Nerdist Book Club discussion

Star Wars books

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tyler (last edited May 24, 2017 08:11PM) (new)

Tyler Boyce | 14 comments At the request of the hosts, I am starting this discussion about Star Wars books. Most of my reading comes from the Legends canon (formerly known as the "Expanded Universe" or "EU"). I highly recommend Timothy Zahn's other Star Wars books. And again, Path of Destruction by Drew Karpyshyn (the genius behind "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic", "Mass Effect", and "Star Wars: The Old Republic"), and Darth Plagueis by James Luceno.

The creepy thing is that these books will have you *agreeing* with the dark side. "Darth Plagueis" especially takes a very Machiavellian look at the Republic and the galaxy. But it's interesting to get the Sith's perspective, from behind the curtain.

message 2: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Boyce | 14 comments Some other good ones are the Legacy of the Force series, especially Invincible by Troy Denning. Han Solo's son Jacen (not Ben) has fallen to the dark side and become Darth Caedus. Now his twin sister Jaina must bring down one of the most powerful Sith Lords of all time.

message 3: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Boyce | 14 comments I also recommend the New Jedi Order series for a new, creepy, and astonishing tale in the galaxy far, far away. The EU has never been the same since. The galaxy is invaded by extragalactic aliens called the Yuuzhan Vong. They use organic biotechnology and believe machines to be abominations to their gods. Most bewildering of all: they have no presence in the Force. They can't be sensed through it, they can't be affected by it...the whole species has been completely cut off.

I highly recommend Vector Prime by R.A. Salvatore (which features the tragic death of a beloved Star Wars hero), Traitor by Matthew Stover (which features an epic battle between 1 Jedi and thousands of Vong, and a surprising parallel to Dante's Inferno), Star by Star by Troy Denning (which features the tragic Fall of Coruscant to the Vong), and Balance Point by Kathy Tyers (where the next Skywalker generation begins).

message 4: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Boyce | 14 comments It's funny: as much as I love Thrawn, technically my first Star Wars books was the "Jedi Prince" ones about the false Emperor Trioculus and Emperor Palpatine's grandson. Hahaha! They are for young adults, but if you want to see one of the goofiest stories in the Star Wars mythos, check it out.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Heine | 5 comments Mod
Yesss, thank you! I haven't read this in many years but I remember really enjoying Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Not sure if it's still canon, though.

message 6: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Boyce | 14 comments For the original Thrawn books, as much as I like Outbound Flight, I think The Last Command by Timothy Zahn is Thrawn at his best. How the New Republic finally defeats Thrawn is just so..."artistically done". That's all I'm going to say for now. If you read Thrawn and haven't read the other books, even if you didn't like Thrawn, YOU MUST READ!!! That is my last command.

message 7: by Tyler (last edited May 24, 2017 08:12PM) (new)

Tyler Boyce | 14 comments Rachel wrote: "Yesss, thank you! I haven't read this in many years but I remember really enjoying Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Not sure if it's still canon, though."

I think the Lucasfilm story group just gave a blanket declaration that all books written before "Episode VII: The Force Awakens" are no longer canon. Which is a shame, because there are some great stories about Dooku in the EU.

One of my favorites is from the Jango Fett comic. [SPOILERS AHEAD] It's set a decade before "The Phantom Menace". The governor of Galidraan asks the Jedi to deal with Mandalorians who have been killing his citizens. It turns out that the governor had hired the Mandos to violently put down a civilian uprising, and was using the Jedi to cover his tracks. It completely explains why Dooku lost faith in the Republic and the Jedi. Qui-Gon's death was simply the last straw...an excuse to finally leave.

Dooku references it more than once in Darth Plagueis. I like how James Luceno gives us some insight into Dooku both before and after Galidraan.

message 8: by Caleb (new)

Caleb  (plaguewind) | 4 comments I have two Star Wars bookshelves, one for Legends and one for the current canon. The Legends one is still a work in progress but I have it in chronological order. The current canon one is very accurate and complete as o now and that one is also in chronological order. Enjoy and May the Force be with you!!

message 9: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Boyce | 14 comments Caleb "PlagueWind" wrote: "I have two Star Wars bookshelves, one for Legends and one for the current canon. The Legends one is still a work in progress but I have it in chronological order. The current canon one is very accu..."

I have yet to really get into the new canon. Thrawn was my first "official" Star Wars book. It's just so hard to let go of it all: the Thrawn trilogy, the New Jedi Order series, Darth Vader's duel with a Darth Maul clone on Kalakar Six, the Tales of the Jedi comics, the Dark Empire comics, and the Legacy comics.

Though I have heard good things about Aftermath and that trilogy of books. I'm starting to get interested in the new post-Endor timeline, especially with the story for EA's upcoming "Star Wars: Battlefront II" video game.

message 10: by Ben (new)

Ben Rosner | 6 comments Thanks Tyler! I'll definitely be checking some of these out!

message 11: by Caleb (new)

Caleb  (plaguewind) | 4 comments Tyler wrote: "Caleb "PlagueWind" wrote: "I have two Star Wars bookshelves, one for Legends and one for the current canon. The Legends one is still a work in progress but I have it in chronological order. The cur..."

I agree. I grew up with the EU for many years (I'm in my mid 30's now) and I saw the Star Wars Universe grow way beyond the films. I wasn't happy that Disney made the EU non canon, but I forced myself to look at the new canon as the continuation of it. I will always see the EU as Star Wars and will never forget the stories but the new canon has been good so far. The Aftermath trilogy covers the year after Endor. Bloodline is 6 years before Force Awakens and shows the beginnings of the New Order. The Battlefront book Twilight Company is a good war story and the sequel Inferno Squad is an upcoming book focusing on an Imperial squad. Disney has the potential to make the new canon awesome, let's just hope they don't blow it.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael Bondurant | 1 comments One of my favorite Star wars books is I, Jedi. It is a nice stand alone story. You would have a little more background if you read some of the earlier books but nothing that adds to the story.