All About Books discussion

Station Eleven
This topic is about Station Eleven
Group Reads - Fiction > Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (June 2017 Group Fiction Read)

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shirley | 4177 comments Please use this thread to discuss our June 2017 group fiction read,

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11477 comments Mod
This is great, I got the audiobook in a daily deal on audible, so I have it waiting on my mobile phone. So I can use it for my group read challenge as well. Can't wait to get started.

Just a heads up, Shirley, you have July in the title. Is it a group read for June or July?

Karin | 1924 comments I read this a few months ago, so am looking forward to this discussion!

Shirley | 4177 comments Alannah wrote: "This is great, I got the audiobook in a daily deal on audible, so I have it waiting on my mobile phone. So I can use it for my group read challenge as well. Can't wait to get started.

Just a heads..."

Thanks for pointing that out, Alannah, this is the June read! I have now changed the title. I think I was trying to do three things at once and it doesn't always work!

Shirley | 4177 comments I'll definitely be joining in as I have a copy to read on my kindle!

Jennifer | 230 comments I read this a bit ago with my face to face book club and was the only one to enjoy it. Looking forward to discussing it with a different group.

I hope to start this today.

Shirley | 4177 comments I've just started reading this.

Alice Mc Ah I read this one last November! Just re-read my review, and it's a bit all over the place... which I think was related to my mixed feelings on the book. Interested to see what everyone thinks!

message 10: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan The opening hooked me especially the end of chapter 2!

message 11: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan I'm about 50% through and the switching points-of-view, time frames and plot lines is not working for me. I do like the main characters, however.

I'm nearly halfway through, and it's falling short of my expectations, being honest, it reminds me of Stephen King's The Stand.

message 13: by Karin (last edited Jun 10, 2017 07:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karin | 1924 comments Alannah wrote: "I'm nearly halfway through, and it's falling short of my expectations, being honest, it reminds me of Stephen King's The Stand."

It wasn't as good as I'd hoped. It was 3.5 stars for me, but I rounded it up.

message 14: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan I thought it was O.K. - 2 stars. I liked the development of the main characters, but (view spoiler)

message 15: by Esther (last edited Jun 10, 2017 11:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esther (eshchory) | 1292 comments Station Eleven wasn't as thrilling or moving as I had hoped but it was incredibily well crafted and I really enjoyed reading it. And I gave it extra points because the story went where I wanted it to go rather than taking the usual cruel, melodramtic turn such stories so frequently follow.
As a result I gave it 5 stars but it didn't earn a space on my 'favourites' shelf.

Angela M I read this book a while ago and I liked it so much more than I thought I would . The moving time frames for me worked well to develop the characters . It was 5 stars for me . My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Colleen  | 344 comments Hoping I'll be able to read this and join in mid-month! I own a copy and have heard a lot about it, so curious where I'll end up feeling about it.

Angela M I'll be interested in your take on it , Colleen.

Colleen  | 344 comments Good review Angela.

Angela M Thanks , Colleen .

message 21: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan @Angela, I, too, was more engaged by the characters' present experience than in their history. Clark's (view spoiler)

Angela M Joan, I read this in 2014 and have to admit that I don't remember those details of your spoiler.

message 23: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan Angela M wrote: "Joan, I read this in 2014 and have to admit that I don't remember those details of your spoiler."

Clark was one of my favorite characters, (view spoiler)

Josen (josens) | 80 comments Joan wrote: "Angela M wrote: "Joan, I read this in 2014 and have to admit that I don't remember those details of your spoiler."

Clark was one of my favorite characters, [spoilers removed]"

I read this a while back and I wasn't thrilled with it. Out of all the characters it was Clark that really appealed to me. If he hadn't been in the book (view spoiler) I probably wouldn't have liked the book much at all.

Amalia Gkavea | 873 comments This was one of the best books I've read this year. A beautiful example of Dystopian Fiction. The writing, the time frames and the multiple points of view were extremely well-crafted, in my opinion.

I agree with Esther, it could have been melodramatic and clichéd, but the writer found the proper balance between emotion and drama (in the negative sense of the word)

Clark's (view spoiler). The same goes for Kirsten and August's (view spoiler).

Angela M Amalia wrote: "This was one of the best books I've read this year. A beautiful example of Dystopian Fiction. The writing, the time frames and the multiple points of view were extremely well-crafted, in my opinion..."

Amalia, dystopian fiction is not my usual type of book but there was something about this one that really appealed to me .

Amalia Gkavea | 873 comments Angela M wrote: "Amalia wrote: "This was one of the best books I've read this year. A beautiful example of Dystopian Fiction. The writing, the time frames and the multiple points of view were extremely well-crafted..."

I agree, Angela. Although I am interested in the genre, I am extremely picky and, I confess, a bit biased. Sometimes I feel that we have seen everything there is to see in a ''dystopian'' novel, but ''Station Eleven'' was something fresh and poignant.

Karin | 1924 comments It's interesting to read the different reviews of people here! Since reviews are being linked, here's mine

message 29: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan Amalia wrote: "This was one of the best books I've read this year. A beautiful example of Dystopian Fiction. The writing, the time frames and the multiple points of view were extremely well-crafted, in my opinion..."

Although parts were bleak, I didn't find it as depressing as other dystopian fiction - I think (view spoiler)
I usually stay away from dystopian books because they are too close to reality for me. The The Hunger Games broke my heart - it was too close to the wars in west Africa and Myanmar.

Amalia Gkavea | 873 comments Joan wrote...''Although parts were bleak, I didn't find it as depressing as other dystopian fiction - I think (view spoiler)...''

I agree, Joan. Although I admit I wasn't entirely certain whether (view spoiler)

Shirley | 4177 comments I'm about a third of the way through and so far I am finding it very intriguing, and I am loving the different storylines and how they fit together. I am certainly looking forward to reading this each night...

Karin | 1924 comments Amalia wrote: "Joan wrote...''Although parts were bleak, I didn't find it as depressing as other dystopian fiction - I think (view spoiler)...''

I agree, Joan. Although I admit I wasn't entirely certain whether ..."

Yes, I agree.

message 33: by Joan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joan Amalia wrote: "Joan wrote...''Although parts were bleak, I didn't find it as depressing as other dystopian fiction - I think (view spoiler)...''

I agree, Joan. Although I admit I wasn't entirely certain whether ..."

I hadn't realized it but I liked that (view spoiler), too. Thanks for pointing that out.

Amalia Gkavea | 873 comments Joan wrote: "Amalia wrote: "Joan wrote...''Although parts were bleak, I didn't find it as depressing as other dystopian fiction - I think (view spoiler)...''

I agree, Joan. Although I admit I wasn't entirely c..."

You're very welcome, Joan. I think this was one of the elements that made me love the book so much.

Shirley | 4177 comments I have now finished this, and I would give it 3.5 - but I have rounded it up to 4 stars. I will write more later, I am still thinking about what I thought of it.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this last year and enjoyed it. It also reminded me of The Stand. I gave it 5* because I couldn't put it down!

message 37: by Gill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gill | 5720 comments Karin wrote: "It's interesting to read the different reviews of people here! Since reviews are being linked, here's mine"

I enjoyed your review, Karen. Thanks

message 38: by Gill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gill | 5720 comments Here's my review https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

This book was much better than I expected it to be. In fact, I might read it again one day. I think there were a lot of links that I missed first time round.

Angela M Gill , your link goes to the book page a d not your review. Glad you enjoyed it too ,

message 40: by Gill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gill | 5720 comments Oops. It's only a short review anyway!

message 41: by Karin (last edited Jul 04, 2017 04:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karin | 1924 comments Gill wrote: "Here's my review https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

This book was much better than I expected it to be. In fact, I might read it again one day. I think there were a lot of..."

FYI, in order to link your review, when to go to the book page click the "see review" link under the portion of your review that shows. The correct link will have the word false somewhere in the address.

12 likes · comment · see review

Shirley | 4177 comments I thought this was good, but there were some unanswered questions (which isn't always a bad thing) however it didn't get the full five stars from me because I think the characters could have been a bit more three dimensional.

Josen (josens) | 80 comments Shirley wrote: "I thought this was good, but there were some unanswered questions (which isn't always a bad thing) however it didn't get the full five stars from me because I think the characters could have been a..."

I definitely agree about the characters. I wasn't invested in any of them........except Clark.

Robin P I just finished reading this as I had to wait to get it from the library. It was one of my favorite books so far this year. I don't usually like dystopian fiction, but I liked that there were good people helping each other in some places. It wasn't all horrible.

Some of you said it seemed imitative of other books, but since I avoid this type of book generally, it was original to me. I liked how a number of characters were related in some ways, even if they didn't know it. I did figure out who the prophet was pretty early, but that was ok.

I thought it was really well written and I liked the emphasis on art and music. I think she made an effort to show the human side of most of the characters, even Arthur at the end.

It made me wonder how I would do in the face of the breakdown of society. I would have no useful skills, like medicine, physics, hunting, etc. I was kind of surprised that in those areas with a good number of people, there wouldn't be someone who could rig up electricity or use folk remedies for infection, etc. But I wouldn't be that person.

Colleen  | 344 comments I just started this and so far so good. Will love to look back on this thread and read all your insights. Better late than never!

message 46: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg | 7264 comments Mod
Colleen wrote: "I just started this and so far so good. Will love to look back on this thread and read all your insights. Better late than never!"

I really loved this book Colleen - hope you enjoy it! :)

Colleen  | 344 comments Loved it! A really good dystopian novel.