The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 30.12 - Wayne's Task: Canada 150!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 17, 2017 03:02PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4533 comments Mod
30.12 - Wayne's Task: Canada 150!

On July 1st, we Canadians will be celebrating the 150th anniversary of the founding of our great country! You can help us celebrate by completing 2 of the following options. Because this will be a huge celebration, the total page count for the two options must be at least 600 pages.

Option 1: Another term for a 150th anniversity is sesquicentennial. Read a book by an author whose first, last, and any middle initials are found in the word SESQUICENTENNIAL. Letters may only be used as often as they appear in the word.

Option 2: The Ottawa celebration will be hosted by our Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau. His father, Pierre Trudeau, narrowly missed hosting the centennial party, as he didn't become PM until April of 1968 (he was the Justice Minister in 1967, however). To honor the Trudeau family, read a book from one of these lists about family relationships:
Best Books About Family Relationships.
Best Family Sagas.

Option 3: My library, the Calgary Public Library, is challenging its patrons to read 150 books this year. Ha! This is nothing to us hardened SRCers! They are also encouraging us to read more Canadian books. For this option, read a book that a) you checked out from a library and b) is set at least 50% in Canada.
REQUIRED: state in your post that this book was checked out from the library. If the setting is not evident on the book's main page include a reference or quote from the book when you post.

Option 4: One of my favorite Canada Day activities, but which I will be especially looking forward to participating in this year, is the Living Flag picture. People either stand in the red part of the flag wearing a red shirt or in a white part of the flag wearing a white shirt (T-shirts are supplied for the first 3000 arrivals). Once everyone is set up, a photographer takes an aerial photo of us happy, cheering Canadians. Then, the picture appears in the local newspapers the following day! I can honestly say I've been on the front page of both our papers!

Read a book with a cover that is at least 50% red/white. Both red and white MUST appear on the cover, however, it does not matter how much is red and how much is white, as long as the total is 50%. REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post

Happy Canada Day everyone!

message 2: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4533 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 3: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Happy Canada Day, Wayne!

For red and white, do any of these work?

The Empathy Exams Essays by Leslie Jamison Mister Monkey by Francine Prose The Power by Naomi Alderman

message 4: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Do any of these work for red and white
Hellworld by Tom Leveen Agent of Chaos (The X-Files Origins, #1) by Kami Garcia Spellslinger (Spellslinger #1) by Sebastien de Castell The Love Interest by Cale Dietrich Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I figure this works but thought I'd be sure since color tasks can be subjective:
We Should Hang Out Sometime Embarrassingly, a True Story by Josh Sundquist

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Does this cover work for red and white?

You (You #1) by Caroline Kepnes

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1508 comments Is this one OK? The Watcher (Bigler County #1) by Jo Robertson

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim | 640 comments For option four, will these work?

The Redbreast (Harry Hole, #3) by Jo Nesbø

The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani

Thank you.

message 9: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3878 comments Wayne wrote: "Books that will not work:

The Illumination by Kevin Brockmeier (no red)How to Set a Fire and Why by Jesse Ball (no white)Kill the Father by Sandrone Dazieri (red + white < 50%)"

How to Set a Fire and Why by Jesse Ball (no white) - aren't the hand and lettering white?

message 10: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3878 comments Option 4 possibles: Dark Rivers of the Heart by Dean Koontz , Kisscut (Grant County, #2) by Karin Slaughter , The Ice Princess (Patrik Hedström, #1) by Camilla Läckberg , The Cold Moon (Lincoln Rhyme, #7) by Jeffery Deaver , 44 Scotland Street (44 Scotland Street, #1) by Alexander McCall Smith , The Shadow Tracer by Meg Gardiner , Blood Brothers (Sign of Seven, #1) by Nora Roberts , and Mercy by Echo Heron

message 11: by Pia (last edited May 27, 2017 12:37AM) (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Will any of these covers work? Thanks

The Good Kind of Bad by Rita Brassington

Hell's Gate by Laurent Gaudé

In weißer Stille (Kommissar Dühnfort, #2) by Inge Löhnig

The Missing Ones (Detective Lottie Parker, #1) by Patricia Gibney

The Other La Bohème by Yorker Keith

message 12: by Shannon (last edited May 26, 2017 11:46PM) (new)

Shannon Will any of these covers work? Thank you.

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Mourning Ruby by Helen Dunmore

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba

message 13: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Is this okay for a red and white cover, please? I'm pretty sure the background is red with white text, but just wanted to be sure. Thank you!

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

message 14: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 795 comments Will these covers work:
When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6) by Julia Quinn
She Tempts the Duke (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #1) by Lorraine Heath
Mudbound by Hillary Jordan
The Sword Of The Templars (Templar, #1) by Paul Christopher

message 15: by Shree (new)

Shree | 120 comments His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik

White on this cover or am I reaching?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments For option 2 Family Sagas on page 2 The Bonesetter's Daughter

For option 3 set in Canada When Calls the Heart

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Wayne wrote: "Nicole wrote: "I figure this works but thought I'd be sure since color tasks can be subjective:
We Should Hang Out Sometime Embarrassingly, a True Story by Josh Sundquist"

I know. I once neede..."

Yay! Thanks.

message 18: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Wayne wrote: "Pia wrote: "Will any of these covers work? Thanks

The Good Kind of Bad by Rita Brassington

Hell's Gate by Laurent Gaudé

In weißer Stille (Kommissar Dühnfort, #2) by Inge Löhnig

[bookcover:The Missing Ones|335..."

Thanks!
I'll choose between 2-3-4

message 19: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3878 comments Wayne wrote: "As for your choices, I'd say they all work!

Thanks. I will read Blood Brothers (Sign of Seven, #1) by Nora Roberts

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily | 655 comments Since I would have thought How to Set a Fire and Why was red and white, I suppose I should get my book checked...

Would you consider The Gene An Intimate History by Siddhartha Mukherjee to be red and white?

message 21: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3655 comments Option 3 - set in Canada
Elephant Winter

THIS REVIEW contains this phrase: "...in a southern Ontario safari tourist attraction..."

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan | 670 comments Headhunters by Jo Nesbø
Does this work for red & white option?

message 23: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Wayne wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Will any of these covers work? Thank you.

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Mourning Ruby by Helen Dunmore

[bookcover:The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind|6929..."

Great, thank you!

message 24: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3655 comments Wayne wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Option 3 - set in Canada
Elephant Winter

THIS REVIEW contains this phrase: "...in a southern Ontario safari tourist attraction...""

I had a look at the Publi..."

Thanks for that additional check, Wayne. I'll definitely verify on reading.

message 25: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 990 comments Would this work for option 4?
Blood of the Dark Moon by Adrianne Brennan

message 26: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 260 comments Sweet Ruin (Immortals After Dark, #16) by Kresley Cole - Enough red and white for option 4?

message 27: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10897 comments Mod
Would either of these work for Option 4?

Teaching the Cat to Sit A Memoir by Michelle Theall Backlash The Undeclared War Against American Women by Susan Faludi

message 28: by frugalitymom (new)

frugalitymom  (frugalitymom) | 28 comments Would this work A Vote for Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #22) by Jessica Fletcher

message 29: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments The white is very faint, but The Vegetarian by Han Kang works, right?

message 30: by Trish (last edited May 31, 2017 04:28AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2464 comments Would this work for Option 4? Albeit that it's a kindle edition, and there doesn't seem to be a paperback with the same cover.
Shards of Honour (Vorkosigan Saga, #1) by Lois McMaster Bujold

message 31: by Marscha (new)

Marscha (mysterymb) | 416 comments With the girl's red hair, does The One (The Selection, #3) by Kiera Cass work?

message 32: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Will this work for option 4, red and white cover?
Moonglow by Michael Chabon

message 33: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2464 comments Wayne wrote: "As long as you actually read the Kindle version, it would be OK. There would only be a problem if there were no print edition you could use to determine page numbers. ..."

Cheers, Wayne.

message 34: by frugalitymom (new)

frugalitymom  (frugalitymom) | 28 comments Wayne wrote: "frugalitymom wrote: "Would this work A Vote for Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #22) by Jessica Fletcher"

The top half of the cover is almost all red/white and there's enough on the bottom half to push it over the top, so yes, ..."

Thank you!

message 35: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Wayne wrote: "Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "Will this work for option 4, red and white cover?
Moonglow by Michael Chabon"

I almost used this as one of my examples of books that works, but then I decided I h..."

Thanks, Wayne.

message 36: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Is this okay for a red and white cover, please? I'm pretty sure the background is red with white text, but just wanted to be sure. Thank you!

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

message 37: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Thank you! This has been on my TBR ages so I'm very pleased to be able to read it for this challenge. :-)

message 38: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Would either of these work

The Devil and Webster by Jean Hanff Korelitz

or

Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #1) by Mark Lawrence

It is hard to see the red in this one, it is about 50% white, at the top and the letters, and there are streaks of red covering about 10%

message 39: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Thanks Wayne!

message 40: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments One additional question for Wayne and/or mods - Option 1, if a book has more than one author, do both authors' initials have to be in SESQUICENTENNIAL?

message 41: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 825 comments Just confirming Tricky Twenty-Two (Stephanie Plum, #22) by Janet Evanovich will work for option 4.

message 42: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 825 comments Great. Thanks, Wayne!

message 43: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1259 comments Will this work for option 4? Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins

message 44: by Diane (last edited Jul 01, 2017 08:50PM) (new)

Diane | 742 comments Will either of these work for option 4? I checked out the first from the library, but they also have the 2nd:

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston Their Eyes Were Watching God (Virago Modern Classics) by Zora Neale Hurston

message 45: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3655 comments Does this work for RED & WHITE
Final Jeopardy (Alexandra Cooper, #1) by Linda Fairstein

message 46: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7545 comments Wayne - just wanted to say I was in your country briefly last weekend and said happy 150th ;)

message 47: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments For checking a book out from the library, does that mean we need to check a physical book out from a physical location, or can we check a digital book out online?

message 48: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments And I was looking to verify that this works for red and white 1222 (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #8) by Anne Holt

message 49: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Hi, just wondering about the 2 questions I asked. For the library question, I use my library card to check out the ebooks if that makes a difference.

message 50: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Aug 09, 2017 11:37AM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Thanks. :)

« previous 1