Historical Romance Book Club discussion

The Ton > You show me yours and I'll show you mine

Comments Showing 1-50 of 321 (321 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Al George , Mod (last edited May 24, 2017 06:24PM) (new)

Al George  (georgieme) | 1575 comments Mod
I love reading everyone's reviews and I am hoping you'll keep coming back here and posting links to books and your reviews as you review them.

I start even though this review is over a week old (I've been a bit behind on my historical reading!): My review of To Sir Phillip, With Love - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Who's next?

message 2: by Sha (last edited May 24, 2017 07:46PM) (new)

Sha | 121 comments Reviews! :3 I think I have a couple...

Also hi, I'm new. :)

How I Married a Marquess, by Anna Harrington
A Sense of Sin by Elizabeth Essex

I also have a review for an m/m romance which I'm posting here because it was excellent; Think of England by K J Charles.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 358 comments Here are a couple of my recent ones:

Surrender by Amanda Quick

My GR Review

How to Lose a Duke in Ten Days (An American Heiress in London, #2) by Laura Lee Guhrke
My GR Review

message 4: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 23 comments Sha wrote: "I also have a review for an m/m romance which I'm posting here because it was excellent; Think of England by K J Charles."

I adored this book! K J Charles has become an "Add it to my tbr automatically" author".

message 5: by Mahak (new)

Mahak | 53 comments Catchy title ;)

message 6: by Al George , Mod (new)

Sha wrote: "Reviews! :3 I think I have a couple...

Also hi, I'm new. :)

How I Married a Marquess, by Anna Harrington
A Sense of Sin by Elizabeth Essex

I also have a review for an m/m romance which I'm posti..."

Great reviews and so glad to see another KJ Charles lover here. Keep posting your reviews. Ton of fun.

message 7: by Al George , Mod (new)

Lauren wrote: "Here are a couple of my recent ones:

Surrender by Amanda Quick

My GR Review

How to Lose a Duke in Ten Days (An American Heiress in London, #2) by Laura Lee Guhrke
My GR Review"

Thanks for sharing. Definitely liked your reviews.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 358 comments Thanks Ally :)

message 9: by Sha (new)

Sha | 121 comments So glad to see more K J Charles fans here. I was wary to pick her books up at first (my experience with m/m manga has been disappointing- too many gender roles), but she has proven herself to be consistently excellent so far. :)

And yes I thought Think of England was a great title too. I sniggered when I first saw it. Also I have a couple more reviews;

The Perfect Rake, by Anne Gracie
An Unseen Attraction, by K J Charles

message 10: by Al George , Mod (new)

Keep 'em coming folks. Love to read your thoughts on books!

My latest historical review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... for
The Heiress Effect

message 11: by Sha (last edited May 28, 2017 08:53AM) (new)

Sha | 121 comments Courtney Milan! I love every single book she's written to date. :3 I have been waiting for After the Wedding for what seems like far too long. I've only reviewed A Kiss for Midwinter of her HRs so far though.

More reviews;
Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish, by Grace Burrowes
A Seditious Affair by K J Charles

message 13: by Al George , Mod (new)

jaxnsmom wrote: "The Soldier's Scoundrel by Cat Sebastian The Soldier's Scoundrel by Cat Sebastian

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

You are convincing me that I need to get to this book! It's been in my TBR for a while.

message 14: by Al George , Mod (new)

Any new reviews, folks? Don't leave me hanging!

message 15: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3733 comments Mod
I only have recently started leaving reviews. Here are a couple:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 16: by Al George , Mod (new)

Joanna wrote: "I only have recently started leaving reviews. Here are a couple:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Thanks for sharing those!

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Just finished The Alabaster Hip. don't worry, the title gets explained in the book, it's actually kinda cute. The cover is hideous though, if you ask me... I actually loved the first half, and the hero. Omg, the hero... I loved him SO much <3 I didn't really enjoy the second half though, but someone less allergic to fabricated drama (esp. big bad, dragged-out misunderstandings...) might not mind that as much as I did :) The first half was hilarious, and I will check out more of the author's books

message 18: by Al George , Mod (new)

Andrea wrote: "Just finished The Alabaster Hip. don't worry, the title gets explained in the book, it's actually kinda cute. The cover is hideous though, if you ask me... I actually loved the firs..."

Ugh. This worries me. I was excited to read this after the first two, but a hated heroine? Cue the trepidation.

message 19: by Al George , Mod (last edited Jun 09, 2017 08:12PM) (new)

I finished my personal series challenge with On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8) by Julia Quinn - not the best way to end a series IMHO. My review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 358 comments Finished The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband (Rokesbys, #2) by Julia Quinn - not one of Julia Quinn's best mainly due to the heroine's problematic actions, but a satisfying romance nonetheless.

My GR Review

message 21: by Jan (last edited Jun 20, 2017 04:28PM) (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1764 comments Here are my two most recent HR reviews:

This one is Duke of Midnight Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6) by Elizabeth Hoyt which is #6 in the Maiden Lane series. I'm working my way through the whole series.

This one is a set of 4 novellas that accompanies a series I recently finished, the Windham series. The set of novellas is The Duke's Courtship The Duke's Courtship by Grace Burrowes

message 22: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1764 comments BTW I stick pretty closely and honestly to the GR star system in my reviews. So, 3 stars means I liked a book, 4 stars means I really liked a book. I very rarely give 5 stars (meaning 'it was amazing') as I don't read 'amazing' books that often (sadly!).

I'm aware some GR members use their own interpretation of the star system, and many seem to think a 3 star rating is a poor one, but for me, it's good - it means I did like the book.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Authors think 3-stars is a poor rating too.

message 24: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1764 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Authors think 3-stars is a poor rating too."

Hmm. Well, that's not how I read the star ratings as described by GR. I'm honest in my ratings and my reviews. To me it's pointless to overhype a book that I liked but wasn't *in love* with. But 3 stars still means I liked the book, and heck yes, I did buy it and finish it.

Has anyone noticed that, confusingly, the star rating system is different on amazon? When I put reviews on there I usually have to give a different star rating from my GR reviews. I wish they were the same.....

Sorry I'm a bit OT here, but when reading people's reviews the star ratings definitely come into play.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I'll have to look at what GR says these ratings mean.

I've seen others on GR say Amazon ratings don't line up with GR.

I wonder if I should bother filling in the Amazon rating/review at the end of my kindle books.

It's whacky that Amazon and GR have diff rating system bec when I fill in the rating/review at end of kindle to send to Amazon, the review/rating shows up in GR.

They need to get on the same page with these ratings!

message 26: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1764 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "I'll have to look at what GR says these ratings mean.

They need to get on the same page with these ratings!"

I know. I agree. But I don't see how they can line them up because it will alter so many historical ratings/ reviews. I guess that's what's holding them back. But it is frustrating and perhaps is why lots of people just ignore them and use their own system of what the stars mean.

BTW on amazon, three stars means 'it's okay' and four stars means 'I like it' (cf. 2 stars and 3 stars on GR)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments There is someone in my feed, a romance blogger, who gives grade like in school: B+ C- etc. and she uses full stars and .5 stars to express these grades for her rating system.

I'm confused by my own rating system and was thinking of adopting hers

message 28: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1764 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "There is someone in my feed, a romance blogger, who gives grade like in school: B+ C- etc. and she uses full stars and .5 stars to express these grades for her rating system.

I'm confused by my ow..."

Yep I quite often use .5 stars. A common rating for me lately seems to be 3.5 stars. But that doesn't show in the 'stars' gif so if I have a .5 I always write that first up in my review.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments A lot of people use .5 stars, but someone on my flist who is a librarian says GR staff are adamant about making .5 stars.

message 30: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Adamant against the .5 rating?

I tend to think that averages near 3 stars looks like a bad ranking, too. When I started rating in GR, I think I was more strict, but then I started noticing some books I hated having really high averages, typically non-romance genres. I understand everyone having different opinions, but they seemed unreasonably high. Then, I would see well-written romance novels having a much lower rating than popular reads, and I no longer thought I was being fair to the authors I enjoyed. I tend to rate based on my likelihood that I will re-read or if it impacted me greatly.

I have seen the letter system also, and I like it. I still think I would confuse myself. It is difficult to not be subjective and a lot of it depends on my mood or mindset.

message 31: by Jan (new)

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 358 comments I don't stick to GRs ratings as they don't reflect my thoughts.
For me a 2 star book is not OK . For me, 2 stars mean I wouldn't recommend it. A 1 star does not mean "I didn't like it" but that although I managed to finish it, its not a good book.

The 3, 4 & 5 descriptors are better but also not an accurate reflection of my reading experience. For this reason, I have my own rating system on my profile page.

message 33: by Al George , Mod (new)

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Authors think 3-stars is a poor rating too."

You know, that is so not the case. I get it. They pour their heart and souls into these books. It makes sense that a three might not feel so great, but everyone has to remember, reviews are totally subjective. And me? I consider a three a nice solid book.

message 34: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1764 comments Ally wrote: "I consider a three a nice solid book."

Me too Ally. But I feel like so many readers use their own rating systems, or overhype books, that giving three stars makes me feel really stingy sometimes. Still, I call 'em like I see 'em.

message 35: by Mahak (new)

Mahak | 53 comments Its realy an important topic to discuss. Everyone has different prespective about rating system.
1 rating mean for me- reader hate the book.
2 rating means- reader is angry due to one or two thing
3 rating- a little bit disappoinment
4-enjoyed but will forget with time
5- In love with each word of book.
I know its sound funny but Its my way rating system :D

message 36: by Mahak (new)

Mahak | 53 comments P.S- superb thread Ally. I realy enjoyed reading reviews by different readers. It makes us feel more connected. Mostly I dont drop reviews, I m not that good with words.

message 37: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

I enjoy for the same reasons Mahak. I always think you make great points.

message 39: by Al George , Mod (new)

Mahak wrote: "P.S- superb thread Ally. I realy enjoyed reading reviews by different readers. It makes us feel more connected. Mostly I dont drop reviews, I m not that good with words."

I love seeing what everyone thinks and getting ideas for new books. In fact I think someone in this thread convinced me to read The Spring Bride which I'm totally loving.

message 41: by Mahak (new)

Mahak | 53 comments Joanna wrote: "I enjoy for the same reasons Mahak. I always think you make great points."
Thanks from bottom of my heart for your warm words. I love to read from u too.

message 42: by Mahak (new)

Mahak | 53 comments Ally wrote: "Mahak wrote: "P.S- superb thread Ally. I realy enjoyed reading reviews by different readers. It makes us feel more connected. Mostly I dont drop reviews, I m not that good with words."

I love seei..."

Yes..thats the greatest advantage. This book seems so interesting. Will wait for your review on it.

message 43: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Mahak wrote: "Joanna wrote: "I enjoy for the same reasons Mahak. I always think you make great points."
Thanks from bottom of my heart for your warm words. I love to read from u too."

😌

message 44: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1764 comments Group hugs for all of us! I love reading all of your comments and opinions. I have gotten so many great recs from the GR blogs. Thank you everyone who makes the effort to comment or review.

message 45: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 358 comments Finished On a Wicked Dawn (Cynster, #9) by Stephanie Laurens yesterday and was rather disappointed. Laurens' heroes really need to get over themselves.

My GR Review

message 46: by Al George , Mod (new)

Finished The Spring Bride (Chance Sisters, #3) by Anne Gracie - sweet and darling: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show.... It's like a 3.8999 - 4.28888 for me =). That means I liked it!

message 47: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Finished Lord of Fire earlier today. My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 48: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 358 comments Finished Rendezvous by Amanda Quick - not one of Quick's best but entertaining nonetheless.

My GR Review

message 49: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1764 comments Lauren wrote: "Finished On a Wicked Dawn (Cynster, #9) by Stephanie Laurens yesterday and was rather disappointed. Laurens' heroes really need to get over themselves.

My GR Review"

The few Stephanie Laurens I've read seemed pretty old fashioned and (dare I say it?) a tad boring..........

message 50: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1764 comments Ally wrote: "Finished The Spring Bride (Chance Sisters, #3) by Anne Gracie - sweet and darling: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show.... It's like a 3.8999 - 4.28888 for me =). That means I liked it!"

LOL!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7