Diversity in All Forms! discussion

Wonder (Wonder, #1)
This topic is about Wonder
Monthly Bonus Reads > Wonder (July 2017)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mariah Roze (mariahroze) | 1370 comments Mod
July Bonus Read- International Day of Friendship

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 427 comments Fantastic book despite its flaws!

Mariah Roze (mariahroze) | 1370 comments Mod
aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "Fantastic book despite its flaws!"

I'm curious. What do you think the flaws were?

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 427 comments The ending is over-the-top, and a key scene in a woods had a 'bad' character change everything, which was good, but it felt forced, without adequate back story to explain why.

Hannah | 36 comments It is a middle-grade book, so that makes some difference in endings and how each scene is written. If this were an adult book, there probably would have been more violence, I think, but I didn't feel as though it ended up being necessary. I liked the fact that Palacio tried to keep August's friendships mostly realistic. Even though there were people who connected with him, they all had trouble being friends with him in the same way they were with each other. At that age, it's really hard to connect with people you see as so different from yourself, especially if they change the way things are done around you or if other people are pressuring you about it. I also read The Julian Chapter, which gives some really great added perspective from Julian's point-of-view.

Tanja I read the book a while ago and really liked it. But I have to say it was very hard for me to get a good picture of August in my mind - I just couldn't really imagine what his face looks like. But I liked how you could feel how his life is effected by just looking different in that kind of way. That inside he's just a normal kid who wants the same things as everyone else, but it's so much harder for him.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 427 comments I worked for a short time at a government department. They were committed to hiring the disabled and veterans through the giving of points during the hiring process. A very short woman who worked there had a face which appeared to be like a Picasso painting. I pictured August to have a face like that, although the book gives a more concrete description later in the book which was a little different. Because of my experience, I learned: 1. One does not quite get 'used' to it, although the shock, surprise, curiosity dissipates; 2. It is the displacement of the position of the eyes which most shocks and is difficult to 'ignore', even after years.

I have since learned recently-born babies (which are the subject of testing by scientists) look for the eyes of a person first. There is some human instinct for regularity.

Tanja Aah, that's interesting, thanks for sharing!

Chelsea | 1 comments I read this book last year and I just remember having so many feelings about the ups and downs of August as he went to school for the first time. This was a more realistic book where not everything went right and August fought with people. However he did have a support system and his parents where present. I enjoyed seeing different POVs, though if we stayed with his friends and sister would have been cool. This is a really good middle school book that people should read yes it has flaws however it is a good beginning talker starter.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 18 comments Andrew wrote: "I read this book earlier this year so that I'd have it read before the movie comes out later this year.
I absolutely loved and adored this book, I agree that some parts felt a bit rushed and put to..."

Here's a link to my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
I didn't get hold of a copy of the book until July 30, which is why I'm so late joining this discussion. Andrew, I didn't know about the other two books you've mentioned. I will certainly look them up. The copy of Wonder that I read included the Julian chapter.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 18 comments Tanja wrote: "I read the book a while ago and really liked it. But I have to say it was very hard for me to get a good picture of August in my mind - I just couldn't really imagine what his face looks like. But ..."

Tanja, I went to some of the craniofacial web sites listed at the end of the book to give myself a better idea of what Auggie's face may have looked like. I too found it hard to picture from the description in the book.

Samantha | 1 comments Hope to read the book and see the film...love the plastic surgery line.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 18 comments aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "I worked for a short time at a government department. They were committed to hiring the disabled and veterans through the giving of points during the hiring process. A very short woman who worked t..."

Interesting. I hadn't thought about eye displacement being the most startling. We like symmetry, and we're used to looking into people's eyes, which you can't do when the eyes on someone else aren't both at the same level (you can only look at one eye or the other at a time). Also, we're used to watching facial expressions as a type of unspoken communication, and it's harder to do that when the face is deformed. At one point in the book, Auggie says that when he was younger, before some of his surgeries, it was hard for people to tell if he was smiling. It hampered his ability to communicate to people and others' abilities to interpret his attempts to communicate. Very interesting.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 18 comments I just discovered that there's a picture book version of this novel too, We're All Wonders. Has anyone seen that? Looking forward to seeing the movie as well.

Erin I haven't read this book but I hear there's a movie coming out. I don't know when.

message 17: by Lulu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lulu (lulureads365) The movie is coming out in November and appears to be more of a tear jerker than the actual book (which I loved). lol