Pakistani Readers discussion

Recommendations > Books on Afghanistan

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by W (new)

W Khalid Hosseini is famous for The Kite Runner,which became an international bestseller.It was followed by A Thousand Splendid Suns which in my view was even better.The third book And the Mountains Echoed wasn't as good.Hosseini's recurrent theme is the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and its aftermath.

message 2: by W (new)

W In non fiction,The Sewing Circles of Herat by Christina Lamb is a very readable account of the writer's travels in Afghanistan and the Taliban years.

message 3: by Rural Soul (new)

Rural Soul | 69 comments یاران غار، قبر کی آغوش۔

message 4: by Fakiha (new)

Fakiha Sadaqat (fakihasadaqat) | 101 comments ''ROOS K TA'AQUB MN"
it is abook by Ameer Hamza....
owesome book hai..

message 5: by Muhammad (new)

Muhammad Ahsen Tahiri (ahsentahiri) | 201 comments My Life With Taliban
The Looming Tower

message 6: by Salman (new)

Salman Tariq (salmanahmedtariq) | 232 comments durand line ka qaidi

message 7: by W (new)

W The Bear Trap : The Defeat of a Super Power by Muhammad Yousuf,a Pakistani officer's account of the Afghan resistance against the Soviet Union.

message 8: by W (new)

W Return of a King by William Dalrymple,a very interesting account of the First Anglo-Afghan War which resulted in Britain's greatest military defeat of the nineteenth century.

message 9: by Amir (new)

Amir Khattak | 4 comments The kite runner by khaled husseini

message 10: by W (new)

W Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez.An American woman goes to Afghanistan,sets up a beauty school,gets married to an Afghan and narrates the stories of the Afghan women she meets.

message 11: by W (last edited Nov 05, 2019 08:04PM) (new)

W Afghanistan:Travels with the Mujahideen,by Sandy Gall
A TV reporter's account of living with the Afghan fighters,during the Soviet occupation.

message 12: by W (new)

W From Indus to Oxus
Controversial TV personality Zaid Hamid's account of his experiences as a volunteer Pakistani fighter,during the Soviet occupation.

message 13: by W (new)

W The Pearl That Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi The Pearl That Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi
Very interesting book on the lives of the women of Afghanistan.

message 15: by W (new)

W Thanks.

message 19: by W (new)

W He fought as a volunteer during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. His experiences are interesting,though I don't necessarily agree with him and haven't followed him.

message 20: by Aymen (new)

Aymen | 21 comments I find Zaid Hamid very informed but a bit too imaginative. The hype he creates makes his theories too exaggerated even if they may be correct.
And yes there are certain things he becomes over obsessed with which again sort of ruins his credibility

message 22: by W (new)

W Yes,a good one. The early years of the Taliban.

message 23: by W (new)

W Zaid Hamid is controversial. The Saudis arrested him.

message 24: by W (new)