2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > June - From Fiction to Reality

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments FROM FICTION TO REALITY
Duration: June 1 - June 30, 2017

We thought it'd be cool to learn more about the people, places, or time period in the fictional books we read, and to bring this challenge back in compact fun sized (monthly)! This challenge lets your fictional reading inspire you to read nonfiction books or vice versa.

You'll read books in pairs. Read any fiction book. Then, read a nonfiction book about any part of that fictional work. Or read a nonfiction book, then find a fictional work that's related to it.

If you were to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, your nonfiction book could be about witches, boarding schools, alchemy, or anything else related to the world of Harry Potter.

If you were to read Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania, you could read a fictional book that includes a submarine, takes place during WWII, or is about a ship that sinks.

-----

Example

Let's say I decided to read five pairs (ten books total).

1. Memoirs of a Geisha (fiction) and Geisha of Gion (nonfiction) - one is a fictional account of geisha in Tokyo while the other is a nonfiction version
2. Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity (nonfiction) and Breathless in Bombay(fiction) - both take place in Mumbai (formerly Bombay)
3. Modern Romance (nonfiction) and Match Me If You Can (fiction) - the first is about dating in this technological age while the second is about a matchmaking agency
4. Black Beauty (fiction) and Seabiscuit: An American Legend (nonfiction) - both about horses
5. Jane Eyre (fiction) and Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (nonfiction) - Jane is an introvert

---
Lisa will be the leader for this challenge

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Jun 28, 2017 11:11AM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Welcome everyone! :)
Have fun and happy reading!

Participants | Number of Books | Pairings Completed:
Amanda → 2/2 books | 1/1 pair
Debra → 4/4 books | 2/2 pairs
Greg → 1/2 books | 0/1 pair
Heather → 4/4 books | 2/2 pairs
Ilona → 2/2 books | 1/1 pair
Janine → 4/4 books | 2/2 pairs
Jennifer → 0/2 books | 0/1 pair
Kim. E. → 0/4 books | 0/2 pairs
Kristin → 0/2 books | 0/1 pair
Lindsay → 2/2 books | 1/1 pair
Mariela → 0/2 books | 0/1 pair
Meaghan → 0/2 books | 0/1 pair
Meghan → 5/4 books | 2/2 pairs
Nikki → 4/4 books | 2/2 pairs
Rick → 0/2 books | 0/1 pair
Sam F → 2/2 books | 1/1 pair
Sharon → 0/2 books | 0/1 pair
Stormie (Book Dragon) → 0/6 books | 0/3 pairs
Tania → 0/2 books | 0/1 pair

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Kristin wrote: "Lisa, I love this challenge! I am pretty backlogged with books that I am trying to finish, but will commit to at least one pair (two books)."

Fantastic to have you joining, Kristin! Do you know what you'll be reading for the challenge yet? :)

message 4: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (last edited Jun 13, 2017 10:46AM) (new)

Ilona | 3740 comments Hi Lisa, could you sign me up for one pair/two books?

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a Real Fake by Frank W. Abagnale

Both books are adapted to screen with Leonardo DiCaprio in a leading role.

message 5: by Janine (last edited Jun 09, 2017 10:33AM) (new)

Janine | 1033 comments Hooray! From Fiction to Reality was one of my favourite annual challenges last year, so I'm pleased to see it return. I'm quite slow when it comes to non-fiction, though. In the whole of 2016 I read 7 pairs (14 books), so I'm going to have to aim low as this is only one month.

Gonna try my best to get two pairs, four books.

message 6: by Eirelyn (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1153 comments This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but...

Janine, I saw your avatar & did a double-take because I thought for sure that that was my cat! XD

My kitty. :D

So as not to be entirely off-topic, I'll just say that I like the idea of this challenge & I *might* be back to participate. XD

message 7: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) OMG, that's such a sweet photo! Adorable! Love al the avatars with animals....maybe I should put one up of my pussycato!

message 8: by Meghan L (last edited Jun 01, 2017 01:21PM) (new)

Meghan L | 286 comments I am aiming for 2 pairs, with the following as possibilities:

FROM FICTION TO REALITY
Goal: 2 pairs (4 books)

1. Unhooked (fiction) and The Only Pirate at the Party (non-fiction) - one is a retelling of Peter Pan, and the other has the word "pirate" in the title.
2. Paris for One and Other Stories (fiction) and Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care (non-fiction) - The short stories in Paris For One are all about women, and Pushes is all about an issue in women's health and wellness.

message 9: by Eirelyn (new)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1153 comments Thanks, Susy. XD I agree -- I love animal avatars too; so cute!

message 10: by Tania (last edited Jun 30, 2017 05:58AM) (new)

Tania | 855 comments From Fiction to Reality

Goal: I'm going for one pair (2 books) to start
Progress (2/2)
COMPLETE

Pair #1 - soldiers' stories of the war in Vietnam
✓Fiction: The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, a collection of short stories declared by the author as fiction about soldiers in the Vietnam War, my review is here
✓NonFiction: Vietnam Medal of Honor Heroes by Edward F. Murphy, a collection of short stories that tell of the true life heroics of soldiers in the Vietnam War, my review is here

message 11: by Amanda (last edited Jun 27, 2017 03:17PM) (new)

Amanda | 526 comments I'm going to go for 1 pair/2 books.

1/1 | 2/2

Idiot Brain: What Your Head Is Really Up To
Still Alice

This has special meaning for me because I lost my mom to early-onset dementia a couple years ago. I've been meaning to read Still Alice for awhile now.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Hi all, I've been at our holiday home all weekend so I won't be able to add you all to the list of participants until tomorrow :)
Welcome to everyone though!

message 13: by Lindsay (last edited Jun 26, 2017 06:52AM) (new)

message 14: by Debra (last edited Jun 25, 2017 08:26PM) (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments I will join for 2 pairs please total of 4 books COMPLETED
1. A Killer Among Usnon-fiction
2. D is for Deadbeatfiction
Both books are about crime/murder

3. Sinful Cinderella Fiction
4. Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughternon-fiction
Both are about a girl being considered unworthy by stepmoms

message 15: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1033 comments Eirelyn wrote: "Janine, I saw your avatar & did a double-take because I thought for sure that that was my cat! XD"

How funny! Eirelyn your cat is adorable. Black and white cats are the best <3

message 16: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Janine wrote: "Eirelyn wrote: "Janine, I saw your avatar & did a double-take because I thought for sure that that was my cat! XD"

How funny! Eirelyn your cat is adorable. Black and white cats are the best <3"

All cats are the best :D Tabbies are great too ;-)

message 17: by Heather (last edited Jun 09, 2017 10:37AM) (new)

Heather (bigaitchc) Hi, I would like to join with 2 pairs, 4 books, no idea what yet!

Pair one (theme of bullying)
1. Before I Fall - all about high school bullies (fiction)
2. No Easy Answers: The Truth Behind Death at Columbine

Pair two: (theme of a new life in the sun)
1. The Reluctant Baker
2. Journey to a Dream

2/2 Pairs done
4//4 Books read

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Welcome everyone to the challenge! I'm so glad to have you all as part of this challenge!

All added. Good luck everyone!

message 19: by Kim. E. (new)

Kim. E. | 46 comments I would like to try this. Thinking about two books related to WWII, or related to traveling the world, or two versions of a children's book.

I'll set the goal to 2 sets for a total of 4 books.

message 20: by mango (new)

mango (love2read9) This challenge sounds so cool!!

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Kim. E. wrote: "I would like to try this. Thinking about two books related to WWII, or related to traveling the world, or two versions of a children's book.

I'll set the goal to 2 sets for a total of 4 books."

Welcome Kim! All three options sound really interesting. I'm sure there's plenty of great books to suit the topics.
You're on the list :)

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments xxMgalaxybooksxx wrote: "This challenge sounds so cool!!"

Would you like to join the list of participants? :)

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 91 comments I would like to join, still thinking about my pairs. (3) 6 books

message 24: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 734 comments I'm in for 1 pair
currently reading (won't finish until June) Unbroken A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand

and I'll find a fiction book to go along with it

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Welcome Stormie and Sharon!
Best of luck with your respective challenges :)

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 526 comments Kristin wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I'm going to go for 1 pair/2 books.

0/1 | 0/2

Still Alice

This has special meaning for me because I lost..."

Thanks, Kristin. Yeah, it's been difficult. We lost her way too young (she was only 65) but it would have been hard at any age. It will be interesting to learn more about the science behind it.

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) | 314 comments I'll do 1 pair/2 books

The topic that is in both books is human sacrifice.
Wolf in Shadow(fiction) and You Wouldn't Want to Be an Aztec Sacrifice!: Gruesome Things You'd Rather Not Know(non-fiction)

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Welcome Jennifer! You're added to the list :)

So many amazing books have been mentioned. Good luck everyone.

message 29: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikki_framke) | 274 comments I was a little late to join last month's challenge, so I would definitely like to join this one. Put me down for 2 pairs (4 books) please!

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Nikki wrote: "I was a little late to join last month's challenge, so I would definitely like to join this one. Put me down for 2 pairs (4 books) please!"

Welcome Nikki! You're on the list :)

message 31: by Greg (last edited Jun 04, 2017 08:06AM) (new)

Greg (lupercross) | 1513 comments OK, I will try this but only with two books. My two books will be The Blooding about a massive effort to find a serial killer in England and Lestrade and the Sawdust Ring about a Scotland Yard inspector trying to solve a murder in England.

message 32: by Mariela (new)

Mariela Penino (marieladuranw) | 10 comments Hi! Will you sign me up for 1 pair please? :)

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather (bigaitchc) Finished No Easy Answers: The Truth Behind Death at Columbine and Before I Fall

A pair of books linked by the theme of bullying. The factual book about Columbine is a tough read, but very well written.

1/2 pairs done
2/4 books done

message 34: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (immortalraine) | 284 comments I've got a pretty big backlog of books but I love the idea of this challenge so I'm going to commit to 1 pair/2 books. If I can manage more than that then it'll be a bonus :)

message 35: by Lisa (last edited Jun 05, 2017 11:07PM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Welcome Greg, Mariela and Meaghan!
Glad you're joining us :) Goodluck!

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Heather wrote: "Finished No Easy Answers: The Truth Behind Death at Columbine and Before I Fall

A pair of books linked by the theme of bullying. The factual book about Columbine is a ..."

Congratulations on your pair of books first, Heather!
I'm curious to see what the next two books will be :)

message 37: by Kim. E. (new)

Kim. E. | 46 comments Amanda wrote: "Kristin wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I'm going to go for 1 pair/2 books.

0/1 | 0/2

Still Alice

I lost my father exactly a year ago from the same thing. I keep wanting to read Still Alice, but each time I divert to something else. I look forward to what you think about these two books.
This has special meaning for m..."

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 526 comments Kim. E. wrote: "Amanda wrote:

Still Alice

I lost my father exactly a year ago from the same thing. I keep wanting to read Still Alice, but each time I divert to something else. I look forward to what you think about these two books."

It's the same for me--wanting to read it but I keep putting it off. I know it's going to hit too close to home. I'll let you know what I think. I'm sorry for your loss.

message 39: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1033 comments First pair complete. 1/2 pairs, 2/4 books.

Non-Fiction - Forensics: The Anatomy of Crime
Fiction - All the Good Things

The link is crime. The non-fiction book is all about forensics and how they catch criminals. The fiction book is about a woman in prison, recently convicted of a crime.

message 40: by Heather (last edited Jun 09, 2017 10:38AM) (new)

Heather (bigaitchc) That's me done
My second pair have the theme of a new life in the sun
1. Journey to a Dream
2. The Reluctant Baker

2/2 pairs done
4/4 books read
😁

message 41: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

message 42: by Rick (last edited Jun 10, 2017 07:43PM) (new)

Rick Folker | 5 comments The GirlsThe Rotters' Club

The Girls by Emma Cline and The Rotters Club by Jonathan Coe. Both books are classified as "coming of age" novels or: Bildungsroman in German

message 43: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1033 comments Second pair done! 2/2 pairs, 4/4 books.

Non-fiction: The Greatest Show on Earth: The History of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus
Fiction: Flight of a Starling

The link being the circus! The fiction book follows young members of a UK travelling circus, whilst the non-fiction book follows the beginnings of the Barnum + Bailey, and Ringling Bros circuses in the US. The non-fiction book was actually an accidental amazon lending library loan when looking for something else. It was very short, and needed a bit of editing, but actually had some fascinating info in it!

I've started a third pair but not sure whether I'll get there before the end of the month. I have a feeling the non-fiction is going to be a slow reader.

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Congratulations Heather and Janine on reaching your goal! :)
Welcome to the challenge, Rick and good luck to you :)

I hope you're all enjoying your books. Have a great week!

message 45: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

message 46: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 1034 comments I'll sign up for 1 pair!

I just finished Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda Janzen as my non-fiction book. I will read A Complicated Kindness next.

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Ilona wrote: "Update message 5:

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a Real Fake by Frank W. Abagnale

2/2

Thank..."

Thank you for participating, Ilona and congratulations on completing your challenge! :) Hope you enjoyed them both.

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Sam F wrote: "I'll sign up for 1 pair!

I just finished Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda Janzen as my non-fiction book. I will read A Complicate..."

Welcome Sam F! I've added you to the list :)

message 49: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 1034 comments Finished my last book -Fiction A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews based in Mennonited community.

Pairs with Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda Janzen

Great reads!

message 50: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikki_framke) | 274 comments Update message 33:

Finished first pair:
The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma (fiction)
The Killing Season by Alex French (non-fiction)

*Both books are about a main double murder with side information about other criminal activity, and about the latency of receiving justice and needing it no matter how long it takes.

« previous 1