 comments It just occurred to me that this series is possibly unique in that I pretty much like all the supporting characters (there's normally two or three that wind me up). Aliera and Kragar are currently my favourites.

message 34: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

So... Shaitarn... you've probably already finished, haven't you? I apologize for being so slow - I overbooked myself big-time this month. I'm only through Chapter 7.

Shaitarn | 1862 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "So... Shaitarn... you've probably already finished, haven't you? I apologize for being so slow - I overbooked myself big-time this month. I'm only through Chapter 7."

No worries; if you want to discuss the book in the future, I'll be happy to talk about it. I'm just worried about dropping spoilers right now!

message 36: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Thanks :) I'll let you know when I've finished it... in several weeks haha.