Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Group Read Nominations > June: Theme - Classic Literature

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) This month the theme will be "classic literature". You can interpret the theme however you want provided you can provide an explanation. It can be a traditional classic, a modern classic, a book considered a classic of its genre etc. Please ensure you provide a link to the book on Goodreads.

Please remember:
1. People may only nominate one book.
2. All nominations must be seconded.
3. You can nominate a book or second a book not both.
4. If the book you nominate wins, you must lead the discussion.
5. Authors may not self nominate.

Nominations shall close at midday GMT on Sunday 28th May. For those outside Ireland:

New York: 7.00am
LA: 4.00am Sydney: 11.00pm, 29th May

message 2: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 148 comments I've just bought A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
so that is my nomination. Apparently it is better to read Joyce in company.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (book-vixen) | 3 comments Hi Clare,

I 2nd your nomination

message 4: by Charlie (last edited May 26, 2017 06:29AM) (new)

Charlie Garratt (charlie_garratt) | 27 comments I nominate The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck. A stunning examination of 1930s America. I read it at school and twice later. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

message 5: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn I'll nominate Big Money by P.G.Wodehouse Big Money https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1.... Wodehouse's work is well renowned and definitely belongs in the canon of 20th century classics. I always associate his books with summer reading. I have chosen a standalone that doesn't require knowledge of Jeeves & Wooster or Blandings etc

message 6: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 152 comments I'll second Big Money. I'm staring at my copy right now. It's one I haven't read yet.

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1141 comments I'll second The Grapes of Wrath.

Bookworm with Kids | 566 comments Mod
OK, classic literature wouldn't be the same without a bit of Austen. I would love to nominate Pride & Prejudice but I think that would be a bit of a cliché. I am going to nominate Persuasion - another of Austen's best books, in my opinion. I am on my phone so I will post links tomorrow.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I'll second Persuasion,

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I love Persuasion. It's my favourite of all Austen.

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Trelawn wrote: "I'll nominate Big Money by P.G.Wodehouse Big Money https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1.... Wodehouse's work is well renowned and definitely belongs in the canon of 20th century classic..."

Big Money

message 13: by Kara (new)

Kara | 106 comments Can I nominate Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

I've been meaning to read it, its been on my bookshelf for some time now :)

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
I nominate Bartleby the Scrivener. It's a short work, but it really packs a punch.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Trelawn, that sounds great. I am sorry I used my second.

Kara, the idea that you haven't read GWTW blows my mind. I forget that you are young. I was so in love with it in my early 20's that I read it 5-7 times. I'm not sure how it would play out in our current correct political think but I know it brightened my life.

message 16: by Kara (new)

Kara | 106 comments Susan wrote: "Trelawn, that sounds great. I am sorry I used my second.

Kara, the idea that you haven't read GWTW blows my mind. I forget that you are young. I was so in love with it in my early 20's that I read..."

lol everyone tells me its a really good book. I got my copy from a second hand bookstore (very good condition) just never sat down to read it yet. I know it probably wont get seconded and I'm okay with that. I can always read it as my classic for the genre challenge, either way I will read it this year :D

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Scarlett O'Hara was the first feminist character I had ever read. She was such a surprise to me. Have you seen the movie?

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations close in 2 hrs.

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations are now closed. The poll will open shortly

message 20: by Kara (new)

Kara | 106 comments Susan yes I've seen the movie maybe twice so far lol. I loved it and that's why I got the novel so I could read it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.