2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > June - SUMMER CELEBRATIONS

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments JUNE CHALLENGE: SUMMER CELEBRATIONS
Duration: June 1, 2017 to June 30, 2017

Our theme for June is summer celebrations. Please join us in celebrating summer all around the world!

1. Naadam (Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia). A festival that involves three sports--Mongolian wrestling, horse racing, and archery--that was traditionally competed by men, but now includes women and girls for the latter two sports. Read a book that involves any of these sports or the breaking of gender barriers.

2. Tango Festival (Buenos Aires). A festival that includes the Tango Dance World Championship. Tango is believed to have originated in Argentina, and is listed on UNESCO's list of Intangible Cultural Heritage. Read a book about dancing, a world championship, or that takes place in Argentina.

3. Wife-Carrying World Championships (Sonkajarvi, Finland). Competitors carry their wives/partners on their back while completing an obstacle course. Winners receive a supply of beer equal to his wife's weight. Read a book that involves a couple overcoming obstacles together or a book about beer.

4. World Bodypainting Festival (Seeboden, Austria). People's bodies are the artist's canvases for this festival. Read a book about positive body image or artistic expression.

5. White Nights of Summer (St. Petersburg, Russia). A celebration of the sun-filled nights of summer, which involves special concerts, ballets, operas, festivals, and late-night hours at restaurants. Read a book that features a concert, ballet, or opera (or a performer of one of these musical arts).

6. Aomori Nebuta Matsuri Festival (Aomori, Japan). According to tradition, 'Nebuta' means 'being sleepy' and Aomori citizens originated this event to put away the drowsiness that plagued them on hot summer days. Read a book about sleep or sleepiness or the hot days of summer.

7. Golowan Festival (Cornwall, England). It’s a tradition to elect a Mock Mayor as part of the celebrations, and let him give a bunch of cheeky public speeches right in front of the real Mayor. Read a satire or a book that mocks someone.

8. Picnic Day (Northern Australia). A commemoration of the emancipation of Chinese railway workers and a celebration of cultural diversity and social progress. Read a book about emancipation, diversity, or fighting for rights.

9. Krishna Janmashtami (India). A celebration of the Hindu god, Krishna, in which participants work together to form a human pyramid with the aim of breaking a suspended pot of buttermilk, which symbolizes the spreading of good luck. Read a book in which people work together for the common good, or a book about luck.

10. Bloomsday (Dublin, Ireland). A celebration of the author James Joyce in which people dress in old-fashion clothing and read passages of Joyce's work. Read a book by James Joyce, or a book about an author.

This challenge was created and will be led by Kristin. Thank you Kristin!

message 2: by Maxine (last edited Jun 30, 2017 05:27AM) (new)

message 3: by Mie (last edited Jun 21, 2017 10:13AM) (new)

Mie | 1839 comments Hi, I will try for 4 :-)

COMPLETE ✔️
✅ 2. Når sandheden skal frem ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
✅ 3. Postern of Fate ⭐️⭐️⭐️
✅ 8. The Help ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
✅ 9. Divergent ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (lilsherry) | 699 comments I'm in for 3!

message 5: by Amanda (last edited Jun 29, 2017 12:59PM) (new)

Amanda | 526 comments I'm going to play it safe and just say 1 for now.

1/1

7. Golowan Festival (Cornwall, England). It’s a tradition to elect a Mock Mayor as part of the celebrations, and let him give a bunch of cheeky public speeches right in front of the real Mayor. Read a satire or a book that mocks someone. Animal Farm

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 161 comments I will aim for 3.

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 265 comments 4 please.

message 8: by Lindsay (last edited Jun 24, 2017 01:41PM) (new)

Lindsay | 1311 comments I will aim for 4 please :-)

1. Naadam (Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia). A festival that involves three sports--Mongolian wrestling, horse racing, and archery--that was traditionally competed by men, but now includes women and girls for the latter two sports. Read a book that involves any of these sports or the breaking of gender barriers.

2. Tango Festival (Buenos Aires). A festival that includes the Tango Dance World Championship. Tango is believed to have originated in Argentina, and is listed on UNESCO's list of Intangible Cultural Heritage. Read a book about dancing, a world championship, or that takes place in Argentina.

3. Wife-Carrying World Championships (Sonkajarvi, Finland). Competitors carry their wives/partners on their back while completing an obstacle course. Winners receive a supply of beer equal to his wife's weight. Read a book that involves a couple overcoming obstacles together or a book about beer.
The Best of Adam Sharp

4. World Bodypainting Festival (Seeboden, Austria). People's bodies are the artist's canvases for this festival. Read a book about positive body image or artistic expression.

5. White Nights of Summer (St. Petersburg, Russia). A celebration of the sun-filled nights of summer, which involves special concerts, ballets, operas, festivals, and late-night hours at restaurants. Read a book that features a concert, ballet, or opera (or a performer of one of these musical arts).

6. Aomori Nebuta Matsuri Festival (Aomori, Japan). According to tradition, 'Nebuta' means 'being sleepy' and Aomori citizens originated this event to put away the drowsiness that plagued them on hot summer days. Read a book about sleep or sleepiness or the hot days of summer.
The Summer Book

7. Golowan Festival (Cornwall, England). It’s a tradition to elect a Mock Mayor as part of the celebrations, and let him give a bunch of cheeky public speeches right in front of the real Mayor. Read a satire or a book that mocks someone.

8. Picnic Day (Northern Australia). A commemoration of the emancipation of Chinese railway workers and a celebration of cultural diversity and social progress. Read a book about emancipation, diversity, or fighting for rights.

9. Krishna Janmashtami (India). A celebration of the Hindu god, Krishna, in which participants work together to form a human pyramid with the aim of breaking a suspended pot of buttermilk, which symbolizes the spreading of good luck. Read a book in which people work together for the common good, or a book about luck.
The Hero of Ages

10. Bloomsday (Dublin, Ireland). A celebration of the author James Joyce in which people dress in old-fashion clothing and read passages of Joyce's work. Read a book by James Joyce, or a book about an author

3/4

message 9: by Rina (last edited Jun 24, 2017 03:16AM) (new)

Rina (rina_p) | 116 comments JUNE CHALLENGE: SUMMER CELEBRATIONS

Progress: 6/5

======================================================

1. Read a book that involves any of these sports or the breaking of gender barriers
--- Cinder by Marissa Meyer - read: 7 Jun 17
Cinder is not like any other expert mechanic, as she is female and a cyborg.

3. Read a book that involves a couple overcoming obstacles together or a book about beer.
--- We Were On a Break by Lindsey Kelk - read: 15 Jun 17
Instead of getting engaged, Liv and Adam feel they need a break from each other. Or do they? Surely they'll get back together. Or will they?

6. Read a book about sleep or sleepiness or the hot days of summer.
--- Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovich - read: 24 Jun 17
Peter Grant goes to countryside to investigate two girls who have gone missing during one hot summer. This time, Beverly, the goddess of a small river south of London is joining the adventure.

8. Read a book about emancipation, diversity, or fighting for rights.
--- Scarlet by Marissa Meyer - read: 12 Jun 17
Scarlet is a farm girl living outside Paris, looking for her Grandmother's kidnappers. Cinder breaks free from her captives and tries to find the next clue of events connected to her past.
Both stumble into each other and together fight for Earthen's freedom rights with impending war declaration from Lunars.

9. Read a book in which people work together for the common good, or a book about luck.
--- The Job by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg - read: 4 Jun 17
In this book, FBI Agent Kate O'Hare has to work together once again with International Con Man Nick Fox to bring down a Drug Cartel boss. Their crew includes a bunch of eccentric people, including a wannabe actor, a talented craftman, a daredevil woman, and a retired FBI agent.

10. Read a book by James Joyce, or a book about an author.
--- Written for You by Joseph Cognard - read: 24 Jun 17
This is a dark comedic play about Bob, a wannabe author who tries to get his book read by family and friends.

message 10: by Lunar (last edited Jun 13, 2017 10:27AM) (new)

Lunar (pijjakibibi) | 4 comments I will aim for 3!

1/3
The Help complete.

message 11: by Kim. E. (new)

Kim. E. | 46 comments JUNE CHALLENGE: SUMMER CELEBRATIONS
Goal: 5/10

Our theme for June is summer celebrations. Please join us in celebrating summer all around the world!

10. Bloomsday (Dublin, Ireland). A celebration of the author James Joyce in which people dress in old-fashion clothing and read passages of Joyce's work. Read a book by James Joyce, or a book about an author.

This challenge was created and will be led by Kristin. Thank you Kristin!

message 12: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments I'm going to sign up for.... 2. I can't think of any books I'm planning for June fitting any of these topics, but I'm sure I'll stumble across a couple! (hopefully lol)

message 13: by Debra (last edited Jun 24, 2017 10:36PM) (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments I'll sign up for 4:

#5 The Ballerina
#6 My Sister's Keeper
#7 The Diary of a Nobody
#10 Dubliners
Completed

message 14: by Sam F (last edited Jun 27, 2017 05:29PM) (new)

Sam F | 1034 comments I will try to read 3 this month!

3. Wife-Carrying World Championships (Sonkajarvi, Finland). Competitors carry their wives/partners on their back while completing an obstacle course. Winners receive a supply of beer equal to his wife's weight. Read a book that involves a couple overcoming obstacles together - Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty

5. White Nights of Summer (St. Petersburg, Russia). A celebration of the sun-filled nights of summer, which involves special concerts, ballets, operas, festivals, and late-night hours at restaurants. Read a book that features a concert, ballet, or opera (or a performer of one of these musical arts). - The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan

6. Aomori Nebuta Matsuri Festival (Aomori, Japan). According to tradition, 'Nebuta' means 'being sleepy' and Aomori citizens originated this event to put away the drowsiness that plagued them on hot summer days. Read a book about sleep or sleepiness or the hot days of summer. Daniel by Henning Mankell

7. Golowan Festival (Cornwall, England). It’s a tradition to elect a Mock Mayor as part of the celebrations, and let him give a bunch of cheeky public speeches right in front of the real Mayor. Read a satire or a book that mocks someone. - The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery

9. Krishna Janmashtami (India). A celebration of the Hindu god, Krishna, in which participants work together to form a human pyramid with the aim of breaking a suspended pot of buttermilk, which symbolizes the spreading of good luck. Read a book in which people work together for the common good, or a book about luck. - Spider Bones by Kathy Reichs - book focus on JPAC - the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command which is a group of people who work together to find and bring home the remains of American soldiers missing in action overseas.

message 15: by Cindy III (last edited Jun 07, 2017 01:18AM) (new)

Cindy III | 274 comments I am in for 1

JUNE CHALLENGE: SUMMER CELEBRATIONS

5. White Nights of Summer (St. Petersburg, Russia). A celebration of the sun-filled nights of summer, which involves special concerts, ballets, operas, festivals, and late-night hours at restaurants. Read a book that features a concert, ballet, or opera (or a performer of one of these musical arts). Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad

8. Picnic Day (Northern Australia). A commemoration of the emancipation of Chinese railway workers and a celebration of cultural diversity and social progress. Read a book about emancipation, diversity, or fighting for rights. Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom: My Story of the Selma Voting Rights March or Emancipation Proclamation: Lincoln and the Dawn of Liberty

Symphony for the City of the Dead Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad by M.T. Anderson

message 16: by Amber (new)

Amber (alvoyles79) Hello everyone! I am new to the group which obviously makes me new to the challenges as well. I would very much live to join the June challenge but I have a couple of questions. I am sorry if this is not the right place to post. This is the first group I have joined and I am not familiar with the lay of the land yet so please forgive me if I am doing this all wrong and please by all means let me know. So, out of the 10 challenges, we can choose any of them and it doesn't have to be in any order is kind of what I am getting here. Is that correct? Also, when we do complete one out of the ten, do we just put the name and author of the book or kind of tell a little about the book and why you think it was a good book to pick? Thanks in advance for your help I am going to wait to post the number of books for my challenge until I know a little more about it
Amber

message 17: by Megan, Challenges (last edited Jun 30, 2017 12:16PM) (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6239 comments I'm in for 5 books!

1. Naadam (Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia). - It's Classified by Nicolle Wallace - completed

2. Tango Festival (Buenos Aires).

3. Wife-Carrying World Championships (Sonkajarvi, Finland). - Yellow Brick War by Danielle Paige - completed

4. World Bodypainting Festival (Seeboden, Austria). - The Wish Granter by C.J. Redwine - completed

5. White Nights of Summer (St. Petersburg, Russia).

6. Aomori Nebuta Matsuri Festival (Aomori, Japan). - Island Girls by Nancy Thayer - completed

7. Golowan Festival (Cornwall, England). - I'll See You in Paris by Michelle Gable - completed

8. Picnic Day (Northern Australia). - The Wicked Will Rise by Danielle Paige - completed

9. Krishna Janmashtami (India). - An Irish Country Christmas by Patrick Taylor - completed

10. Bloomsday (Dublin, Ireland). - The Midnight Watch: A Novel of the Titanic and the Californian by David Dyer - completed

8/5 - challenge completed!!!

message 18: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1839 comments Update msg 5: 1/4
✅ 2. Når sandheden skal frem ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 19: by Lynette (new)

Lynette Caulkins | 123 comments I'll try for 4 :)

message 20: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6239 comments Just completed #9 (coming together for common good) - An Irish Country Christmas by Patrick Taylor. I'm going to take a break from this series. The book is repetitive within the story and between the books. An editor would have helped chop some of that down. Still enjoyable. 3 stars

1/5

message 21: by Rachel (last edited Jul 01, 2017 10:29AM) (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 161 comments 1. Naadam (Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia). Read a book that involves any of these sports or the breaking of gender barriers. - Tarzan of the Apes. It has archery in it, but for hunting not just for sport.

2. Tango Festival (Buenos Aires). Read a book about dancing, a world championship, or that takes place in Argentina.

3. Wife-Carrying World Championships (Sonkajarvi, Finland). Read a book that involves a couple overcoming obstacles together or a book about beer. - Unravel Me. May be a bit debatable, but this book includes couples trying to overcome obstacles to be together (with varying degrees of success).

4. World Bodypainting Festival (Seeboden, Austria). Read a book about positive body image or artistic expression. - Say What You Will. The main character has cerebral palsy but has a very positive view of herself/her life, and she also writes a play.

5. White Nights of Summer (St. Petersburg, Russia).Read a book that features a concert, ballet, or opera (or a performer of one of these musical arts). - In Real Life. Finished this last night, and it involves a couple of concerts/music performances.

6. Aomori Nebuta Matsuri Festival (Aomori, Japan). Read a book about sleep or sleepiness or the hot days of summer. - This One Summer

7. Golowan Festival (Cornwall, England). Read a satire or a book that mocks someone. - The Rest of Us Just Live Here, a satire of the typical "chosen one" story following the lives of others living in that world without any special powers

8. Picnic Day (Northern Australia). Read a book about emancipation, diversity, or fighting for rights. - American Born Chinese. A graphic novel that includes some exploration of racism, Chinese stereotypes, and diversity in the sense of accepting yourself and your culture in after immigrating to a new place.

9. Krishna Janmashtami (India). Read a book in which people work together for the common good, or a book about luck. - Cress

10. Bloomsday (Dublin, Ireland) Read a book by James Joyce, or a book about an author. - The Woman in Cabin 10. The main character is a journalist.

message 22: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Green | 41 comments JUNE Reading Challenge
Goal: 3/10
Completed: 0/3
I'll give it a shot this month.........

message 23: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6239 comments Just completed #8 (fighting for rights) - The Wicked Will Rise by Danielle Paige. While I am still overall enjoying this little fantasy trip, the book was confusing in some of its plot points. I feel like details are getting muddled. I'll continue with the series, but so far it's not my favorite. 3.5 stars

2/5

message 24: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (immortalraine) | 284 comments I'm in for 2 please

message 25: by Izzy (new)

Izzy | 28 comments I'm in for 4! Thanks

message 26: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6239 comments Just finished #3 (couple overcoming obstacles together) - Yellow Brick War by Danielle Paige. Still enjoyable, fantasy read. However, there were holes in her story and a few times where it seemed like she was writing so quickly that she left out bits that she meant to include. It just ruins the flow of the story. Still worth reading. 3.5 stars

3/5

message 27: by Izzy (new)

Izzy | 28 comments Just finished #5 (Features a concert)- Echo by Pam Muñoz Ryan
And #8 (Diversity, emancipation, and fighting for rights)- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Rose | 258 comments I'd like to give this a go please. I'll try 2

message 29: by Izzy (new)

Izzy | 28 comments Just completed #9 (A bunch of people work together to start a rebellion)- A Face Like Glass by Frances Hardinge

message 30: by Izzy (last edited Jun 12, 2017 05:41AM) (new)

Izzy | 28 comments Just completed #6 (A book about summer)- Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson And thank you Kristin!

message 31: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6239 comments Just completed #10 (book about author) - The Midnight Watch: A Novel of the Titanic and the Californian by David Dyer. I'm disappointed in this book. One would think that a book starting with the sinking of the Titanic would not be boring, but this author managed to do that. It got a lot more interesting in the middle, then it all slowed way down again. And it ended in a very dissatisfying manner. Not worth it. 2.5 stars

4/5

message 32: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1839 comments Update msg 5: 2/4
✅ 8. The Help ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 33: by Lunar (new)

Lunar (pijjakibibi) | 4 comments 1/3
8. The Help

message 34: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6239 comments Just completed #4 (positive body image) - The Wish Granter by C.J. Redwine. Really entertaining read! I love Redwine's reimagined fairytales! And I especially love her female heroes - no simpering, sleepy damsels in this book! My only complaint was the book was a touch slow and confusing at the start. Definitely worth reading! 4 stars

5/5 - challenge completed!

message 35: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (lilsherry) | 699 comments 3/3 Completed ✔

1. Naadam (Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia)- Read a book that involves any of these sports or the breaking of gender barriers.
A Twist in Time (Kendra Donovan #2) by Julie McElwain [Read 6/14/2017]

3. Wife-Carrying World Championships (Sonkajarvi, Finland)-Read a book that involves a couple overcoming obstacles together or a book about beer.
Waterfall (Teardrop #2) by Lauren Kate [Read 6/8/2017]

7. Golowan Festival (Cornwall, England)- Read a satire or a book that mocks someone.
Red Rising (Red Rising #1) by Pierce Brown [Read 6/12/2017]

message 36: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6239 comments Just completed #6 (hot days of summer) - Island Girls by Nancy Thayer. Entertaining, light and frothy beach read. Nice characters with some depth to them. Story is not too complicated, but it's interesting. Worth reading! 4 stars

6/5

message 37: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1839 comments Update msg 5: 3/4
✅ 9: Divergent ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 38: by Sam F (last edited Jun 16, 2017 05:27PM) (new)

Sam F | 1034 comments Update Message 23

3 completed!

message 39: by Rina (new)

Rina (rina_p) | 116 comments Update to msg 14:
Progress: 4/5

message 40: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1839 comments Update msg 5: 4/4 - COMPLETE ✔️
✅ 3. Postern of Fate ⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 41: by Rina (new)

Rina (rina_p) | 116 comments Rina wrote: "JUNE CHALLENGE: SUMMER CELEBRATIONS

Progress: 5/5

======================================================

1. Read a book that involves any of these sports ..."

Update to message 14:
Progress: 5/5 (Done!)

message 42: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments updated msg 20 completed

message 43: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6239 comments Just completed #7 (mocks someone) - I'll See You in Paris by Michelle Gable. Overall, I enjoyed this book. It was a good beach read. However, I felt the writing was a bit oddly paced, and the plot dawdled. It picked up towards the end, but I'm glad I read this book on vacation. I received this book as a giveaway in exchange for my honest review. Worth reading. 3.5 stars

7/5

message 44: by Lynette (new)

Lynette Caulkins | 123 comments Whoop! Whoop! I actually exceeded my goal by one book. My current read would probably work for #3, but it's almost 900 pages and definitely won't be finished before end-of-quarter.

JUNE CHALLENGE: SUMMER CELEBRATIONS

Goal: 5/4

1. Naadam (Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia). A festival that involves three sports--Mongolian wrestling, horse racing, and archery--that was traditionally competed by men, but now includes women and girls for the latter two sports. Read a book that involves any of these sports or the breaking of gender barriers. Robyn Hood: Outlaw Princess, This book gives you the sport of archery as well as a huge bend of the gender barrier.

4. World Bodypainting Festival (Seeboden, Austria). People's bodies are the artist's canvases for this festival. Read a book about positive body image or artistic expression. Where Am I Now? Mara Wilson, the adult who was the child-actress in "Mathilda," discusses her experience with body image and coming to terms with not wanting to act in movies, but finding herself with redirected artistic expression in comedy.

7. Golowan Festival (Cornwall, England). It’s a tradition to elect a Mock Mayor as part of the celebrations, and let him give a bunch of cheeky public speeches right in front of the real Mayor. Read a satire or a book that mocks someone. Where'd You Go, Bernadette, Bernadette constantly mocks the "gnats" that annoy her (stereotypical suburban mothers of the children in her daughter's school).

8. Picnic Day (Northern Australia). A commemoration of the emancipation of Chinese railway workers and a celebration of cultural diversity and social progress. Read a book about emancipation, diversity, or fighting for rights. The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy, dealing with the "Saints" looking for religious freedom, and others looking for emancipation from an unfair king and the crippling effects of poverty in an unfair society, this book also serves the purpose of diversity by presenting a much more balanced picture of the Native Americans and the state of the land and civilization that already existed when the Pilgrims arrived.

10. Bloomsday (Dublin, Ireland). A celebration of the author James Joyce in which people dress in old-fashion clothing and read passages of Joyce's work. Read a book by James Joyce, or a book about an author. The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon, largely about a missing explorer and people searching for him through the years, this is also about his son, who authored a book about him, and also autobiographical about Grann's involvement.

message 45: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 526 comments updated message 9

1/1--Finished!

7. Golowan Festival (Cornwall, England). It’s a tradition to elect a Mock Mayor as part of the celebrations, and let him give a bunch of cheeky public speeches right in front of the real Mayor. Read a satire or a book that mocks someone. Animal Farm

message 46: by Maxine (new)

Maxine Robinson Update msg 3

3/3 Completed

Thank you

message 47: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6239 comments Just completed #1 (breaking gender barriers) - It's Classified by Nicholle Wallace. This book was entertaining, and there were definitely shades of Sarah Palin in the VP character. I enjoyed all of the intrigue, but I did feel there were a few gaps in the story. Worth reading! 3.5 stars

8/5