Livingston Parish Library discussion

General > Summer Reading Starts Tomorrow!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma James-Wilson (ejwilson10) | 63 comments This year's Summer Reading Program theme for children, teens, and adults is "Build a Better World…Read!" Registration begins on Thursday, May 25 and ends Monday, July 31. Sign up at mylpl.info/summerreading to win prizes just for reading books!

For adults, with the first three books you read or listen to, you will win a special library-themed browsing bag, and be entered to win the grand prize: A tool and gardening kit! With every three additional three books you read, you earn another chance to win that grand prize.

In addition to the awesome prizes, Livingston Parish Library is also hosting great activities for adults all summer long. Check out the full schedule at mylpl.info/programming.

I hope everyone registers and that I see you at the library this summer! What do you have on your to-read list that you are determined to check off between now and July?

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill Taylor | 5 comments I read the Hobbit several years ago and start reading the Lord of the Rings but did not get very far. I hope to read the Lord of the Rings this summer as well as Baldacci's latest book and Lee Child's book of short stories that came out recently. Stephen Hunter's book looks interesting also - so many books so little time!

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma James-Wilson (ejwilson10) | 63 comments Hi, Bill! I know exactly what you mean about books and time! I've read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy...I think you are going to be a very busy man. The story is great, but the prose is very thick. They were challenging reads for me.

Right now I'm taking a break from challenge books and rereading The Others series by Anne Bishop. The last book came out in May and was so good I wanted to read the whole series (five books) together. I'm on book three now. I know there are several folks in this group that like paranormal fiction. This is a series you definitely want to read, especially since it's finished!

I'm also taking on Maya's Notebook by Isabelle Allende (a reading challenge book) and I definitely want to read Sarah J. Maas's A Court of Wings and Ruin, which just came out. That's in addition to the Bookies Book Club books, of course! :)

Samantha “Sam” A (samalvarez823) | 31 comments I had to read The Lord of the Rings my Jr year in High school at Walker. It was the worst couple of weeks of my life ha ha!! 😂It was indeed a very challenging read plus, it's just not my favorite genre.

I'm working on the second book in the Samantha Kincaid series by Alafair Burke, once I finish (3 books total), I will have read all of her books. Her writing style is like Mary Higgins Clark.

Then I'd really love to start on the Bosch series by Michael Connelly. I had signed up for the Yureka book subscription service and I've read two of the four books they've sent me, ALL great reads! It's a really neat service as they cater to your favorite genre's and authors. I was getting stuck reading the same authors and this opened me up to some new authors. Big Little Lies and The Memory of Lemon were really terrific reads!! I believe big little lies is actually a series on hbo now based off of the book.

I'm in total agreement, way too many books and never enough time!! I'd rather have that though than not enough books! :) I hope your summers are off to a great start!!

message 5: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Harbin | 3 comments I finished The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer last week...so good! Spy thrillers aren't my normal genre, but I loved it! I finished The Girl on the Train today...wow. I couldn't put that one down!

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma James-Wilson (ejwilson10) | 63 comments Kylie wrote: "I finished The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer last week...so good! Spy thrillers aren't my normal genre, but I loved it! I finished The Girl on the Train today...wow. I couldn't put that one down!"

That's awesome, Kylie! The Girl on the Train is definitely on my TBR list. I'm curious about the movie too, but I don't want to spoil myself. :)

Samantha “Sam” A (samalvarez823) | 31 comments The Girl on the Train was an Amazing read and a good movie!!! Of course, the book is always better! :) I attempted to read The Chemist but, it just didn't hold my interest. I did read The Host years ago (same author) and liked it. In fact, we just saw the movie the other night and it wasn't bad at all.

Happy Reading y'all! :)

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma James-Wilson (ejwilson10) | 63 comments Samantha wrote: "The Girl on the Train was an Amazing read and a good movie!!! Of course, the book is always better! :)

I dunno, Sam...ALWAYS better??? I can come up with at least one notable example where I feel that the movie was better than the book. The Princess Bride. I love, love, love, the movie. I can quote you every line. But for some reason, when I go to read the book, the magic has always been missing for me.

Of course, in most cases, you are absolutely correct and I defer to your wisdom. ;)

Samantha “Sam” A (samalvarez823) | 31 comments Ha ha!! You are right!! ;) And then in some cases, they are both equally amazing!!

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma James-Wilson (ejwilson10) | 63 comments True. What is everyone's favorite book to movie combo?