CanadianContent discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives 2017 > w/o May 26 to June 1, 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3530 comments Mod
It is hard to believe that we are in our last week of May and then June will be upon us!

Summer will be an exciting time to relax and enjoy some reading... or perhaps the excitement of a reading challenge or two...

This will be our wrap up of The Handmaid's Tale so please add your discussion and let us know what you have been reading this week!

message 2: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited May 26, 2017 04:24AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments So I finished reading zero books this week. I'm still working on East of Eden and honestly, it's so beautifully written I don't want it to end.

I did finish listening to Paula Hawkins' new book, Into the Water. It's pretty good if you enjoy the mystery/thriller genre.

I'm now listening to Anything Is Possible, which is my first Elizabeth Strout book. I hear such wonderful things about her writing so I really hope I won't be disappointed with it.

message 3: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 639 comments ༺ Allison ༻ wrote: "So I finished reading zero books this week. I'm now listening to Anything Is Possible, which is my first Elizabeth Strout book. I hear such wonderful things about her writing so I really hope I won't be disappointed with it. ..."

I want to read that book as Lucy Barton from her book My Name Is Lucy Barton pops up in this one.

message 4: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited May 26, 2017 04:57AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments Rainey wrote: "I want to read that book as Lucy Barton from her book My Name Is Lucy Barton pops up in this one. "

Yes, it's a collection of short stories from the minor characters in that novel as I understand it. My Name Is Lucy Barton is on my to-read list. What's not!? Lol.

I jumped on reading Anything Is Possible because it's the first book in Just the Right Book Podcast's new book club.

http://www.bookpodcast.com/tidbits-ep...

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 723 comments This week I finished Scott Pilgrim, Volume 5: Scott Pilgrim Vs. the Universe. I have one book left to read in this series! I also read A Separation, a short, odd novel. I liked it but didn't love it. It's a novel about a woman who goes to Greece to find her missing husband, from whom she's estranged. It's a quiet book that mostly involves the main character ruminating about her husband and her failed marriage.

I'm still reading Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief, which continues to be interesting but also shocking, frankly.

I'm also reading Ill Will, which is a pretty crazy literary page-turner that is keeping me guessing. Pretty much everyone in this book is dealing with trauma of one sort or another and I find myself wondering what is real and what is not. It's messed up! I know I will tear through the rest of this book over the weekend.

message 6: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 251 comments I've had a good reading week! Finished and really loved the new Zadie Smith, Swing Time. I'd heard mixed reviews, but I think it's my favourite one of hers that I've read so far.

I also read a short British children's fantasy novel from the 60s that I wasn't familiar with, The Owl Service, which was odd and interesting, and Essex County, which I found poignant and well-done.

I'm now about 100 pages into Lady Audley's Secret, a Victorian sensation novel. Good fun so far.

message 7: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Happy Friday! So much rain we've been getting in Southern Ontario!
This week I finished The Hate U Give, Forty Words for Sorrow, The Chinese Knot: And Other Stories and One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter.
The Hate U Give got a lot of hype as "the" YA book of the year so far. I liked it but not loved it.
Forty Words for Sorrow was quite good. I didn't realize they made a TV series called "Cardinal" based out of this book. Maybe I'll try to watch the show.
The Chinese Knot: And Other Stories and One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter are both short stories, the former written about new Chinese immigrants to Toronto & the latter written by an Indian girl who never felt quite comfortable in her own skin and her coming of age "memoir" so to speak.
I'm now reading A Man Called Ove. Very light read and I'm enjoying it a lot.
Have a great weekend! Happy reading!

message 8: by Petra (new)

Petra | 651 comments Happy Friday everyone!

I had a great reading week and finished 4 books:
The Japanese Lover - I really enjoyed the story told. It's about relationships and love in various contexts. It's really a heartwarming story. However, it's told in a matter-of-fact way that kind of pushed me away a bit (I gave it 3-stars). I have read books by this author in the distant past and remember not really being drawn into them, so i think this reaction may just be me. I did really enjoy the story that was being told.

The L-Shaped Room - a 27-year old single woman gets pregnant in the late 50s. This story is quite an eye-opener for how things used to be. Although Jane matured and grew during her pregnancy, she felt a shame and rejection that is not part of society today (thank goodness).
If I could get my hands on the 2 sequels, I would read them but they are expensive. Am keeping an eye open for cheap copies.
There is racism throughout. It makes the book very dated and is difficult to read. It shows, though, how far we've come since then.

Nutshell - I enjoyed this Hamlet-like story told from the perspective of a 9-month old fetus. He picks up on a lot of things while being held captive in his mother's womb. He goes through the phases of anxiety, guilt, love, despair from the actions of those around him, knowing he's impotent to help or change things. It's a cleverly told story.

Secret Path - a lovely tribute to Chanie Wenjack. May his story and those of others not be forgotten. I think the stories of the children need to be heard. This is a beautiful graphic book that brings out Chanie's fears, sadness, fright.

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments Happy Friday!! (finally!!!)

I finished reading Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. I think there was so my hype that I had really high expectations for this book, so I was a bit let down.

Now I've started Random Passage, which was my gift from my secret santa. :)

message 10: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited May 26, 2017 07:02AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments Megan wrote: "Now I've started Random Passage, which was my gift from my secret santa. :) "

Yay Megan! I hope you like it. I'm re-reading it sometime this year for the favourite Canadian novel bingo square. I just hope it stays my favourite after the re-read. It's been so long!

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments ༺ Allison ༻ wrote: "Megan wrote: "Now I've started Random Passage, which was my gift from my secret santa. :) "

Yay Megan! I hope you like it. I'm re-reading it sometime this year for the favourite Canadian novel bin..."

:) I'm really enjoying it! I'm about 70 pages in.

message 12: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 357 comments It was a good week! I got to meet my wee preemie Great Niece who is doing well. It's raining buckets here as I write this. We had a taste of warm spring weather and now it's cold again, rain notwithstanding.

This week I finished The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion which was a fun read, and Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man by William Shatner which was very interesting.

Still working at Impact to Contact by Graham Simms, Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler which I didn't like at first but it's settled down and another one I didn't like at first, finding it very confusing, The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy but it's better now. I will have to start looking for cross-Canada books as well as planning to read a couple of Richard Wagamese for the Indigenous month challenge. I'll probably pick a couple more for that challenge as well, perhaps something by Eden Robinson.

message 13: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 198 comments This week I finished School of Velocity. The description seemed to focus on music however I found the story to be more centered around the sexuality of the main character. It wasn't really my thing.... 3 stars.

Next I decided to read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy because I seem to hear so much about it. Again, not really my thing. It certainly had witty parts that entertained my however I found the ridiculous parts outweighed the witty.

Now I am halfway through Human Acts which is a translated story around the development and revolution in Korea in the 80s. I'm not sure about it yet. Ask me next Friday. :)

After that I am hoping to read The Color of Our Sky or The Back of the Turtle. Usually when I declare what I am going to read next, it never works out that way.... again, ask me next Friday. :)

Have a great weekend

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 198 comments PS. I really enjoyed The Japanese Lover, really enjoy Giles Blunt but don't often read him any more, and thought Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail was just ok. The main character didn't seem very bright and I couldn't relate...haha :)

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments @Shannon, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy isn't my thing either, but I loved it!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments Shannon wrote: "Next I decided to read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy because I seem to hear so much about it. Again, not really my thing. It certainly had witty parts that entertained my however I found the ridiculous parts outweighed the witty."

I listened to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy last week and felt much the same way. I mean I get that it's satire and all, but it was just too absurd for my liking.

message 17: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments @Shannon, I'm getting The Color of Our Sky from the library :)

message 18: by Mj (last edited May 26, 2017 09:20AM) (new)

Mj Last week I finished The Fire-Dwellers by Margaret Laurence for my Classics Bingo Square. It's my third read of the Manawaka series and while it picked up at the end, I didn't relate as well to this central female character as I did to the previous 2. Laurence nonetheless is a very talented writer. Unfortunately, I finished it 3 days before the Cross-Canada challenge was announced or it could have done double duty as a Manitoba book but have another in mind.

Am currently reading A Tree for Poverty also by Margaret Laurence for the Bingo Square in Year/Decade of my birth. It's Lawrence's debut book - an observational book about Somalia, where she lived for a while and includes Somali poetry and prose, previously all oral that she wanted to capture on paper. It's more academic than I was expecting but I am learning lots and enjoying it.

Am savouring Ragged Company for my favourite novel re-read. Turns out my other favourites of Richard Wagamese's were non-fiction. This one is definitely holding up as a magical re-read. Wagamese's writing and his characters in this book are really drawing me in. Am looking forward to the monthly discussion about the book and using it for the cross Canada challenge - though still not sure if it should be an Alberta or a B.C. book. So far there are no clues in the book's setting. Could be any where, any province, any country. Homelessness unfortunately is universal.

I too have Anything Is Possible in mind for next week. I enjoyed My Name Is Lucy Barton and Elizabeth Strout's writing in general.

Have Random Passage on my bedside table.

Like Shannon, you'll have to check in next week to see what boos I finally decide upon. :-) Can pretty much guarantee however that The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy despite its popularity and being a classic sci-fi won't be among them.

Have fun reading everyone!!

message 19: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments Just for the record, I loved the hitchhiker series, and although it took me a while to appreciate her, by the end I very much liked Cheryl Strayed.
Last week I finished The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate – Discoveries from a Secret World by Peter Wohlleben It was an interesting book, although based on European trees, easily applicable to everywhere. I also read the visually stunning Moonshot: The Indigenous Comics Collection, Volume 1 which is a masterpiece of collective creativity. And finally, I finished Bloody Jack, poetry by Dennis Cooley which is a ballbreaker. By the time I was near through it, I received another title of his with a very good forward. I'm almost finished it, and I'm glad I was able to come to terms with the man (at times i was close to throwing Bloody Jack through a window) Its another case of admiring the man and his theories, the work, not so much.
Much more satisfying were were two short books, very different but very well done, Varamo by César Aira and Wenjack by Joseph Boyden Also enjoyed and learned a lot from The Translation of Love by Lynne Kutsukake I had no idea that the Americans had occupied Japan to the extent covered here. Its an endearing book about an atrocious time and the two young heroines are far from stereotypical.
Still pecking away at Stanley Fish How to Write a Sentence: And How to Read One Surprisingly, its clear that it has affected me as I carry on reading. I bet he would adore Clarice Lispector. I've had to be very diligent, but I am just over halfway though The Complete StoriesSome of the stories are very short, but I really prefer to space short stories so they don't conflate. . Still, she is so masterful I dont want to skip anything and since its another inter-library loan I am arranging all my other reading around it.

I was sad to finish my morning book Embers: One Ojibway's Meditations by Richard Wagamese which is silly because I have my own copy to treasure. Just love the man so much.
Now I have for my first of the morning The Mindfulness Solution: Everyday Practices for Everyday Problems by Ronald D. Siegel Its good, but not as inspiring.

Just startedTo Rise Again at a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris which looks to be a book I can take to the beach, if the weather carries on being nice.

The Street Sweeper by Elliot Perlman, and Hag-Seed are both waiting for my attention, plus I have the sequel to sleeping giants which is called Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel and those will be my next reads.

message 20: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "I'm now listening to Anything Is Possible, which is my first Elizabeth Strout book. I hear such wonderful things about her writing so I really hope I won't be disappointed with it. ..."

I've been dying to read this. I had the audiobook on my phone and I accidentally returned it to the library (thought I was returning a different book) so now I'm on the wait list again :-(. I have loved all of her other books.

message 21: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "I jumped on reading Anything Is Possible because it's the first book in Just the Right Book Podcast's new book club. .."

Oh, thanks Allison! Another podcast to subscribe to :-)

message 22: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments May wrote: "I'm now reading A Man Called Ove. Very light read and I'm enjoying it a lot..."

Oh May, I loved this book! Pure joy to read (or listen to in my case). I can't wait to read his new book.

message 23: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Megan wrote: "Now I've started Random Passage, which was my gift from my secret santa. :) "

Megan, this is one of my all time favorite books and one which made me fall in love from Newfoundland through reading. In fact, I am finally making my dream come true. I'm visiting Newfoundland in June!!!!! I can't wait. We're leaving June 10th.

message 24: by ❀ Susan (new)

To each their own!! It is always interesting to read differing opinions on books. I am in the group that did not love My Name Is Lucy Barton but then I listened to the audio format so maybe this had an impact.

Always nice to read comments about the works of Richard Wagamese and I am looking forward to a reread of Ragged Company and a first reading of Keeper'n Me in June.

I have had a fairly quiet reading week only finishing listening to Juliet's Answer: One Man's Search for Love and the Elusive Cure for Heartbreak which I enjoyed. It was an interesting memoir and makes me want to go and see Romeo and Juliet in Stratford this year.

I am in the midst of rereading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks for book club. It is still jaw dropping the second time as I read about the lack of informed consent and the experimentation. As a health professional, it sure makes me appreciate the importance of informed consent and reflect on the importance of ethical practice! I am also in the midst of reading The Weekend Effect: The Life-Changing Benefits of Taking Two Days Off, which is non-fiction about taking our weekends back and Rainbow Valley in my quest to finish of the Anne of GG series. Finally I am listening to The One-in-a-Million Boy which is quirky and engaging.

I am hoping to have some downtime reading this weekend

message 25: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Louise - how exciting for you. that should be a wonderful trip!

message 26: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Shannon wrote: "thought Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail was just ok. The main character didn't seem very bright and I couldn't relate...haha :)."

Shannon, that is EXACTLY how I felt about Wild. She struck me as being so dumb that she just grated on my nerves. However, after discussing this book at my prison book club, I have a new appreciation for it. The women all strongly identified with a flawed protagonist who undertook such a journey and many equated it with their journey in prison. It was a fascinating discussion, far more fascinating than the actual book :-)

message 27: by Louise (last edited May 26, 2017 05:27PM) (new)

Louise | 1171 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "@Louise - how exciting for you. that should be a wonderful trip!"

I'm psyched. We're flying into St. John's where we will spend 3 nights, then we're going to drive thru some coastal villages and stop in Trinity/Bonavista, then at Twillingate (with a must see stop in Boyd's Cove to see the Beothuk Center), then onto the Gros Morne National Park on the west coast for our last 3 nights. We'll be including some iceberg/whale watching boat tours too. I'm beyond excited. I haven't taken a trip without dogs since 1995!

message 28: by Louise (last edited May 26, 2017 04:05PM) (new)

Louise | 1171 comments This week I listened to The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon while waiting for his other book to be available (and the one I really want to read) Killers of the Flower Moon. Lost City wasn't all that good, but I have heard that Killers is good.

For Indigenous Book Club Month I am reading Stolen Sisters: An Inquiry into Feminicide in Canada. Like The Right to be Cold, the stats are sad, and this is stuff we need to know but non-fiction simply does not engage me much.

On audio I have just started Land of Love and Drowning and am LOVING it already. Beautiful writing.

message 29: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments @Louise, Ove reminds me of the old man from the movie "Up".
I'm reading his My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologies for my upcoming book club next.

message 30: by ❀ Susan (new)

Ove is such a fun book. I listened to it in audio or would never have known that it is pronounced like ooova. he is such a crusty guy!! i look forward to hearing your thoughts on this author's next book too!

message 31: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 251 comments @Louise, I had to laugh at your comment about travelling without your dogs! It sounds like it will be an amazing trip.

message 32: by Louise (last edited May 26, 2017 05:42PM) (new)

Louise | 1171 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "Always nice to read comments about the works of Richard Wagamese and I am looking forward to a reread of Ragged Company and a first reading of Keeper'n Me in June.."

I am also hoping to get to Keeper'n Me this month as it is the chosen book for the Indigenous book club on Unreserved.

message 33: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Louise - good to know! it was recommended to me when i presented to a highschool class about my blog. i have enjoyed every book by Wagamese so far!

message 34: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Emmkay wrote: "@Louise, I had to laugh at your comment about travelling without your dogs! It sounds like it will be an amazing trip."

I have 6 of them and we are always on the road competing. It's close to impossible to get away since I live alone so have no one at home to leave them with so they go everywhere I go (even to work). But after raising my latest litter I decided to take that money and go on a trip I have always wanted to take. Plus I'm going with a cousin whom I was very close to as a child and teenager and don't see enough of anymore, so I think we're going to have a really good time. I have read so many books set in Newfoundland and every single one of them has made me want to visit.

message 35: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Louise - right after you posted, i came across this on twitter: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/unreserved/in...

After seeing how much time and energy you put into those puppies (not to mention the fun) through your FB pics, you deserve a vacation!!!

message 36: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 405 comments Hey all, I have had an extremely busy week, so I have not gotten much reading done. I am getting really close to finishing Alias Grace which was such an amazing book.

I have also been reading Heart of Darkness but it does not really hold my attention, so may abandon it for now.

I have my 4 year old grandson for the weekend, so I don't know if I will get a chance to start anything new.

message 37: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "@Louise - right after you posted, i came across this on twitter: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/unreserved/in......"

Yep, I always follow their book club reads. It's a great show, but I save the podcast until after I've read the book.

message 38: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Heather(Gibby) - maybe some Dr. Seuss and Robert Munsch will be part of your weekend!

message 39: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments @louise that's awesome. You're going to have an amazing trip!! It's in my bucket list.

message 40: by Mj (last edited May 27, 2017 06:49PM) (new)

Mj @ Louise - your departure is only 2 weeks away. Have a great time with your cousin!!! Fyi, I'm about to start Random Passage for a Bingo Square based on your recommendations for this book and its sequel.

@ Magadelanye - hope you enjoy The Street Sweeper by Australian author Elliot Perlman. It was a 5 star read for me although tastes change over time and timing seems to count for a lot.

I too miss reading Embers: One Ojibway's Meditations but anticipate reading again and again.

I recognize I am in the minority for appreciation of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy but might try again when the timing seems more conducive. Whatever happens, not to worry. It's spice and variety that makes the world go around!!

message 41: by ❀ Susan (new)

I enjoyed Embers: One Ojibway's Meditations to and always intend to read one section before bed... but need to make it happen!

Sounds like Random Passage needs to be added to my TBR list!

message 42: by Louise (last edited May 28, 2017 05:40AM) (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Mj wrote: "Fyi, I'm about to start Random Passage for a Bingo Square based on your recommendations for this book and its sequel..."

Random Passage is amazing. The sequel however is not, so you can skip that one but I'm sure you will love Random Passage. I wish I had time to re-read it before my trip but I recently read one of Donna Morrissey's books that is set on the west coast of Newfoundland which made me want to visit so I'm glad I'll be getting an opportunity to hit both coasts.

message 43: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "Sounds like Random Passage needs to be added to my TBR list! .."

Yes it does :-)

message 44: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments 100% this weekend I put on Daniel Tiger for my son to watch for a bit so I could read a few pages of Random Passage!

message 45: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments It is so rare that I don't engage in Spine Crackers as they go along! I just read it all in one go -- phew! I'm exhausted! Such great reading going on, and it's actually quite neat to see each week's "themes" show up. Wagamese and Newfoundland this week! :)

I had a wild week, between work backlog, a gymnastics competition for a daughter in Toronto, and a day spent in hospital with my 9-year-old son who fell off the TOP bunk in his sleep one night! No idea how it happened, but he's ended up with a concussion and a shoulder with all its muscles torn -- he can't even pull on his own shoes. :( Poor little guy. Many emotions over seven days!

Amongst all that, I managed to finish Still Life, which I enjoyed when I overlooked some silliness and some gaps in the storyline. I found it quite easy on the mind, and I'm looking forward to the next one, which I'll read after a couple of other books I have lined up. I think it will be neat to do the Buddy Read of #2 in the series! Everyone says these books get better and better...

In audio, I gave up on Setting Free the Kites. It was just slow and boring and nothing but misery was happening. The library took it back, and I was fine to let it go. Onto the DNF pile for me, and I'm okay with that. Wasn't my thing at all.

message 46: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Allison - so sorry to hear about your son... we have had similar weeks as my 10 year old fell off the monkey bars and is struggling with a cast on his dominant wrist! Sometimes so hard to be a parent! Will hennaed to have surgery?

message 47: by Allison (last edited May 29, 2017 07:02PM) (new)

Allison | 1905 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "@Allison - so sorry to hear about your son... we have had similar weeks as my 10 year old fell off the monkey bars and is struggling with a cast on his dominant wrist! Sometimes so hard to be a par..."

It IS hard to be a parent! I totally underestimated it when I signed up -- haha!

No surgery here, at least not for the son. Hubby's hearing-aid screw-in-the-skull issues continue, unfortunately, delaying the whole "hearing" part! Aaaanyway.... thankful we live in a country that covers all of this care. Imagine not having this?! A fantastic reason to celebrate this great nation with the upcoming challenge!

message 48: by Mj (new)

Mj @ Allison my thoughts and prayers are with you wrt your son, your hubby and yourself. Hang in there. And you're totally on point about how fortunate we are wrt Canada's Health Care system and living in such a great country!!

message 49: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 251 comments @Allison, so sorry to hear of your travails! It sounds like quite the week. Glad you had something 'easy on the mind' to read in the midst of it all.

message 50: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments @Allison and Susan
may your boys heal quickly with no lasting repercussions!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.