Shounen Manga Book Club discussion

The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Vol. 1 (The Girl from the Other Side, #1)
This topic is about The Girl from the Other Side
Group Reads > The Girl from the Other Side

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mike | 239 comments Mod
"In a world split between the Inside and the Outside, those living in both realms are told never to cross over to the other side, lest they be cursed. A young girl named Shiva lives on the other side, in a vacant village with a demonic guardian known only as "Teacher". Although the two are forbidden to touch, they seem to share a bond that transcends their disparate appearances. But when Shiva leaves Teacher’s care to seek out her grandmother, the secret behind her mysterious living arrangement comes to light."

The Girl from the Other Side is one of our Summer reads. Discuss here!

Mike | 239 comments Mod
Read volume 1 and loved it. The situation / world building is interesting and the story is appropriately character driven. It's largely slice of life in a dystopian setting, which is wonderfully unique.

The dilemma's Teacher struggles with about what information to share with his ward rings emotionally true of parenthood despite the circumstances being specific to the manga's framework.

Definitely want to continue with this. Curious to see what everyone else thinks.

(My review of vol 1 for anyone interested:
https://derailmentsofthought.wordpres... )

Mike | 239 comments Mod
Second volume was just as good. There are important developments, but the backbone elements of their everyday life are kept relevant.

Lauren Evatt (peerlessscarred) | 6 comments I really liked Girl from the Other Side. I thought it was simple yet sweet and adored watching Shiva and Teacher interact. I also like the art style as well. It was different but worked nicely with the story. Can't wait to read the sequel!

Mike | 239 comments Mod
Glad you enjoyed it!

message 6: by Selena (last edited Nov 20, 2017 05:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Selena (sailorstar165) | 389 comments Mod
I just read volume one, and man do I love it. Reminds me a little of The Ancient Magus' Bride, maybe because it's about a human and a "monster." That, and the fairy tale undertones. :)

I'm curious about "Teacher's" back story. Who was he before he became cursed? Why does he still act human, when everyone else (save Shiva) acts as if he should be a beast?

I will definitely be reading volume 2. :)

Mike | 239 comments Mod
I love the atmosphere and the fairy tale undertones you mentioned. It's all so engaging and intriguing.

Third volume just came out. Can't wait to read it.

Selena (sailorstar165) | 389 comments Mod
Just read volume 2, and now I have more questions, and still no answers. Now I'm wondering what Shiva is.

Guess I'll need to read volume 3 :)

Mike | 239 comments Mod
Guess so. :) Yeah, the building mysteries are really interesting.

Still haven't had a chance to read vol 3 yet. Hopefully soon after Thanksgiving.

queen0f_hearts I read volume 1 +2 and plan to get volume 3 as soon as possible. Tbh, I bought volume 1 mostly because of its cover and the story seemed interesting, too. By now, it’s one of my fav on-going stories. Shiva is such a precious girl but I like Teacher even more and I want to know more about his past and how exactly he became a cursed one because he described being cursed as “horror”.

I also find this contrast inside/outside and father on the inside/mother on the outside quite interesting. Everything seems like a huge puzzle and the question is, is the inside indeed the “good” side as acclaimed, and is the outside indeed the “bad” place?

message 11: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike | 239 comments Mod
Finally got back to this, and it's continuing in fine fashion. Vols 3 & 4 really hammer home how horrific the curse actually is, and it helps explain the depth of fear on the inside (though their actions are still beyond inexcusable).

The slowly unfolding mysteries are really well done, and the balance between the slice of life feel and the larger, more dire and harrowing story is incredible.