All About Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Posts > Nominations for July 2017 - Group Fiction Read

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments It's time to nominate your choice for our July 2017 group fiction read - please use this thread to nominate.

Nominations start today and will close on June 2nd.

During this time anybody can either nominate or second a book. The 6 books with the most second votes at the end of the 5 day nomination period will go into the poll. Each person can either nominate one book or second one book. There are no limits to the number of seconds a book can receive.

The poll will then run until the 9th June 2017 and the winner will be announced shortly after. This will leave about 3 weeks for people to get hold of the book in preparation for the read.

Please only nominate, second or vote for a book you will read with the group if it should win. Please also check that your chosen nomination hasn't been a group read in the past. You can do this by looking at the group bookshelf, contact one of the moderators or post on 'Ask the Moderators' thread

If you have any questions on the nominations process please contact me, use the 'Ask the Moderators' thread or post on here and we will be happy to help.

And don't forget - our June fiction read is Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel and we very much hope you will join us in reading this together.

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin | 1942 comments Republic Of Dirt : A Return to Woefield Farm by Susan Juby. Funny, award winning novel and you don't need to read the first one first to enjoy it (it might help, and it's good, but this one is better).

message 3: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I'd like to nominate Saint Mazie by Jami Attenberg. It only came out two years ago and seems interesting.

message 4: by Chrissie (last edited May 26, 2017 02:15AM) (new)

Chrissie Oh, Marina, that Mazie is based on a real woman whom you can read about in Joseph Mitchell's Up in the Old Hotel. In this book you get not just info about her but about other great characters too! It is an anthology.That Mitchel has put these characters' lives into print is something we would be poorer without. Then having read that you will want to read Man in Profile: Joseph Mitchell of The New Yorker, about the author. Some of the stories/essays are totally priceless. He wrote for The New Yorker

message 5: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Chrissie wrote: "Oh, Marina, that Mazie is based on a real woman whom you can read about in Joseph Mitchell's Up in the Old Hotel. In this book you get not just info about her but abou..."

Thanks so much, Chrissie! I think the guy who sold me the book (he was someone from the Italian publishing house, I bought the book at a book fair) told me that the novel was based on the story of a real woman, but I didn't remember it now. Thanks for your recommendations, I will definitely look into those books :)

message 6: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Marina, nice! He told you the truth. You never quite know with salespeople.

message 7: by Guy (new)

Guy Austin | 267 comments I'll Nominate The Kite Runner - I don't think it has been a Group read yet. Its been Onmy shelf so long I need an excuse to pull it off and read it finally...

message 8: by katie (new)

katie | 74 comments I nominate Disappearing Moon Cafe by Sky Lee. It follows multiple generations of the women of a Chinese-Canadian immigrant family. I've been wanting to read it for a long time.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason | 1051 comments I would like to nominate a book that has been near the top of my tbr list for a good while - Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg. I am sure many will think of the popular movie adaptation, I know I did when I was first told that this was a must read by a friend of mine. I am always apprehensive when it comes to books that I have some foreknowledge about because of a film, but I still have high hopes for this book.

message 10: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11721 comments Mod
Guy wrote: "I'll Nominate The Kite Runner - I don't think it has been a Group read yet. Its been Onmy shelf so long I need an excuse to pull it off and read it finally..."

I'll second this nomination. I have read it but would love to take part in a discussion about it.

message 11: by Pink (new)

Pink I'd like to nominate The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry. I haven't read anything by this author, but have noticed his latest book getting a lot of buzz and I remember hearing a lot about this one a few years ago, but never got around to reading it.

message 12: by Solange (new)

Solange | 3 comments Pink wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry. I haven't read anything by this author, but have noticed his latest book getting a lot of buzz and I reme..."

I'll second this one because I'm interested in a contemporary Irish Literature.

message 13: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I'll second Pink's nomination too: The Secret Scripture. I know I like this author a lot, but I had heard that the ending of this particular book of his could perhaps be a bit better. I am thinking the end isn't the whole of the book, so it is probably a good read.

message 14: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ I will second Saint Mazie.

message 15: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Shirley wrote: "It's time to nominate your choice for our July 2017 group fiction read - please use this thread to nominate.

Nominations start today and will close on June 2nd.

During this time anybody can eithe..."

The nominations were supposed to close on June 2! Has a poll been set up? Please explain what is going on. Thank you.

message 16: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Hi - so sorry!! Will set up the poll now - please accept my apologies!!

message 17: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments ok - the poll is set up but it wouldn't let me set it up for today, not quite sure why. It should appear on the home page tomorrow, then I will send a message out to get people voting!

message 18: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Shirley wrote: "Hi - so sorry!! Will set up the poll now - please accept my apologies!!"

Oh, don't worry. i was just wondering what was going on.

message 19: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Here's the link for the poll:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.