The YA Book Club discussion

Book Recommendations > Mental Illness/Health YA Book Recommendations!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Isabel (new)

Isabel | 2 comments Hey! I'm looking for some good mental illness or mental health books in the YA genre :)

message 2: by Mia (new)

Mia | 2 comments The sky between you and me is a good book. The girl in the book wants to lose weight because she thinks it will make her better

message 3: by Sonya (new)

Sonya | 1 comments All the Bright Places

you should definitely try All the bright places by Jennifer Niven, it is written beautifully and as someone who knows a bit about personality disorders, I can say it is authentic. It has some flows, course, but it was rather enjoyable, deals with depression, bipolar disorder and suicide, and if these are the topics you meant, I recommend it, and to everyone else, because the book is awesome :)

message 4: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 5 comments Have you read Thirteen Reasons Why?
It is about a high school student (Clay) who finds a package of tapes in his mail. These tapes were created by a classmate named Hannah who recently committed suicide. They were sent to various people before they arrived at Clay's door step. In this book, Clay listens to the tape while visiting the places that Hannah mentioned in her tapes, reliving the reasons why she chose suicide.

Definitely a very impactful book and a quick read. It resonates with me, since I have been bullied before and I've seen other people who have been bullied. There is a trigger warning because of the focus on suicide.

message 5: by m (new)

m (shadowsofidris) | 4 comments When We Collided

message 6: by Kaylen (new)

Kaylen | 12 comments Definitely check out Made You Up by Francesca Zappia! It's about a girl with Schizophrenia as she navigates high school and tries to distinguish between what things are real in her everyday life and what things are hallucinations that her mind is just making up (including the existence of a boy she may or may not have imagined from her childhood).

message 7: by Anagha (new)

Anagha Kangovi You should read How it Feels to Fly by Kathryn Holmes.

message 8: by Suzi Evelyn (new)

Suzi Evelyn (suzievelyn) | 73 comments As a very recent read, I would definitely recommend Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock. It's the most recent well-written mental health book that I've read and I loved it. It follows high school student Leonard Peacock on his eighteenth birthday, the day he plans to kill both himself and his best friend. Along with mental health, this book also touches a very important, very rarely-talked about subject. The supporting characters in this one are very powerful. Overall, I really recommend this.

message 9: by Aliyaa (new)

Aliyaa Pathan A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness is a really good book about a boy whose mother has cancer (though it is not directly stated, it can be inferred). Its a quick read and actually took me only 2-3 hours, but ended up as one of the most beautiful, thought provoking book I've ever read.
Cancer isn't exactly a mental illness, but you should still read the book!

Unknown poet (Anna) (unknown_poetanna) Every Last Word is a really good book.

message 11: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
A List of Cages by Robin Roe

message 12: by Alli (last edited Jun 15, 2017 06:28AM) (new)

Alli | 1 comments It's Kind of a Funny Story and Challenger Deep are both great books.