Horror Aficionados discussion

Getting to Know You > Creepy places in your house/property?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Baz (new)

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 84 comments Do you have any no-go or 'try-not-to-go' places in your house or on your property?

Our property backs onto open wetlands. Getting up at night and walking past the back window when it's pitch black outside conjures up all sorts of horrific fiction in my head, particularly when the inside of the house is lit up but I can't see out.

The house is raised so I also like to keep lone, night time visits to the laundry or storage under the house to a minimum.
Yes I am a grown man -_-

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 68 comments My parents' basement had a couple rooms in the basement that I thought were a bit creepy, especially after my best friend told me vampires lived in them when we were about 9.

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) | 34 comments We've just built a large storage cupboard into our roof cavity. Its fully lined, painted, has a light etc. But at the end of the cupboard, there's another door, which leads into the rest of the roof space, just in case we need to do roof repairs, or access the heating system etc. Through that door is an area filled with old insulation, cables, abandoned pieces of wood, and dark corners...

I'll be following this post with interest though! Fuel for my writing ;)

Mixofsunandcloud | 538 comments The room I had when I was a kid had the opening to the unfinished attic. It was basically just a square entrance blocked by a board that fitted into the hole. And when it was windy it would rattle. Or worse, the wind could dislodge it so it would open just slightly, like someone had opened it from the inside. Dad eventually used some clothespins to keep it from popping up.

I actually found under the basement stairs to be a good place to hide and read until I accidentally found my Christmas presents.

message 5: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 80 comments I stay away from flower beds in general. That's the number one spot people resort to for burying bodies. The last thing I want is to unearth a skull buried by a past owner just because I wanted to plant a tulip.

It's just too much paperwork for me to stomach.

message 6: by Laurie (last edited May 24, 2017 05:29PM) (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments No, most sadly. My house is a ranch, well lit and not at all creepy. My current dream is to win the lottery and buy an old Victorian with lots of nooks and crannies.

But my Grandma had this house with a dirt cellar that always creeped us out as kids. She stored cans down there but you had to wander down the stairs in the dark to get at the light. My MIL also rented a huge ancient house in the 90's that had slave quarters attached, along with a creepy dark dirt cellar. We'd hear all sorts of noises at night and my husband used to have the worst night terrors. He hasn't had them since we moved out.

message 7: by Gerhard (new)

Gerhard Baz wrote: "Do you have any no-go or 'try-not-to-go' places in your house or on your property?

Our property backs onto open wetlands. Getting up at night and walking past the back window when it's pitch black..."

Baz, you managed to make shivers run down my spine. I hate the idea of "something" looking into a well-lit room from out there in the pitch black night ...

message 8: by Baz (last edited May 24, 2017 09:45PM) (new)

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 84 comments Gerhard wrote: "Baz wrote: "Do you have any no-go or 'try-not-to-go' places in your house or on your property?

Our property backs onto open wetlands. Getting up at night and walking past the back window when it's..."

I've thought about using it as a bit of inspo for some short story writing perhaps. The old "they can see me, but I can't see them" haha.
The sounds of the wildlife coming from the wetlands tend to add an element of atmosphere too ^o.o^

Mixofsunandcloud wrote: "The room I had when I was a kid had the opening to the unfinished attic. It was basically just a square entrance blocked by a board that fitted into the hole. And when it was windy it would rattle...."

'The wind'... ah yes. You keep telling yourself that ;)

message 9: by Ash (new)

Ash | 10 comments I don't avoid any specific rooms as much as I just avoid my house entirely. I've had experiences all throughout my house, and just try not to look out the window at night to avoid looking at anything. Mind the fact my room is on the second story of my house.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments I generally avoid attics and basements. The house I grew up in had an old dark room right off the stairs in the attic and it always creeped me out passing by it. I've also always lived in houses with creepy "dungeon" basements but our current house has a bright, finished basement. Even the laundry room is painted electric orange. Our attic is unfinished though. My husband and I had a running joke when looking at houses which was to go up to the attic and ask each other if there was any old home movies up there (reference to the movie Sinister). At the house we eventually ended up buying, I went up to the attic with the realtor and, as my husband was asking me that question, she says "Oh..wait a minute.." I forget what she actually saw but it creeped us out in the moment. It's a huge unfinished space so I told him we can eventually renovate it into his office because I'm never going up there again.

message 11: by Jon Kevin (new)

Jon Kevin Melhus | 50 comments I avoid my toilet for an hour or two after i've been there.

message 12: by Ash (new)

Ash | 10 comments Jon Kevin wrote: "I avoid my toilet for an hour or two after i've been there."

I'm sure most people do that in their homes, as well.

message 13: by Ash (new)

Ash | 10 comments I've come to avoid leaving my room entirely. This sucks.

message 14: by Jon Kevin (new)

Jon Kevin Melhus | 50 comments What's going on Ash?
Have you tried getting help?