Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Tessa's Caldecott Challenge Books / May 2017 - OTHER books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5549 comments In this thread, I'll post reviews of the Caldecott-winning picture books I've read this month for a challenge in another group.

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5549 comments Ashanti to Zulu African Traditions by Margaret Musgrove
Ashanti to Zulu: African Traditions – Margaret Musgrove
5*****

Illustrations by Leo and Diane Dillon. Winner of the 1977 Caldecott Medal for illustration in children’s literature.

Margaret Musgrove was born and raised in Connecticut, but she has lived and studied in Ghana. She supplemented her own experience with extensive research to write this children’s book which explains some of the customs and traditions of various African tribal peoples. In this work she examines 26 different tribes, across the African continent, from Ashanti to Zulu.

Leo and Diane Dillon’s illustrations are simple magnificent. In each portrait they not only illustrate the customs about which Musgrove writes, but they give a glimpse of more of the culture of that tribe. Most illustrations include a man, a woman, a child, a typical dwelling, some cultural artifact, and an animal indigenous to that tribe’s area of Africa. I found myself examining the many details of the pictures. As a bonus the front and back cover are two illustrations which are not contained within.

LINK to my review

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5549 comments The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
The Polar Express – Chris Van Allsburg
5*****

On Christmas Eve a boy struggles to stay awake, intent on hearing the jingle of bells from Santa’s sleigh. What he hears instead are the sounds of “hissing steam and squeaking metal,” and when he goes to the window he sees a train pulled up outside his house! Grabbing his robe and slippers he ventures outside and is just in time to climb aboard before the train sets off for the North Pole.

What a lovely Christmas story; it reminds children (and adults) of the magical power of belief. I wish I could still hear the jingle of bells.

The illustrations are richly detailed. I enjoyed examining each picture, looking for the train as it moves across the landscape. The expressions on the faces of the children aboard the train were marvelous, whether filled with excitement, or consoling the boy on the trip back home.

LINK to my review

message 4: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8037 comments Is this a year-long challenge?

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5549 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Is this a year-long challenge?"

Yes .... we read 50 of the Caldecott winners, and pair each one with a "regular, adult" book ... matching a cover item, theme, setting, author name or character name. I've completed 29 pairs so far, plus one Caldecott book that I haven't found a match for ... yet.

message 6: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8037 comments Ah, I see. Are you enjoying it?

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5549 comments Yes ... I am enjoying it ... and all the other challenges in the group Crazy Challenge Connection

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8189 comments Tessa is in my running for Prosperity Winner. Certainly in my top three with Susie and Jen. Though Karin might be a dark horse.

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5549 comments Amy wrote: "Tessa is in my running for Prosperity Winner. Certainly in my top three with Susie and Jen. Though Karin might be a dark horse."

I'm flattered you think so, Amy .... I'll be happy to get a couple more books off the tbr.