The Challenge Factory discussion

♦TCF Monopoly World Ed Archives♦ > World Edition Monopoly - Tiffany, Stormie and Lanelle

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Sep 25, 2018 05:09PM) (new)

Lanelle | 14247 comments Mod
description

The winner of the game will be whoever has collected the most stamps in their passport. The game will end once all of the stamps are collected or whenever the players decide to end it. There is no time restriction on this game.

roll two dice

Monopoly Rules
• One person volunteers to track which cities' stamps have been collected.
• Each player starts at GO, moving around the board clockwise.
• You do not need to wait for the other player(s) to finish reading before you take your next turn. As soon as you're done reading, go ahead and roll.
• All books must be 150 pages, except the 'Just Visiting' requirement.
• When you land on a city, read 1 book (or the 2 optional books) to get the passport stamp.
• If you land on a city whose passport stamp has already been collected, read 1 book related to that space.
• When you roll, post your starting spot, the roll, and your new spot on the board.
• When you finish your book, post the spot you're on, book name, rating, when it was finished, and a short review of the book. If you were supposed to read a book that had a specific element, mention that in the review.

'Chance' and 'Here & Now' – If you land on one of those spots, roll the dice a second time, “pull” the corresponding card, and then do whatever the card says.

Chance
2. Get an upgrade - move to the nearest Airport
3. You were framed! - go to Jail
4. Snag a free taxi ride - read a book with a vehicle on the cover
5. Buy a souvenir - read a book that you purchased
6. Take an unexpected tour - read a book that another player chooses from your TBR list
7. You get the window seat! - read a book with a window on the cover
8. You are lost! - roll again and move that number of spaces
9. Take a classic car tour - advance to GO
10. There is a mix-up with your reservation - read a book from your TBR list
11. Get bumped to the next available flight - move backwards three spaces
12. Come in 2nd in a travel photo contest - read the second book in a series/trilogy

Here & Now
2. Discover a great little café - read a book where the main character cooks or bakes
3. You have travel insurance - read a book where the main character is in an accident
4. Pick up the wrong luggage at the airport - read a book where a lot of travel is involved
5. Take a helicopter tour - move to the nearest First Class spot
6. Book early and save - read a book written in the 1800's or 1900's
7. Score last minutes seats - move to the Free Parking Spot
8. Snowstorm grounds all flights! - read a book set in the wintertime
9. Score the last sun lounger at the pool - read a book with water on the cover
10. Photo-bomb someone! - read a book associated with another player's current spot
11. Cut to the front of the line - move forward 3 spaces
12. The embassy comes to the rescue - read a book where the main character saves someone

Other spaces on the board
Go – Read the 1st book in a trilogy or series
First Class - read any book set in a different country than your own
Just Visiting – Read a novella with at least 50 pages
Jail – To get out of jail, read a book with a serious crime in it
Free Parking – Read any book with 150 pages or more
Berlin Airport – read a book where the main character's name starts with 'B'
Henri Coanda Airport – read a book where the main character's name starts with 'H'

message 2: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Feb 21, 2018 08:50AM) (new)

To be 'set' in a country, the main character needs to be there for at least 1/3 of the book. Because it might be difficult to find a book set in some of these countries,
you have the option to read 2 books inspired by the city itself.

Passport Stamps to Collect
Madrid - read a book set in Spain -or-
read 2 books where the main character is an artist
Giethoorn - read a book set in The Netherlands -or-
read 2 books with legs on the cover
Taipei - read a book set in Taiwan -or-
read 2 books set on an island
Cape Town - read a book set in South Africa -or-
read 2 books where the main character moves to a new place
collected by Lanelle
Queenstown - read a book set in New Zealand -or-
read 2 books that were made into movies
collected by Lanelle
Sydney - read a book set in Australia -or-
read 2 murder mystery books
collected by Lanelle
Amsterdam - read a book set in The Netherlands -or-
read 2 books with jewelry on the cover
New York - read a book set in the United States -or-
read 2 books from a series that has at least 5 books
collected by Lanelle
Tokyo - read a book set in Japan -or-
read 2 books where the mc owns their own business
collected by Stormie
Moscow - read a book set in Russia -or-
read 2 books set north of where you live
collected by Tiffany
London - read a book set in England -or-
read 2 books where the main character goes on vacation
collected by Stormie
Belgrade - read a book set in Serbia -or-
read 2 books with mostly white covers
collected by Tiffany
Athens - read a book set in Greece -or-
read 2 books that were first published at least 30 years ago
collected by Lanelle
Belfast - read a book set in Ireland -or-
read 2 books where the mc travels by ship/boat
collected by Tiffany
Santiago - read a book set in Chile -or-
read 2 books with mountains on the cover
collected by Tiffany
Mexico City - read a book set in Mexico -or-
read 2 books where the main character is wealthy
collected by Lanelle
Warsaw - read a book set in Poland -or-
read 2 books where the mc heals from an accident
collected by Lanelle
Istanbul - read a book set in Turkey -or-
read 2 books that has been published with a different title
collected by Tiffany
Lisbon - read a book set in Portugal -or-
read 2 books set during the summertime
collected by Stormie
Riga - read a book set in Latvia -or-
read 2 books by new-to-you authors
collected by Lanelle
Hong Kong - read a book set in Hong Kong -or-
read 2 standalone books
collected by Lanelle
Lima - read a book set in Peru -or-
read 2 books where the mc attends college/university
collected by Lanelle

message 3: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Start: GO
I rolled an 11
Landed on: Sydney - read a book set in Australia

I'm going to read The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group.

message 4: by Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (last edited May 30, 2017 03:00PM) (new)

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 86 comments Start: Go
Roll:10
Landed on: Jail: Just Visiting - read a novella with at least 50 pages.
The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling
I can find another if this doesn't count

message 5: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ wrote: "Start: Go
Roll:10
Landed on: Jail: Just Visiting - read a novella with at least 50 pages.
The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling
I can find another if this doe..."

Looks good to me. Is your puppy okay?

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 86 comments He is a little better, but I wasn't able to get him to the vet yet, thanks for asking. :)

message 7: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Jun 10, 2017 08:13AM) (new)

I finished reading the book for Australia. It wasn't quite as good as book one of the duology, but I enjoyed it. I have collected Australia's stamp in my passport.

Start: Sydney
I rolled a 12
Landed on: Athens - read 2 books that were first published at least 30 years ago

I'm going to read This Rough Magic by Mary Stewart
I just can't seem to get interested in reading This Rough magic.
I'm going for the 2 optional books instead:
The House by the Lock by C.N. Williamson pub. 1906 6/10/17 ****
and
The Yellow Feather Mystery by Franklin W. Dixon pub. 1954 6/5/17 **

message 8: by Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (last edited Jun 06, 2017 04:05PM) (new)

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 86 comments Finished reading The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling for Jail: Just Visiting. I started and finished it today. I enjoyed the book as I love all things related to Harry Potter. I found the Tales and Dumbledore's comments fascinating. I gave it five stars, but haven't done a GR review yet.

Start: Jail: Just Visiting
Roll: 6
Landed on: Tokyo

I think I may have found a book on Japan, I will have to read it to find out if it qualifies. If not, I have another on hold at the library. The book is Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan by Bill O'Reilly

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 86 comments Sorry, I have not been on in a while, I lost my little Pug Boy Frankie Don. I did take him to the vet on Friday and they told me he had AutoImmune Hemolytic Anemia and there was nothing they could do for him. He passed Monday morning at 1:40 am. I am so devastated and there is a hole in my heart, but I am slowly getting back to my reading. I need to heal and I need to grieve. So anyway, I am back on.

message 10: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2017 06:32AM) (new)

Oh, Stormie. I'm so sorry. It's tough losing a family member like that. All my best wishes to you.

message 11: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Jun 16, 2017 09:38AM) (new)

I finished my two optional books for Athens. The House by the Lock is a favorite of mine. The Hardy Boys book was terrible. I've collected the Athens stamp.

Start: Athens
rolled a six
Landed on: Warsaw or 2 books where the mc heals from an accident

I'm going to read the optional choice.
To Die For 6/14/17 ***
Lavender Lady 6/16/17 ***

message 12: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 183 comments Start: Go, I rolled a 5 which put me on a Here & Now. Rolled again, rolled a 10 which also put me on Here & Now. I'll be back with my choice.

message 13: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Jun 10, 2017 12:10PM) (new)

Tiffany, when you landed on Here & Now the first time, you should have rolled to see which 'card' you pulled. Using your second roll of 10, you would have gotten the 10. Photo-bomb someone! - read a book associated with another player's current spot card.

Look in the first post of this game for the Here & Now and Chance cards.

message 14: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 183 comments Oh I just had to reroll. So I just pick a book from one of y'alls spots? Thank God I'm having a devil of a time finding a book!! LOL

message 15: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Tiffany wrote: "Oh I just had to reroll. So I just pick a book from one of y'alls spots? Thank God I'm having a devil of a time finding a book!! LOL"

Hopefully you have an easier time with Tokyo, Warsaw or one their options :)

message 16: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 183 comments Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ wrote: "Sorry, I have not been on in a while, I lost my little Pug Boy Frankie Don. I did take him to the vet on Friday and they told me he had AutoImmune Hemolytic Anemia and there was nothing they could ..."

I'm so very sorry :(

message 17: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 183 comments And the books have to be started today right?

message 18: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Tiffany wrote: "And the books have to be started today right?"

Right. The book is started after you've rolled for the task.

message 19: by Tiffany (last edited Jun 10, 2017 12:10PM) (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 183 comments I think I've found one. I choose a book set in Poland.
The Other Girl

message 20: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Tiffany wrote: "I think I've found one. I choose a book set in Poland.
The Kommandant's Girl"

I'm thinking about reading The Trumpeter of Krakow for my Warsaw book.

message 21: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 183 comments I'm torn between The Other Girl and The Zookeeper's Wife

message 22: by Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (last edited Jun 11, 2017 06:58PM) (new)

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 86 comments Start: Tokyo:

Read: Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan by Bill O'Reilly

Stamp: Tokyo

Roll: 3

Landed on: London: Read a book set in England
To Read: The Yard by Alex Grecian

message 23: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

I'll update message 2 showing that you have the Tokyo stamp on your passport, Stormie.

message 24: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Jun 24, 2017 06:14PM) (new)

I finished my two books for Warsaw. I read the optional choice of an main character healing from an accident. I've collected the Warsaw stamp.

Start: Warsaw
rolled a 5
Landed on: Riga

There are very, very few book set in Latvia. I will read the optional choice - read 2 books by new-to-you authors.

I'll be back with my books.
Entangled Dreams 6/15/26 ** (train wreck!)
Edgewood 6/24/17 ***

message 25: by Tiffany (last edited Jun 16, 2017 06:18PM) (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 183 comments I just finished my book for Warsaw do i need to post a review here? I read The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman
Rolled a
Landed on: Free Parking. I'll be back with my book

message 26: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Jun 16, 2017 06:23PM) (new)

Tiffany wrote: "I just finished my book for Warsaw do i need to post a review here?"

If you want to leave a review, a sentence or two with a rating would be fine.

message 27: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 183 comments I'm giving The Zookeeper's Wife 3 stars. I disagree enjoy it nearly as much as I thought I was going to. For my free parking book I'm going to read A Court of Wings and Ruin

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 86 comments I will be done with my book in a few days, I have to get it from the library today.

message 29: by Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (last edited Jun 29, 2017 04:21PM) (new)

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 86 comments Start: London

Book read: The Yard by Alex Grecian

Stamp: London

Roll: 6

Landed on Here and Now:

2nd roll: 12

12. The embassy comes to the rescue - read a book where the main character saves someone.

Book to read: Angelfall by Susan Ee

(view spoiler)

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 86 comments I am still going through my books to find something that fits (I have 58 books checked out from the library for various challenges).

The GoodReads lists are not giving me any ideas. :(

message 31: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ wrote: " (I have 58 books checked out from the library for various challenges)."

58? Wow! My library will only let us check out 30 books at a time.

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 86 comments A regular (free) card is 50 books, but the Challenge Card is $5.00 and is 100 books. ;)

message 33: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Jun 24, 2017 06:58PM) (new)

I finished my two books (new-to-me authors) for Riga. The first book was horrible; the second book was surprisingly good. I'll update the passport stamp post.

Start: Riga
rolled a 3
Landed on: Hong Kong - read a book set in Hong Kong -or-
read 2 standalone books

I'll be back with my choice.
I'm going to read Hope They Like Rice: One Family's Adventure and Misadventures Living in Hong Kong. It looks super cute and easy to read.

message 34: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 183 comments I should finish my book today, I've been sick.

message 35: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Tiffany wrote: "I should finish my book today, I've been sick."

Too sick to read? That's awful :) I hope you're feeling better soon.

message 36: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 183 comments I've finished one book so far in a week. Too sick to read and I've lost 10 lbs, which would be great if I hadn't already dieted to my goal weight!! I can't eat, I've missed over a week of work. Thank God for short term disability!

message 37: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 183 comments Book read A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas.
Rolled a 4 to land on Belfast. Will be back with my book.

message 38: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Tiffany wrote: "I've finished one book so far in a week. Too sick to read and I've lost 10 lbs, which would be great if I hadn't already dieted to my goal weight!! I can't eat, I've missed over a week of work. Tha..."

I'm so sorry. Are things getting better?

message 39: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 183 comments Unfortunately, no. I have a referral to a gastroenterologist but my doctor is going to try to get that one rushed or find another one because they can't see me until August.

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 86 comments I am still searching for a book...I did just get done reading one that would fit, but I started it before I landed on my current spot.

message 41: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ wrote: "I did just get done reading one that would fit, but I started it before I landed on my current spot."

There's got to be a Murphy's Law about that :)

message 42: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

I finished my book set in Hong Kong. I read Hope They Like Rice: One Family's Adventure and Misadventures Living in Hong Kong. I really enjoyed it. It was fascinating.

Start: Hong Kong
rolled a 5
Landed on : Chance
rolled a 7: You get the window seat! - read a book with a window on the cover

I'll be back with my book choice.

message 43: by Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (last edited Jun 29, 2017 04:12PM) (new)

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 86 comments Lanelle wrote: "Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ wrote: "I did just get done reading one that would fit, but I started it before I landed on my current spot."

There's got to be a Murphy's Law about that :)"

Seriously, I have some time now, so I am going through the (now 69) library books I have to see what fits. I am reading on several at once.

message 44: by Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (last edited Jun 29, 2017 04:25PM) (new)

Stormie ~ Book Dragon ~ (stormiebookdragon) | 86 comments OMG! This heat is really getting to me! I updated post 29 with the book. I had chosen this book from a GR list and requested it from the library and got it back last visit...yesterday, maybe...I was going through the GR list again to see if I had any of the books on the list and the book was marked as want to read. I had forgotten why I borrowed that book from the library! I do try to write down when I request a book what challenge it is for so I don't forget...well, I did forget...now to get it read within the next couple of days!

message 45: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 183 comments I don't think my current book qualifies for Belfast by itself but the one I just finished with it combined works!!

message 46: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

I finished my Chance book. I read The Tip of Eternity. It was a really good book, and I enjoyed it, but there were so many, many swear words. Too bad.

Start: Chance
rolled a 7
Landed on Queenstown: read a book set in New Zealand

I'm going to read Aunt Dimity Down Under (which I think sounds like Australia :)

message 47: by Tiffany (last edited Jul 04, 2017 09:29PM) (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 183 comments I think this enough of this book takes place in Ireland to qualify for Belfast: The Girl Who Came Home I really enjoyed reading this one and now I'm obsessed (again) with Titanic. Justvin case, I also read Passenger. I started and completed both since I rolled and landed on Belfast. ☺️ I also really enjoyed reading Passenger and will probably read the sequel very soon.

message 48: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 183 comments I rolled a 10 and landed on Riga. I'll be back with my book.

message 49: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Marin (tiffers919) | 183 comments Since the stamp is taken can I still read the 2 books?

message 50: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Tiffany wrote: "Since the stamp is taken can I still read the 2 books?"

No, you only need to read one book. Either a book set in Latvia or a new-to-you author. I've updated message 2 showing that you got the Belfast stamp on your passport.

« previous 1 3