What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. World War One novel. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited May 26, 2017 01:28PM) (new)

Michael | 12 comments Just cannot remember the title of this novel. Read this book in the late 80's. It was a U.S. paperback original published between 1985 and 1989. It was set in the trenches of France during WW1. The main character was a British sapper involved in diigging a tunnel across no man's land and underneath a German trench. At some point in the novel while in the tunnel, he encounters a young Adolf Hitler who was a German sapper.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Michael, you can bump this every month or so. That will keep it closer to the top of the list, so more people will see it and respond.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32339 comments Mod
A shot in the dark which turned up on www.worldcat.org - The Secret Battle (1983) by A P Herbert? "Novel first published in 1920 is the story of an idealistic young British officer, Harry Penrose, in the Royal Army during World War I. It tells of one man's secret battle within himself: the fight to retain ideals of military glory amid the miseries of the trenches, to preserve a sense of duty to an incompetent command, and to inspire his men with courage he had long ago lost."

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael | 12 comments Thanks for trying. But no. The one I am looking for was written in the 1980's.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael | 12 comments I finally figured it out. At the library I saw a new novel with the title NO MAN'S LAND. That triggered my brain cells and I remembered the book - NO MAN LAND by William Fairchild(1988).

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32339 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Michael. Thanks for the update. Here's the link - No Man's Land by William Fairchild.